Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Items stolen from car while in for BMW service

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

I just left the dealer after having my O2 sensor replaced since my service engine soon light came on a few weeks ago. I had a great experience at the dealer (for the first time EVER) and during my drive home I noticed that I was missing a few items that were in my center console. The major losses were a series of gift cards that I had in there (about $400-$500 worth). I immediately called the dealer and spoke with a manager and he told me he would see what he could find out, but tried to assure me that they would "make it right" - in his words. Being late in the day on Friday I understand that he couldn't really do much more, but I'm still pissed nonetheless. Before I dropped off the car I made sure to grab my ipod, iphone, laptop, and briefcase from the car, but forgot to check the center console.

I have a feeling that at VERY BEST I'll end up with a couple hundred dollar BMW service/accessory credit which I'll have absolutely no use for. Oh well, I guess I should be more careful next time.

Sorry, just needed to vent
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

You are supposed to NOT leave valuables in the car when dropping off for service... There's BIG signs every where right lol..
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear, esp. since that reinforces the fact that there is dishonesty and thievery everywhere.

I never leave anything of value in the car as a general rule that doesn?t have to be there.

Just curious: why did you store gift cards in the car to begin with?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='444265' date='Jul 6 2007, 05:33 PM
Just curious: why did you store gift cards in the car to begin with?
Because if you left them at home, you would probably never use them! And they make your wallet fat. Gift cards are lame gifts. Just give me cash!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='444268' date='Jul 6 2007, 08:39 PM
Because if you left them at home, you would probably never use them! And they make your wallet fat. Gift cards are lame gifts. Just give me cash!
I?ve never been given one and have never given one. I dislike cash gifts also, shows a lack of thoughtfulness on the giver?s part. I prefer more personalized gifts.

Companies who sell the gift cards and gift certificates make a fortune above and beyond the merchandise. Many are not redeemed. My father (retired CEO) once told me 33% of his gift certificates were never used.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='444287' date='Jul 6 2007, 07:49 PM
I?ve never been given one and have never given one. I dislike cash gifts also, shows a lack of thoughtfulness on the giver?s part. I prefer more personalized gifts.

Companies who sell the gift cards and gift certificates make a fortune above and beyond the merchandise. Many are not redeemed. My father (retired CEO) once told me 33% of his gift certificates were never used.
I think gift cards are just as thoughtless as cash. At least with cash, I can spend it on whatever I want. What am I going to buy with a $20 Best Buy gift certificate? Buy a movie DVD or music CD? :thumbsdown:

BTW, Best Buy is starting to have expiration on their gift cards now. Go figure.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='444287' date='Jul 6 2007, 09:49 PM

In the US there are laws that govern how a company must handle unredeemed balances on gift cards. The company does not get to keep it.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Man that sucks. Twice I left valuables in the car and luckly nothing happened.

once was a digital camera that I left on the passenger floor at one dealer and second time was a Garmin Navigation system left on the passenger floor I guess i got lucky... either that or the services guys are more honest.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that unnecessary experience. +1 sucks to know there is dishonesty and thievery as jspira stated. i can relate to keeping gift cards and what not in the car, like right now i have some movie tickets underneath my carl's jr coupon book in the center storage underneath the cd insert hahaha. but yeah at the dealer make sure you remove all valuables. im glad that most of the time i dont have to worry about that because 1, i know the technician, and 2, most of the time he takes me back there with him and my baby
Old 07-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

I know my dealer makes me sign a form that states. all item like cd's, radar, phones, other valuable ect are removed from the car. I also do a walk around and the sa marks any paint and rim "imperfections" and sign off on it. That way if anything is wrong w/ the car the have a record. he even checks to make sure the Nave works to make sure the disc is in the car. Sorry to hear that that happened but you would think that a BMW dealer would have staff which is hones

Quick Reply: Items stolen from car while in for BMW service