Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Munich in Late February

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

I'm scheduling a ED on Feb. 21, 2005. I'm really excited about getting my new 545.... but not sure what type of road (weather) conditions to expect. :'(

It looks like Munich is at a lower elevation and as long as I stay on the valley floor, I should be OK. My E39 is basically helpless on slick roads and it would surely break my heart to damage this NEW beauty or get stranded somewhere.

Any experience driving in and around Munich during late February?

How about driving from Munich to Venice?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
Old 12-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Munich to Venice you would have to drive through the Alpes, where there is definately snow until end of February or even mid March.
I wouldn't do that with a brand new 333HP RWD on summer tires.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 1 2004, 03:51 PM
Munich to Venice you would have to drive through the Alpes, where there is definately snow until end of February or even mid March.
I wouldn't do that with a brand new 333HP RWD on summer tires.
[snapback]63122[/snapback]
Thanks Iceman.... that's what I thought.
Do you have any suggested "low elevation" routes to travel during my 5 day stay in Europe?

Spartacus_33
Old 12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Where do you drop off?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

I drove though part of last winter with summer tires and plan on doing it again this winter. I will hand it to the German highway folks. If you see bad roads, just wait a couple of hours before you hit the roads. They will definately clean them. A lot better than the US. However, beware of salt and hose your car down. Any car wash has an under frame to clean it off.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 1 2004, 04:15 PM
Where do you drop off?
[snapback]63138[/snapback]
Iceman,
The drop off option sounds convenient... but I as I understand it someone "drives" your car to a port. That part bothers me a little. Might they abuse it? Possibly light up a big "cuban". If they were "trucking" the car back... the drop off thing might sound more appealing........ anyway........I'm undecided on the drop off.

I was thinking about staying in Munich the first night... driving and staying somewhere different each day, stopping along the way to see interesting sites. I've never been to Germany before. Maybe making a loop and taking the car back myself. Good idea or not?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
Old 12-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' date='Dec 2 2004, 07:49 AM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Dec 1 2004, 04:15 PM']Where do you drop off?
Iceman,
The drop off option sounds convenient... but I as I understand it someone "drives" your car to a port. That part bothers me a little. Might they abuse it? Possibly light up a big "cuban". If they were "trucking" the car back... the drop off thing might sound more appealing........ anyway........I'm undecided on the drop off.

I was thinking about staying in Munich the first night... driving and staying somewhere different each day, stopping along the way to see interesting sites. I've never been to Germany before. Maybe making a loop and taking the car back myself. Good idea or not?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
[snapback]63392[/snapback]
[/quote]

That only applies to Italy. It's to do with some Italian law about trucking cars out of their country. Any other drop off, the car will be trucked to the port by the shipping agent. I dropped off in Nice with 2040 on the clock. Took delivery in California with 2042. They don't drive your car other than on and off the trucks/trains at drop off, the port, onto the ship, off the ship, to customs, to VPC, onto the truck and off the truck at the dealer.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 2 2004, 09:24 AM
[quote name='Spartacus_33' date='Dec 2 2004, 07:49 AM'][quote name='Iceman' date='Dec 1 2004, 04:15 PM']Where do you drop off?
Iceman,

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
[snapback]63392[/snapback]
[/quote]

That only applies to Italy. It's to do with some Italian law about trucking cars out of their country. Any other drop off, the car will be trucked to the port by the shipping agent. I dropped off in Nice with 2040 on the clock. Took delivery in California with 2042. They don't drive your car other than on and off the trucks/trains at drop off, the port, onto the ship, off the ship, to customs, to VPC, onto the truck and off the truck at the dealer.
[snapback]63422[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hormazd,

Well.... that changes everything.........

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
Old 12-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Your European delivery package from BMW, which you'll receive about a month before your scheduled pick-up date, includes a European driving tours book that outlines different trips with mileage and sightseeing stops. Also, Rick Steve's travel books are excellent. We have the Germany/Austria/Switzerland issue. It's available at your local bookstore or library.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by branie555' date='Dec 2 2004, 10:14 AM
Your European delivery package from BMW, which you'll receive about a month before your scheduled pick-up date,? includes a European driving tours book that outlines different trips with mileage and sightseeing stops. Also, Rick Steve's travel books are excellent. We have the Germany/Austria/Switzerland issue. It's available at your local bookstore or library.?
[snapback]63441[/snapback]
Many thanks Brainie555

Quick Reply: Munich in Late February