Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I built my own BMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems to be a great forum and I have already sent a few posts without properly introducing myself. I?m in the expecting phase for a new 530D touring - production week 28 - and I hope it?s OK for me to be in this forum as the E61 department seems inactive. When I got my first new car ever 5yrs ago (a 320D e46) I tremendously enjoyed to spend waiting-for-the-car-time on the roadfly e46 board but there seems to be no joy, entertainment or valuable info on the e60 board over there anymore.

I work in fine arts and media electronics so I?m happy to have gadgets and conceptual forms as both income and obsession. In retrospect it seems my car history has the unusual aspect as a hidden agenda perhaps - rather than the sporty handling that seems more common here.
For now my family comes first and the rest is work. I drive almost 200 miles a day so that?s some car life to go. I wanted the best possible diesel and it all boiled down to either BMW, MB or Audi. The MB dealers are really snobby around here so I gave them up when they showed absolutely no interest in selling me a car (I guess me looking like a bum according to the wife has something to do with it). Also me thinks the MB is too much of statement care around here.
The Audi was interesting but even the new A6 exterior is a bit too bland to me and they have a bad service reputation here. So already being very satisfied with the e46 (with 130000 miles on it) and a economic gadgeet freak fooling myself into believing what I want iswhat is good the BMW won easily.

I have only seen the e61 at dealers so I?m unsure if there is any member on this board that has actually gotten delivery of an e61 yet. I attached some pics of the way my car will look as built on the bmw car configurator (the interior has the right colour combo amethyst/anthracite maple but I have ordered comfort seats and the car is LHD)

car history
1963 (?) SAAB 91 (?)
1968 (?) SAAB 94 (?)
1970 Jaguar E-type 2+2
1988 Chrysler Town & Country (the rarest in the bunch actually - only 2 in the country and the greatest eyecatcher so far with extreme 3D fake wood panels). I suspect in the US this would be called a LeBaron Woody.
1999 BMW 320D (first new car)
2004 BMW 530D touring on order

best
objetti
Attached Thumbnails I built my own BMW-car.jpg  
Old 06-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

I know of one person, mhoutman, who has just received his 545 touring.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Contributors

I just did my last adjustments to the option list.
Expecting that window to close any day now.

so this is the complete list (I guess much of this is standard on US spec cars and in other countries):

NJ71 e61 530D manual
Production w28

668 Jet black
LCRH 04 Amethyst Dakota Leather

2RA 16" winter tyres Trapetsoid 134
2CO 18" run flat summer tyres Starspoke 124

216 Servotronic
217 Active steering
226 Sport chassi
235 Detachable towing hook
255 Sport steering wheel
261 Rear seat side air bags
300 Spare tyre
302 Alarm
320 Debadged
386 Roof railings
402 Panoramic sun roof
417 Manual sunshades back rear windows
423 Velour floor mats
428 Warning triangle and first aid kit
435 Wood trim - Anthracit high gloss maple
441 Smoking package
442 Cupholders
456 Comfort seats
459 Electrical seat adjustment with memory
473 Adjustable arm rest
488 Lumbar support
494 Front seat heating
496 Rear seat heating
502 Headlight washing system
508 Park Distance Control
522 BiXenon headlights
524 Adaptive headlights
534 Professional Climte Control
540 Cruise control
563 Extended lighting package
609 Professional Navigation
610 Head-Up Display
663 Radio Professional
644 Bluetooth telephone
677 HiFi-system Logic 7
694 CD changer preparation
785 White direction light indicators
842 "Kaltland" preparation (various isolations and stronger specced heating etc.)
896 Daylight auto sensor for headlights

Compared to the saloon the touring also has autolevelling rear suspension as standard.
2005 Touring also has re-calibrated setup for active steering, particle filter and other changes compared to the 2004 saloon.

Long and poorhouseinducing list but still had to give up on Dynamic Drive, Heated steering wheel, autodimming mirrors and a bunch of other interesting stuff

best
objetti
Old 06-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Welcome to the forum. You will still find valuable information here.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Great error giving up of dynamic drive as there are two things that make the car so unique: active steering+dynamic drive. All other options are just "toys" compared to these two !
Old 06-22-2004, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jmcaiado' date='Jun 22 2004, 02:35 PM
Great error giving up of dynamic drive as there are two things that make the car so unique: active steering+dynamic drive. All other options are just "toys" compared to these two !
I suspect you have a valid point. My judgement is based perhaps too much on numerous readings of car magazine reviews wher the most common saying often goes something like:
"The effect of dynamic drive is mostly felt when driving the car really hard and not that significant for the normal driver. Active steering is for everyone though".
(Dynamic drive alone is almost 3000? here)
I wish there was an attractive package for getting this as with the american sports package.
In the US that means that you get for less than 2700? what would cost me here more than 5500?
(AS, DD, sports suspension, 18" rims, Shadow Line) even excluding the sport seats.
best
objetti
Old 06-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Contributors

sorry
forgot to log in on previous post
best
objetti
Old 06-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributors

It was a tough choice though but what was finally pitted against Dynamic drive was really the HUD and the Logic 7
Navigation+telephone (workrelated), safety and interior comfort (family) was mandatory for me.
The extended light package I could probably do without but it would not have saved that much (and I finally skipped both heated steering wheel and auto dimming mirrors).

I admit that I like the toy factor of the HUD but have gotten interesting arguments here for that and I am heavily into music so...

best
objetti
Old 06-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jun 22 2004, 04:32 PM
"The effect of dynamic drive is mostly felt when driving the car really hard and not that significant for the normal driver. Active steering is for everyone though".
I disagree with that!
I just drove a 3series loaner while my car was at my dealer.
In a highway exit I use very often, I really noticed the difference! I had the feeling that I am getting pushed towards my door. I never noticed anything like that in my car what is equipped with DD. The speed I am driving in this exit is 50 Km/h, so you really can't say I'm driving my car "really hard".
AND: having something in the cupholders... you're not going to spill the drink!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by objekt' date='Jun 22 2004, 01:19 PM
2005 Touring also has re-calibrated setup for active steering, particle filter and other changes compared to the 2004 saloon.
Hi

Will your e61 be 2005 model, w/ production week 28?

Reason for asking is that production week of my car will obviously be the same, and it never came to my mind that it may be 2005 model already.

Kari

Quick Reply: I built my own BMW