Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Just got '04 530i back from service--CIP problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

We just had our car in the shop for over a week because they had promised us Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) during delivery of our CPO 2004 530i and could never get them programmed in multiple previous tries.

This time: over a week in the shop! They tried different software loads, different light control modules, etc. When my wife picked it up she asked them what version of the software they had loaded and they told her the build date of the car. She said, "No, what CIP version did you load?" They had (or claimed) no idea what that meant and told her nothing.

I saw the recent post pointing to the "Software Errors Corrected with CIP" TIS, so I went into the menu and found my "target data" string: 05-09-510. That appears to correspond to 19.0, which is a pretty recent version, so all should be good, right?

Here are the problems:

1) No more Bluetooth--we used to have it, now it just says to contact your BMW center. Is there any way for us to re-enable it, or do we have to go back to the dealer? We never paid to have BT turned on, so I'm assuming the previous owner had done it, but we shouldn't have to pay to have it turned BACK ON, right? It was working when it went in--it should work now.

2) The in-dash single CD player won't play MP3 CDs. I put in a disc from my other car that has multiple folders (i.e. Artist, then Album, etc.) and it said something like "Media Can't Be Read" I thought the folder structure might be a problem, so I burned a new CD with only MP3s in the root level--same problem. Am I missing something on the MP3 playback?

3) Finally, I was also under the impression from reading on here that the newer versions of the CIP were resulting in better acceleration and shifting, with slightly better fuel economy--is that still the general consensus? I ask because her economy rating was at 15.4 when I just checked it--it was at 18.8 or 18.9 when it went in for service. I was really hoping for better than 19 mpg.

I'm pretty discouraged and confused by this state of events, so any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated. It's bad enough to have had the car out of service for over a week...it's worse to get it back with fewer features than it went in with!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told that CIP 19 might take away your BT.
For playing MP3 capability, it's not available in MY2004. Don't expect to have that after SW update.
After installing 13.x, my 530i driving like a piece of shit in D mode. Now is more like a little piece of shit in D mode. Still not solve the problem completely. I don't know what BMW is doing. Do you see any better response in D mode after SW update? I got 19.1 MPG on the computer, so I don't know if it's true or not.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Originally Posted by my530i' post='195594' date='Nov 9 2005, 07:44 AM
For playing MP3 capability, it's not available in MY2004. Don't expect to have that after SW update.
After installing 13.x, my 530i driving like a piece of shit in D mode. Now is more like a little piece of shit in D mode. Still not solve the problem completely. I don't know what BMW is doing. Do you see any better response in D mode after SW update? I got 19.1 MPG on the computer, so I don't know if it's true or not.

19.02, at least in France do not take BT away, you just have to reinitiate the process. To do that follow instruction booklet from the beginning and cancel the link on your mobile.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='195594
Originally Posted by my530i' post='195594' date='Nov 9 2005, 07:44 AM

19.02, at least in France do not take BT away, you just have to reinitiate the process. To do that follow instruction booklet from the beginning and cancel the link on your mobile.
Thanks, FJPM, but unfortunately I don't have an instruction booklet for BT. Do you have one and can you summarize? I could have sworn that last time, I:

Clicked the iDrive controller to go into settings
Scrolled to Communications and clicked
Had the option here to enable BT under phone

Maybe I'm missing something--any help you can provide? Thank you!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 04530i' post='195565' date='Nov 9 2005, 12:40 AM
We just had our car in the shop for over a week because they had promised us Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) during delivery of our CPO 2004 530i and could never get them programmed in multiple previous tries.

This time: over a week in the shop! They tried different software loads, different light control modules, etc. When my wife picked it up she asked them what version of the software they had loaded and they told her the build date of the car. She said, "No, what CIP version did you load?" They had (or claimed) no idea what that meant and told her nothing.

I saw the recent post pointing to the "Software Errors Corrected with CIP" TIS, so I went into the menu and found my "target data" string: 05-09-510. That appears to correspond to 19.0, which is a pretty recent version, so all should be good, right?

Here are the problems:

1) No more Bluetooth--we used to have it, now it just says to contact your BMW center. Is there any way for us to re-enable it, or do we have to go back to the dealer? We never paid to have BT turned on, so I'm assuming the previous owner had done it, but we shouldn't have to pay to have it turned BACK ON, right? It was working when it went in--it should work now.

2) The in-dash single CD player won't play MP3 CDs. I put in a disc from my other car that has multiple folders (i.e. Artist, then Album, etc.) and it said something like "Media Can't Be Read" I thought the folder structure might be a problem, so I burned a new CD with only MP3s in the root level--same problem. Am I missing something on the MP3 playback?

3) Finally, I was also under the impression from reading on here that the newer versions of the CIP were resulting in better acceleration and shifting, with slightly better fuel economy--is that still the general consensus? I ask because her economy rating was at 15.4 when I just checked it--it was at 18.8 or 18.9 when it went in for service. I was really hoping for better than 19 mpg.

