Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

just back from Munich

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered 550i ED on 9/24/05. Titanium silver, priority one seating (black), steptronic, sports package, premium sound system, active steering, comfort access, power rear sunshades, navigation, head up display, rear door air bag

Flawless trip thanks to Beewang's navigational dvd disc. I totally recommend getting the navigation system if you go the European Delivery route. Then beg, borrow, or buy a European disc. The added security of having the BMW lady navigate your car around is well worth the price you will pay. I lucked out and got 4 good days of weather and put 1503 miles on my new fantastic 550i. On day four, I raced to 152 mph on the autobahn. Sure there was a lot of wind noise and I wasn't able to run that speed for long (you catch traffic kinda quick at that speed), but the memory will last me until I stop breathing. Taking the picture wasn't as dangerous as you might think -- just don't look thru the viewfinder and hang on tight with your left hand.
The German roads and German driver are far superior to what we have in the States. Though paying $1.36 per liter for Super Plus is not something I want to do everyday.
Thanks everyone who contributes to this forum. You helped me make the best decision of my life -- buying the car and taking European Delivery.
Attached Thumbnails just back from Munich-e60_2.jpg   just back from Munich-e60_3.jpg   just back from Munich-e60_1.jpg  
Old 12-18-2005, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Duckman, that is some car you have there. What car were you driving previous to this purchase and how does it compare? Your car looks strangely similar to the one I just purchased. Congratulations!

Just noticed something. You went over 150mph prior to reaching 1200 miles. I guess I'm not doing as bad as I thought on my breakin.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sure you really enjoyed the trip. And, I am glad you are still breathing.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Ordered 550i ED on 9/24/05. Titanium silver, priority one seating (black), steptronic, sports package, premium sound system, active steering, comfort access, power rear sunshades, navigation, head up display, rear door air bag

Originally Posted by darkside' post='212798' date='Dec 18 2005, 09:34 AM
Duckman, that is some car you have there. What car were you driving previous to this purchase and how does it compare? Your car looks strangely similar to the one I just purchased. Congratulations!

Just noticed something. You went over 150mph prior to reaching 1200 miles. I guess I'm not doing as bad as I thought on my breakin.
Yes but I was real close to breakin' 1200 miles when I did that. I could not wait until Friday to try for the record speed. Bad weather was expected and it arrived. The wind was exceptionally strong on Friday. I held my speed to only 110 mph. Didn't want anything bad to happen to my baby.
I drove my 1995 Buick to the Washington airport and was quite disappointed in its performance on my way home from the airport. The steering response is so detached on the Buick. And the V-6 performance from the GM car is several magnitudes behind the mind-numbing power of the 4.8 liter powerplant BMW provides.
I have not yet exceeded 5000 rpms yet so I can only imagine what that feels like, but I will say that 5000 rpms is kinda scary. Passing on the 2-lane country roads when quickness was extremely important was exhilerating -- though I never applied the kickdown procedure during this break-in run.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Sounds like fun! Gotta love the autobahn!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Nice and Congrats.

Not sure If I want to know the answer to this, but how did you get the picture? It looks like you took it while driving?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Duckman, Very Nice and Congratulations.

Just, do not try to do the 150+, and take the picture either on the Beltway or I95!

Joe
Old 12-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

awesome experience I bet. congrats! how long will you have to wait for her now?
Old 12-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Very nice!! I have to do Euro Next time! HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO!

Nice pics. Love the Speedo one.

How cold was it there? Looks a little white.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='212827
awesome experience I bet. congrats! how long will you have to wait for her now?
Hey girl -- like the green hat -- very fly. The standard line is "six to eight weeks". Since I am on the east coast, I am hoping for something closer to six weeks. The people who handle the car's departure at the drop-off locations say that a truck will pick up my car on Monday and move it to the port where it will leave. They have no idea at this time when the boat will sail. I am trying not to think about the car's journey and the length of this separation. No reason to raise my anxiety fretting over this situation I can not control. Maybe I should be planning a trip to South Carolina when my car arrives????

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='212888' date='Dec 18 2005, 03:57 PM
Very nice!! I have to do Euro Next time! HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO!

Nice pics. Love the Speedo one.

How cold was it there? Looks a little white.
Munich was in the low to mid 20's at night and about 10-15 degrees warmer than that during the day. But with heated seats, all the critical parts were toasty. And the killer Logic 7 was awesome. The music cds I brought got a major work-out. Quiet comfortable surroundings with beautiful sound -- a great mixture.
By the way, the new double cd from Kate Bush is lovely. The music carresses you and transports you to a higher plain of existence.

Quick Reply: just back from Munich