Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

The latest in a series

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by branie555' post='406915' date='Mar 25 2007, 11:30 PM
The latest installment in my BMW tale of woe:

There is yet another serious malfunction in my 545 that began today. At about 4:00pm, after making a short stop (with the engine fully warmed up) of about 15 minutes, I restarted the vehicle and heard a very loud grating (grinding?) noise in the engine compartment. Additionally, the engine was idling very roughly with the tach needle bouncing up and down. The service engine soon? light was alight on the dash and an Engine Malfunction warning appeared on the I-drive screen. I immediately shut the engine off and let it sit for a moment. I restarted the engine and turned off the air conditioner to see if that made any difference. The idle was still rough but the noise was gone. After revving the engine a few times the idle returned to normal and the warning lights disappeared.

Later in the day, (about 5pm) I started the car again and the idle was again very rough. This time an increased emissions? message appeared on the I-Drive and again the service engine light on the dash. This evening, after another restart, both malfunction warnings have reappeared on the screen and the service engine light remains lit continuously. The car seems to operate normally once underway and the problem seems to be limited to start ups.

I am very hesitant to drive the car any further and risk potential damage to the engine.

The engine was completely replaced in November of 2006 and the software was updated to 24.xx just this past week (I await the magic Progman 25!). This car has been in for service at least ten times over the past two years, for various reasons (noisy tires, noisy engine, noisy door seals, noisy steering column, tranny slam, window anti trap malfunction, seat heater, slow I-drive response after start, cold idle fluctuation, CD changer, etc, etc) for a total of over 45 days. The dealer has been very accommodating, but since this car is a replacement for a Trade Assist on my previous, problem plagued 2004 530, and as there is less than a year left on the lease (Dec. 07), BMW 's position is that they will continue to fix the car under warranty (gee, thanks), or will take me out of the lease, and refund the unused portion of my down payment which right now amounts to less than $1000. Ever been between a rock and hard place? This is what it feels like. BMW seems to have no regard for the fact that the vehicle has been out of service for nearly two months. In other words, I get to make twelve lease payments, drive the car for eleven months and they get to work on it the twelfth month, leaving me with a loaner which is usually far less desirable that my beautiful black 545 sport.

This is not to say I don't love the car. I do. I would surely buy another if I could be reasonably assured it would be at least a little more reliable. There is a running joke among my friends, family, and business associates as to what kind of BMW or Mini loaner I will show up in next. They just don't get it, how much enjoyment one can get from a great car that is running right. I don't beat on my Bimmer, taking good care as is it my daily driver. The guys at the service dept. often comment on how nice the car looks when it comes in for service, with the 166 wheels and all. They get plenty of chances to see it, too! I guess you guys get the picture by now. Love the car, great service, lousy build quality and reliability.

Maybe I just need a pep talk. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='408795' date='Mar 30 2007, 09:33 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
I'm a little confused. I've had two calls in the past week from Customer Relations, and both seemed to be in response to the after service "survey" I recently answered, regarding a previous service visit. Neither rep seemed to have the first clue about why they were even contacting me! Neither of the rep's had anything new to bring to the table except that were sorry for my problems. Period. Nothing else they could do, they said, if I had already had an offer to be to taken out of the lease from the area rep. This would be fine if BMW would consider giving me a deal on a new car, but according to the GM of my dealership, that's not going to happen. I offered to purchase a new vehicle Euro Delivery if I could get it at invoice, but he said they only do ED's at ED MSRP. I'm not sure if this means they'd rather I didn't purchase another vehicle from them. I understand the rationale for this statement is that I have less than 9 months left on my lease. In my view, I have been inconvenienced consistently for the past 12 to 18 months with car being in for service so frequently. I guess people tend to see only their side of an issue, so I can understand where BMW is coming from. But there are always TWO sides to any issue!

I am and will remain open to any reasonable resolution. Thank you.

Bill Ranieri
Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Progman 25 has been installed (only took them a week to do it) and the engine is definitely performing better, though we haven't had as warm weather as when the problem occurred. I'll let you know how things progress. Like the new graphics, though. Steering column noisy on shutdown again too.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Contributors

oops!