Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

MP3 success on My 03/04 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i PDC / ADAPTIVE XENON HEDLIGHTS /FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS / NAV / PREMIUM / COLD WEATHER / EURO REFLECTORS /STAGGERED CHROMED 124S / PIAA 4700K FOGS / BLUETOOTH RETROFIT / REAR WOODED LIGHTER PANEL/MP3 RETROFIT

For all of you that have given up or figured that you would not be able to get mp3 capabilities, I have read numerous post that stated anybody with a build date before 03/05 could not be retrofitted for mp3 compatibility. The service bulletin also states that my vehicle is not compatible,but low and behold I have full mp3 functionality in the dash cd player and the dash DVD player also plays mp3's on a DVD disc. I went in for a Brake fluid service and I had a hesitation on cold acceleration.

So I mentioned that since they would probably update the software, I requested that they perform a Mp3 retrofit. The SA did not know about this retrofitting procedure he asked me if I wanted to add an aux plug. Upon reading the repair order I noticed that he wrote cd player not reading cd's. I went home and called the next morning and explained he must let the technician know that the procedure was called retrofitting mp3.

Shortly there after I got a call letting me know that my vehicle was ready and updated to 20.01. I asked him if mp3's would play in the dash and he said YES, I didn't believe it until I arrived and witnessed it for myself. What a Great feeling. Don't give up the ship I figured that the e60s out of the US had it from 2003 why shouldn't I be able to get it,so I took a shot at it. Good Luck all
Attached Thumbnails MP3 success on My 03/04 build-img_4003.jpg  
Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

That sounds very nice!

Did you find any bugs in CIP 20.xx ? Does the Pro Navigation work as well as before you got MP3 ?

How about the arrow wiev on the small screen (right). With my CIP 19.xx the arrow wiev comes up even if I drive with board info / journey info... Does it turn on automatic when the system say it's time to take a left turn, even in CIP 20 ? I really love that feature!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i PDC / ADAPTIVE XENON HEDLIGHTS /FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS / NAV / PREMIUM / COLD WEATHER / EURO REFLECTORS /STAGGERED CHROMED 124S / PIAA 4700K FOGS / BLUETOOTH RETROFIT / REAR WOODED LIGHTER PANEL/MP3 RETROFIT

So far so good no bugs found yet navaigation works fine, I dont use the arrow directions but I will check it out, touch tones while using bluetooth also work which I saw someone on the forum having problems with 20.01
Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 05' 545i Titanium Sliver, Black Dakota leather Sport Package, NAV, Premium Sound Package, AUX. input.

What is the build date of your car?
Did the dealer have to replace any radio components or computers?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW 545i Titanium Silver' post='248602' date='Mar 2 2006, 12:57 PM
What is the build date of your car?
Did the dealer have to replace any radio components or computers?
I figured as much. Mine, of course my luck, is a 02/05 build and the dealer wouldn't even try because of the MP3 capability chart. Another friend of mine who has a 01/05 pushed and pushed and they got MP3 playback working. How much can you push the dealer and how much information can you provide me to show the dealer that it will in fact work. The only thing that concerns me is that you have NAV and I don't - but that shouldn't make any difference should it?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Members

The build date is 03/04 and no components were changed to my knowledge. I was informed from another dealer that if I wanted wanted retrofitting that I would have probably update my CCC, so i went to another dealer actually the place of purchase and they updated the software and retrofitted the mp3 capabilities without any problems.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 05' 545i Titanium Sliver, Black Dakota leather Sport Package, NAV, Premium Sound Package, AUX. input.

It wouild be great if we could some how prove to these dealerships that there are others out there that are getting this to work.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW 545i Titanium Silver' post='248619' date='Mar 2 2006, 01:24 PM
It wouild be great if we could some how prove to these dealerships that there are others out there that are getting this to work.
Couldn't agree more. If we can get a list of these dealerships and the techs that did the work so we could pass on this information to our dealers maybe we could get something done. Or, if possible, have these dealers and techs that have made it work send a message to BMW NA to issue a bulletin about it.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Members

I also succeeded!! I have a 1/05 production 545 and picked it up today. Had 20.01 software update w/ mp3 retrofit. It took a couple of phone calls and pushing to have them do this. I think it stems out of poor ignorance on most of the SA's part. After I instructed him on what to do, he got it taken care of. I can say that MP3 works well at least in the CD drive. I haven't tried DVD drive or CD changer yet. As far as 20.01, the main things I have noticed are RDS in radio, much improved navigation w/ side icons and birds-eye perspective, much tighter Active Steering at higher speeds, and ?? faster shift points. I think that I upgraded from version 13 in my software. For anybody in Atlanta, I went to Nalley BMW--my SA name is John Campbell who now should be well-versed on retro-fitting mp3 on "older" e60's.
This forum is a great asset!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I think the reluctance on the part of dealers, even in the know, is the Service Bulletin. It clearly states 03/05 on. I believe there is a risk to either one function or another, however slight, by virture of early model CCCs. If one were to have some odd behavior in Nav or CD audio or maybe other areas it could be paossible to point to this as being the problem, unstable CCC.

I have not noted any changes to the CCC part numbers for pre and post 03/05 builds. If anybody has differing information we sure could use it here.

Quick Reply: MP3 success on My 03/04 build