Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

LAG AND TRANSMISSION MAY BE FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

I wanted to update some of you regarding some of the issues that have risen in our vehicles. Many of you may remember that I took my car to the dealer last week complaining of the thump in the transmission when releasing the brake and a lag in acceleration. I got the car back and was told that it was good and that the software was updated to the newest version which is 33.3 I believe.

I got the car home and it did not feel any different. The next day it began doing the transmission dance more frequently. I called BMW and made an appointment for yesterday. I brought the car in and took it for a test drive with the shop mechanic foreman. I explained to him exactly what was going on and we went for a test drive. Needless to say shit never goes wrong when they are in the car and surprise as I got into the highway and approached 20 miles an hour I attempted to accelerate and pushed the gas peddle up to the indent point and the car just took it's time slowly accelerating. I almost came out of my seat telling the foreman "you see what I mean I'm at the indent point"! and he said I see.

Make a long story short these were the issues fixed and what they wrote on the receipt:

#1 AUTO TRANS DIAG
NIC IS WORSE THAN BEFORE;

AS PER SIB 240308 PERFORMED CONVERTER CLUTCH LOCKUP RETROFIT USING ISTAP. THE RETROFIT WAS NOT IN THE SOFTWARE.
PUMA CASE# 23994850 INSTALLED AND SUPPLIED VO INTO VEHICLE.

#2 LAG
LAG WHEN ACCELERATING

AS PER SIB 111307 PERFORMED WASTEGATE VALVE CONVERSION
AS PER PUMS CASE# 23994850 PERFORMED RETROFIT

SOFTWARE UPDATED AGAIN

END.

I have to say that the car really felt responsive for the 30 miles that I drove it. I have to give it a good test but I was pleased with the feeling I got from the acceleration and responsiveness. Time will tell. I hope this informs some of you and helps in your quest to get the car properly corrected.

Here is one of the old links I found started by member cobradav with a lot of info on SIB's. As far as the PUMA cases assigned to my issues I believe the corrections had to be approved by the engineers at BMW in Germany.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19188

Rick.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

BUMPY
Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

AFAIK, 33.1+ will have the "lag fix" for our n54 engines...also, if you plan on running a tune on your e60...choose carefully as the newer software has tuner/manipulation detection which will void your warranty...

glad it was resolved rick, hope it stays that way, happy motoring
Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='886934' date='May 22 2009, 06:47 PM
BUMPY
Patience, you barely gave people enough time to read your post before you bumped

Glad it worked out
Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='886936' date='May 22 2009, 06:49 PM
Patience, you barely gave people enough time to read your post before you bumped

Glad it worked out
Bumped because I changed the headline. Hope the info helps a few concerned owners.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='886981' date='May 22 2009, 07:39 PM
Bumped because I changed the headline. Hope the info helps a few concerned owners.
Oh, well anything transmission related is always helpful
Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Rick, this is an awesome post which I will be using as ammunition very soon. Thank you for posting.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='887359' date='May 23 2009, 03:53 AM
Rick, this is an awesome post which I will be using as ammunition very soon. Thank you for posting.
As you know I'm on top of BMW when it comes to my car. I bought my car new and paid allot of money for it. I want what I paid for and won't settle for less. It's best to be informed when dealing with the service department because most of the time they feed you a placebo pill and your on your way happy.

If you feel there is something wrong with the car and it's under warranty don't ponder around take it in and explain your concern clearly and get the car fixed. I don't mean to be a thorn in their bush but the car should be right from inception. Other than routine maintenance every time your there to fix something it's your time that's being waisted not theirs.

A funny thing is that most of the employees know me by my first name, from sales to the loaner person. Oh well

Rick.