Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

M5 versus 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my 2002 Z4 3.0i with something more practical... and after considering the 5 series, 6 series, 7 series, and (shield your eyes) E-Class and SL-Class, I've narrowed it down to either a 550i or M5. Honestly, I wouldn't have even considered the M5 except that by the time I configured my 550i with almost every option availble (incl. M5 Aero Kit, Anthracite Headliner, Ventilated Seats, and requisite leather upgrade) the sticker price began to approach that of the M5.

Now, obviously if money were no obstacle, I'd choose the M5. More power, interior refinements, better HUD, active seats, etc. all are really appealing to me. I guess I'm looking for some reasons (aside from sticker price) why NOT to bankrupt myself for the M5. Hidden costs, for example? Or reliability issues? I've noticed several dealers in the Bay Area trying to charge a premium over the sticker price... is this legit? Any way to negotiate *down* the price of an M5?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

ok if the purchase price is not the issue then the only difference in hidden cost I see are that everything will be a little more expensive with M5:
1) insurance of M5 more expensive
2) mpg cost, I assume the M5 takes more gas then 550i
3) servicing M5 a little more expensive too
ad 3) I assume probably oil change twice as much as 550i, brake pads the same, tire worn, probably bigger tires in M5 therefore more expensive too....

The principle should be that if you can afford M5 you should have well enough money not to count every penny when it comes to servicing or other car related cost.

I hate seeing people here that are driving the S class but can't afford winter tires or they service their car in a garage under the bridge garage place because official dealership service is too expensive. I hate that. Better drive a VW but fully serviced and taken care of.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

Peter530i-

I was in Praha last Sept and loved the city - are you a native or a transplant?

i couldn't agree with you more - if you are concerned about the increased costs with an M5 upgrade then it isn't worth the extra money - I looked at the A8 but I got a great car for 20K less in the 530xi and a stick shift and better gas mileage.

also, if you live in a region with traffic then when is the m5 really going to show off it's 500 bhp? my 540i sport E34 was a monster and the 550i e60 is even faster - I'd go with the 550i and save your money.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by wulff1' post='220576' date='Jan 7 2006, 01:13 PM
Peter530i-

I was in Praha last Sept and loved the city - are you a native or a transplant?

i couldn't agree with you more - if you are concerned about the increased costs with an M5 upgrade then it isn't worth the extra money - I looked at the A8 but I got a great car for 20K less in the 530xi and a stick shift and better gas mileage.

also, if you live in a region with traffic then when is the m5 really going to show off it's 500 bhp? my 540i sport E34 was a monster and the 550i e60 is even faster - I'd go with the 550i and save your money.
hey, I'm glad you liked Praha. I'm a local

Agree with what you said about the M5 decision.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

If you are getting ALL of the options on the 550, then you are correct, you are approaching M5 territory. However, if you are adding all of those options to the M5, you are moving farther away from it (I beleive you will be at $95-$96K on the M5 with all the options (don't forget the M5 has a $3,800 (or is it $3,700?) gas guzzler tax that you don't see on the website). Dealers should be at MSRP - at least that's what most dealers are at around here. The 550 should be below MSRP making the difference much greater.

Since service is included, your only costs are going to be tires and gas. The M5 gets 12/18 so it is a hog - plus it has the SMG trans. Make sure you test drive that and like it - one plus for the 550 is the incredible automatic that is available.

Let us know what you go with!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

Appreciate the info on costs... am not too concerned about service costs given that the M5 will be under warranty for the first 4-6 years of its life... plus, whatever car I end up with, I'll expect end up using BMW service even after the warranty wears off, so I doubt you'll see me under the bridge! I'm also wondering if added fuel costs, etc. might be offset by the M5 holding its resale value better? Or if I end up leasing, would the residual value typically be higher/lower with the M5 vs. 550?

In the bay area M5s seem to be moving like hotcakes, suggesting that the $10k-$20k "market adjustments" tacked on by the local dealers are acceptable (at least to someone); are other US regions seeing the same thing? This seems like highway robbery to me...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

jdubbs, Couple of thoughts:

Your insurance should be substantially more, as will your gasoline bill. Over on the M5 forum they think in terms of single-digit MPG. Don't know now, but 15+ years ago, an M5 exhaust sytem was 3X that of my 535iS, though those were the days when Porsche or whomever was hand-assembling them for BMW, and they were really an exotic sedan.

Tires are rather special (read: soft) too; the upside of that is that they are NOT thumpflats.

I have an old friend out near you who has always had High-perf 5 with sticks. He finally threw in the towel and ordered automatic--he refused to ride the clutch in commute traffic anymore. Similarly, I thoroughly agree with the drive-before-you-buy sentiment on SMG. I think that's still a work in progress. I'd also want to know how many factory-trained techs they have to work on M5s.

Finally, I would never pay a premium over sticker for one, and I'd haggle on the gas guzzler tax too.

Good luck to you and your cash flow.

Ray Hull
Old 01-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, I'd buy 550i in a heartbeat because of "practicality". The 550i is more suitable for daily driver, and M5 is more of a weekend and track car.
Please consider these:
1. Gas consumption is at least 40% more
2. Insurance is about 30% more
3. Maintenance is 40% more
4. More engine noise in the cabin

Just imagine that you just bought a 550i, do you feel more comfortable with your financial situation compare to M5?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributors

also one thing I just have to say
do you guys in the US really get to ever use the full potential of the M5??? no offence but due to the speed limit facts and cops everywhere I seriously don't think so. However I'm not saying you can't buy one It is actually such a pity, the M5 is the cheapest in the country with the highest road law enforcement funny
Old 01-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

My 550i insurance is 40% less than my previous 03 M3. The gas mileage of the 550, so far, is about the same as the M3, ie. 16 mpg city, 25 mpg highway.

One concern I would have about the M5 is having to refule so often. This could get old. The other is the same concern I had with the M3, namely, no real place to exercise it on a regular basis.

I think the 550 is a pretty good compromise. Under the radar but still very fast.

Quick Reply: M5 versus 550i?