Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

At lease end is the buy-ouy negotiable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

My buy-out next year is $42,000.00. Does the dealer get the car for a few thousand less to compensate for the CPO? If so can this be negotiated?
Old 09-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='473315' date='Sep 23 2007, 09:59 AM
My buy-out next year is $42,000.00. Does the dealer get the car for a few thousand less to compensate for the CPO? If so can this be negotiated?
Everything is negotiable. The buyout is based on the estimated residual at the time the lease was executed. The actual value of the car now may be more or less. Whaterver the book value, like a new car, the price will be negotiable.

But as I understand it, the contract buyout would give you a non-CPO car. There is typically a $1000 - $1,500 up-charge to get the certification. Again, this will all be negotiable. I went through the process with one of my previous cars, though in the end I opted for a new instead of the buy out.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by robg' post='473385' date='Sep 23 2007, 05:20 PM
Everything is negotiable. The buyout is based on the estimated residual at the time the lease was executed. The actual value of the car now may be more or less. Whaterver the book value, like a new car, the price will be negotiable.

But as I understand it, the contract buyout would give you a non-CPO car. There is typically a $1000 - $1,500 up-charge to get the certification. Again, this will all be negotiable. I went through the process with one of my previous cars, though in the end I opted for a new instead of the buy out.
Is your lease with BMW? if so you have a chance; if not don't count on it.....I tried to negotiate my M3 buyout(not with BMW) and they didn't want to hear anything.
Good luck.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Not sure if it is negotiable, but I'm pretty sure BMW will CPO it for you before you buy it. You will need proper tires on it, ensure it passes their inspection, and then pay them a fee for the entire thing. It amounts to around $1500-$1800 bucks if they don't have to fix anything. Hopefully anything they have to fix would be under warranty anyway. If it turns out the vehicle has too much many things that need repaired, you can walk away, and not do the CPO. Whether you would still have to purchase the vehicle, I don't know, it would be prudent to check on this scenario before going thru the whole process.

Once it obtains CPO status, you can then purchase the car from BMW. Do not purchase it from them until CPO status is acheived. They can not CPO status on a car off the street. If you call up your dealer, they can walk you thru the process, and will be happy to do so, because they will make some money.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Members

Odds are that you will not be able to negotiate. The dealer does not have to take the car back and put it on their lot if they dont want to, so if the buy out numbers dont make sense, they really dont care. I believe the residual value is insured by a third party insurance company to BMW Financial or the bank who did the lease, so you are still twice removed from the party who actually cares about the price.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='473315' date='Sep 23 2007, 09:59 AM
A BMW dealer can buy an off-lease car directly from BMWFS for real (action) wholesale price. It is usually significantly less than the residual value. Then they can CPO it and sell it back to you. E.g. my 2002 540 had residual of $37K while the special price (forgot how they called it) was between $28 and 29K. In my case my dealer bought my car (to help me avoid over the mileage penalty) but I had no interest in buying it and it was sold to someone else. I do not think you can negotiate with BMWFS much. You need to work with your (or any other) BMW dealer.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer (I have sent them over 15 buying customers in the past 1.5 years) so I will wait and see what the true value of the car will be and negotiate accordingly.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='473458' date='Sep 23 2007, 10:21 PM
A BMW dealer can buy an off-lease car directly from BMWFS for real (action) wholesale price. It is usually significantly less than the residual value. Then they can CPO it and sell it back to you. E.g. my 2002 540 had residual of $37K while the special price (forgot how they called it) was between $28 and 29K. In my case my dealer bought my car (to help me avoid over the mileage penalty) but I had no interest in buying it and it was sold to someone else. I do not think you can negotiate with BMWFS much. You need to work with your (or any other) BMW dealer.

So you're saying don't buy out the car from BMWFS, but get your dealer to agree to buy it at their price from BMWFS when you turn it it, then sell it back to you an a price agreed upon in advance? That seems like a pretty good way around the "system". Your dealer makes a small profit for basically doing nothing, and you get the car at a price cheaper than the buyout.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by mikeg7' post='473622' date='Sep 24 2007, 01:23 PM
So you're saying don't buy out the car from BMWFS, but get your dealer to agree to buy it at their price from BMWFS when you turn it it, then sell it back to you an a price agreed upon in advance? That seems like a pretty good way around the "system". Your dealer makes a small profit for basically doing nothing, and you get the car at a price cheaper than the buyout.
There is no guarantee that they will limit themselves to a small profit. Sure you can get a better deal, since your are there and ready to buy but they still would want to make good money on the deal. We did not go into details but the sales guy mentioned low-mid thirties for the car with CPO. Still was much better than $37K buy-out for the non-CPO car.