Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

More Red Lights Please !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, 5/2/2005, Jet Black, Blk Leather, Cold W., Premium Sound, Sport, Comfort Seats, HUD, SMG

Woooooooooo whooooooooooooooo!

Took delivery 1/2 hour before the dealership closed on Friday (couldn't wait 'till Sat. of course!!), but my sales guy stayed 45 min OT to thoroughly explain features of the vehicle. The car looks beautiful with form, fit and finish all within expected limits. (pics forthcoming)

The car feels so solid; starting right at the door handle. Knobs, levers, hinges and handles all feel and, if applicable, sound solidly connected.

This car somehow directly connects the accelerator pedal to the facial smile muscles. With that, BMW has earned their slogan "the ultimate driving machine" once again. This is my second Bimmer since my 1987, 325 and boy have they come a long way. My most recent vehicle was an '02 ML320 (now handed down to the wife) and switching from the ML to this car is like night and day.

Here we go...
Option importance ranking before purchase:
1. HUD
2. NAV
3. SMG
4. Sport
5. Logic7
6. Comfort Seats
7. CW
8. Anthracite

Preferences after purchase (only 2 days worth of eval, so take it for what it's worth !):
1. SMG
2. SMG
3. SMG
4. Sport
5. Comfort seats
6. HUD / NAV (tie)
7. Logic7
8. CW
9. Anthracite

Although I'm still on the learning curve, IMO, SMG is the greatest part of this car. This makes driving so much fun and easy. Auto mode is much better than I expected based on feedback from this forum; it's great for handed cell phone use or while manipulating the idrive. The sound of the throttle blipping before the downshift is always reason for at least a one-cheek grin, I love it .
Cornering performance is so confidence inspiring that it's scary (gotta raise the HUD so I know better know how fast I'm going!!).

The seats. The seats. The seats. An expensive option? That's relative, but I'm sooooo happy with my decision to get 'em. I selected this option without witness and so I had relatively low/unknown expectations (position 6 of 8 on my before purchase ranking). Of all the options, this one surprised me the most. I was worried it would somehow soften the sportiness of the car; au contraire, these seats make you feel like you are a PART of the vehicle. The upper backrest articulation and 'skull clamps' work together beautifully to keep your head from swaying sideways during hard cornering. Also, the side bolsters and moveable lumbar all have ample travel range and I love how they release when you open the door to exit the vehicle.

Although the HUD / NAV is now position 6 on my list, the system works very well so far and the perspective NAV view is nice. However, I do wish for more display options on the HUD (ie: RPM !!!!! esp. for SMG / Manual users).

The Logic7 is REQUIRED. Although, feature-full, I'm not that impressed with the sound from this system and I wouldn't want to hear what the standard radio sounds like.

So, I'm still learning, but so far I love it !!!! Pics are coming (too much dust on it now, needs a wash !!). I need more excuses to drive ... can I pick up some bread or milk at the store for anyone?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Damn I kinda regret not getting the SMG after hearing of your experience....
Congrats on your new car by the way....
Old 06-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

SMG is awesome! Glad you realized... I hate when sales guys that dont know what they're talking aways say bad things about SMG.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Yeah and I was a victim...my sales guy said a stick would be way better and SMG in auto mode sucks.....dammit....although i never regret getting a stick...i should've been entitled to a better explanation of the smg....adn dealers here hardly have any smg 5 series...dont even bother about asking one for test drive....
Old 06-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Jun 27 2005, 09:51 PM
Yeah and I was a victim...my sales guy said a stick would be way better and SMG in auto mode sucks.....dammit....although i never regret getting a stick...i should've been entitled to a better explanation of? the smg....adn dealers here hardly have any smg 5 series...dont even bother about asking one for test drive....
[snapback]143675[/snapback]

Ya thats what our salesman said... smg in auto sucks and blah blah blah... I know... its not ment to be like automatic... although I wish it did... DSG anyone? but it will be mostly driven in manual mode and it can be driven really smoothly with practice...

the sales guy was against SMG which we got... and the sales guy was against Auburn with Silver Gray saying its too un triditional dont do it... which we got! LOL
Old 06-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

SMG!!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Contributors

Can't go wrong with SMG!! Hope you continue to enjoy it!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

The sales manager at my dealership explaind that they actively steer people away from the SMG becasue most people think of it as a substitute for the Step, and then are disappointed by how much driver input is required.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, 5/2/2005, Jet Black, Blk Leather, Cold W., Premium Sound, Sport, Comfort Seats, HUD, SMG

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Jun 28 2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah and I was a victim...my sales guy said a stick would be way better and SMG in auto mode sucks.....dammit....although i never regret getting a stick...i should've been entitled to a better explanation of? the smg....adn dealers here hardly have any smg 5 series...dont even bother about asking one for test drive....
[snapback]143675[/snapback]
Did you order your car? SOME of these sales people want to sell you something only from their lot, and due to SMG scarcity, there is not much incentive for them to push it. I had to test drive an M3 SMG to get a feel for its use. With the helpful comments in this forum, I made up my mind.
BTW, I use the stick for shifting during very slow speed (ie: while turning) -its otherwise difficult to hit the paddles when the steering wheel is rotating during a turn. Paddles are great for higher speeds on winding roads.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

I did order my car. 545 stick is already rare enough here in Boston....no dealer have that car in stock. Hmmm.....m3 smg is totally different than the 545 one, thats what my friend said, and I seem to agree because in the 545 smg, you do not have 11 modes like the m3 one....right??? Still....I would love to thing that SMG is the transmission for the future...

Quick Reply: More Red Lights Please !!!!