Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I wrecked my car. Insurance claim advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenbeboo' post='968161' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:45 PM
I had the exact proble, a lady blew a stop sign and i hit her right in the middle.. THE SAME WAY
A HOUR AFTER BUYING THE CAR
The insurance company payed for oem bmw parts, I just took a check and bought the m-tech kit
to compansate for the lost of value do to the crash, i installed the m-tech kit to gain some value.

i would post pics, but it said the pic are to large.

Resize the pictures and post them.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='962784' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:13 AM
I was out with my wife yesterday and this guy in a corolla jumped the stop sign. I saw him and started pressing on the brakes or else it would have been worse for him. Anyway here is the result.

The other guy was at fault and he even got a ticket. I obtained his insurance information, he is insured by allstate.

I have a couple of questions:

Will his insurance company put me in a similar rental car and not some Toyota echo, since I use for business too?

Will his insurance company compensate me for diminution in value ? I will be selling the car after it is fixed and any record of a wreck will surely depress the resale value of my car.

My car is certified and must be fixed by a certified body shop with BMW parts. Do insurance companies have to pay for Manufacturer parts when there is a comparable aftermarket part? I would imagine that they must pay in my circumstance.
These cars are highly electronic. They also have a ton of aluminum in them. Alum cracks. Electronics cause a domino effect with other electronic sensors. Air bag might not go off, but sensors will fail. Seat belt retractors will "shoot the bullet." More sensors.

Even in small accidents.

Take car to BMW dealer; give them the keys to fix. They and ins company can duke it out.
Indy shops cannot always complete all repairs; they frequently will take car to BMW dealer for detailed repairs. Do it right; don't waste going back and forth.

I have friends at BMW service depts, body shops, etc. They can tell dozens of war stories. Ins will cover repairs.

Re diminished value, Texas recognizes it. Some other states do; some don't.

PM me, and I will send you contact on an expert in San Antonio who will be able to provide some free advice. He is nice guy, and will help anyone--even BMW owners!! lol
Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='962784' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:13 AM
I was out with my wife yesterday and this guy in a corolla jumped the stop sign. I saw him and started pressing on the brakes or else it would have been worse for him. Anyway here is the result.

The other guy was at fault and he even got a ticket. I obtained his insurance information, he is insured by allstate.

Will his insurance company put me in a similar rental car and not some Toyota echo, since I use for business too?

Will his insurance company compensate me for diminution in value ? I will be selling the car after it is fixed and any record of a wreck will surely depress the resale value of my car.

My car is certified and must be fixed by a certified body shop with BMW parts. Do insurance companies have to pay for Manufacturer parts when there is a comparable aftermarket part? I would imagine that they must pay in my circumstance.
I estimate $12k damage--especially after you lift the hood. Tons of electronics and (cracked) aluminum parts. These newer cars ain't like the 90 model cars.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='969054' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:32 PM
Resize the pictures and post them.
Keep us posted.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 528i Lexus LS460 Lexus GX470 Lexus RX300 Silversport

One way to have this accident not appear on your carfax is to CHOKE the other driver and make him pay with his own money and not do an insurance claim lol. It could have been worse, but the bad part about this now is dealing with insurance. It's a big pain in the butt. I'm still having problems with my insurance because of the accident I was involved in which I wasn't at fault. Already had the car fixed (BTW it wasn't my E60 that got into an accident) and I still need to pound my insurance to pay for it! I picked up the car and had to leave my own check at the bodyshop because my insurance never mailed me any check to pay the bodyshop with. :thumbsdown:
Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='962784' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:13 AM

The other guy was at fault and he even got a ticket. I obtained his insurance information, he is insured by Allstate.

Be insistent and stress the safety factors that made you buy the BMW in the first place and how you should not be "At Risk" because their insured caused this accident! They should come around with a much better car! The last time I had a car in for repairs from an accident caused by another driver, I made some noise and ended up driving a Mercedes E-class for a month, and the rental cost MORE than the repairs did!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Members

**Update*

I just got a call from the BMW certified body shop and their initial estimate is $21k. He thinks it will top out at $24K. The car is a certified 545i with 60k miles. Do you guys think it will be totaled?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 528i Lexus LS460 Lexus GX470 Lexus RX300 Silversport

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='982504' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:17 PM
**Update*

I just got a call from the BMW certified body shop and their initial estimate is $21k. He thinks it will top out at $24K. The car is a certified 545i with 60k miles. Do you guys think it will be totaled?
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how "strong" you are with your insurance. It's borderline but if insurance isn't willing to total it, then they may just crank out that $21-24k.. When I picked up my other car from the shop, the shop told me that some guy who drives an 06 740i never picked up his car because the repairs costed $22k and apparently it wasn't considered TOTAL... But then again maybe he never ran it through insurance so that's why he has to write that $22k check.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='982504' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:17 PM
**Update*

With that kind of damage, there is a good chance that it will be totaled.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='982504' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:17 PM
**Update*

Have the shop give you an itemized list of what needs to be repaired. If there is anything suspension or frame related (there probably is) - I'd push for the car to get totaled.

Quick Reply: I wrecked my car. Insurance claim advice needed