I'm pretty discouraged and confused by this state of events, so any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated. It's bad enough to have had the car out of service for over a week...it's worse to get it back with fewer features than it went in with!
I can't help except to say that software updating seems to be something of a crap shoot. I had to have a new "transmitter" and, thus, a software install. I have no idea what was in the car, but I bought it in 6/05. The reinstall apparently was 19.01.01. All seems good so far, including Bluetooth, but I have not checked my running lights. As I recall, to get Bluetooth back, I went to an iDrive menu that indicated that Bluetooth could be activated from the menu, had my phone search for available Bluetooth devices, and, last, re-paired with my car. Subsequently, my phone book loaded, and all was well. My initial impression is that the car shifts faster, and at a slightly higher RMP, as least in DS. My only advice is to go to another dealer and get another reinstall.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by donv' post='195669' date='Nov 9 2005, 07:14 AM
I can't help except to say that software updating seems to be something of a crap shoot. I had to have a new "transmitter" and, thus, a software install. I have no idea what was in the car, but I bought it in 6/05. The reinstall apparently was 19.01.01. All seems good so far, including Bluetooth, but I have not checked my running lights. As I recall, to get Bluetooth back, I went to an iDrive menu that indicated that Bluetooth could be activated from the menu, had my phone search for available Bluetooth devices, and, last, re-paired with my car. Subsequently, my phone book loaded, and all was well. My initial impression is that the car shifts faster, and at a slightly higher RMP, as least in DS. My only advice is to go to another dealer and get another reinstall.
DonV: thanks for the response. If you could possibly remember any more detail about how you re-enabled BT, that would be great.

As far as going to another dealer, I don't think that's an option for us. The only reason we took the car in was because the salesperson promised us DRLs during delivery--we weren't there to get a CIP upgrade, they just told us after the fact that they had needed to upgrade the software. After finding out that they had upgraded it, and now features were missing...that's when I came here looking for advice.

I guess my thought is that we wanted them to deliver on their promise to provide DRLs. If they upgraded software and it cost us the BT feature that we previously had, then they should restore that feature to us at no charge. That seems reasonable to me.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 04530i' post='196070' date='Nov 9 2005, 09:03 PM
DonV: thanks for the response. If you could possibly remember any more detail about how you re-enabled BT, that would be great.
ACTIVATING BLUETOOTH E60/E63/E64

This procedure must be carried out first in order to properly pair a handset to the vehicle.

[S8404U11.JPG]
1. From the start menu press briefly down on the controller.
2. Scroll down to the "Communication settings" and select.

[8404U123.JPG]
3. Select "Bluetooth" and press controller.
4. Select "Settings" and press controller.
5. Select "Bluetooth communication active" and press the controller to activate the connection.
8. Exit back to the start menu.

PAIRING THE HANDSET TO THE VEHICLE E60/E63/E64
[S8404U11.JPG]
Turn the key on.

From the start menu press briefly down on the controller.

Scroll down to the "Communication settings" and select.

[S8404U85.JPG]
Select "Bluetooth" and press controller.

Select "Phone" and press controller.

Once the message "Bluetooth connectable in this menu" is displayed the vehicle is in pairable mode.

[S8404U86.JPG]
Your handset should now be set to search for BT devices. See the Owner's Manual for your handset
For Motorola V3: Goto settings > Connection > Select Bluetooth > Setup > Power > Turn on the Bluetooth capability > Exit back out to the ?Bluetooh Link? main screen
Select Hands Free (first option) > Look for devices. Now it should find your Car showing your VIN Number.

Note: Selecting the ?Find Me? option on the phone will not work. The car does not search for other bluetooth devices, your phone needs to ?LOOK for devices? instead (option only available when Bluetooth power is turned on)

In order to pair you must enter a random passkey both via the handset and via the CID. The passkey can be any number that you choose up to 16 digits long.

Via the CID select "Add device" and press controller.

[8404U122.JPG]
Enter your passkey. Depending on the handset, you will have approximately 30 seconds to enter the passkey on the handset and the CID.

Enter the same passkey in the handset and in the display.

Select "Confirm passkey and press the controller.

[S8404U87.JPG]
After a few seconds your device will be listed.

Depending on the handset, the device will ask you to accept connection.

You must exit this menu in order for the handset to operate correctly.

Turn the key off. When the key is turned on the handset will connect and transfer the phonebook entries from the handset. This may take several minutes depending on the size of the phonebook.

Up to 4 handsets can be paired to the vehicle.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Members

EBMCS03, thanks for posting the steps. I definitely no longer have that BT menu, so back to the dealer we'll go.

Thanks, everyone, for your help on this!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 04530i' post='196530' date='Nov 10 2005, 08:30 PM
EBMCS03, thanks for posting the steps. I definitely no longer have that BT menu, so back to the dealer we'll go.

Thanks, everyone, for your help on this!

No problem... thats very weird... I thought it was suppose to be availabe after a certain CIP... and since you bought the car with bluetooth that means its been paied for arleady by the previous owner so they should enable it back for you.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Members

I have the same problem

I went to a dealer for fixing my trunk (opens by him self on the sun)

after picking up the car i noticed

1. Bluetooth doesn't work any more
2. The consuption is a little less (0,5 l)
3. Acceleration is slightly better
4. Shifting is harder not so smoothly
5. CD player doesn't remember track number when stops playing
6. New prospektive mode (Navigation)
7. No daylights
8. They erase all my data
9. The radio (all stations) sometimes stops working
10. When I start car The last radio station wich was lisened is changed...

Many more failures...

I went to BMW dealer I have to wait for new software....

So Bluetooth is not working and I have to accept this????