Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

How many BMW Technicians does it take to unscrew a light bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I am 7k miles into my 2007 550i and all was going well, until.....the "service needed" light came on and the car called the dealer to arrange a service. Since BMW's don't need to get the service until 15k miles the dealer assumed this came on by fault and scheduled me to come in. After 8+ hours on the first day last week they could not get the light to go out so rescheduled for today. Guess what, another 8+ hours today and these bozos have been on the phone all day with BMWNA and still cant figure the damn thing out.

This may sound trivial but after the countless visits I had with my '04 545 (that started with trivial electrical crap like this) and comments from service personnel like "we should get you an office here" I am beginning to think BMW does not give a s--t about quality. After hearing sales pitches like "we have resolved those issues" I decided to give BMW another shot. If this continues this will clearly be my last BMW.

I would rather have a boring reliable Lexus than an exciting BMW that wins the race to the repair shop every time.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope BMWNA is also paying attention.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

I hear ya, there have been way to many problems with these cars. So did they try doing the service on the car, or did they just say it doesn't need it?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Yes, it is troubling when you call a BMW service manager who swears on his life that the new 2007 BMW 530i does not have Tire Pressure Monitor sensors and that I am just imagining everything.

The service tech nearly hung up the phone on me before I convinced him to try to consult with BMW NA.

I have a service appointment on Thursday (my first physical visit) to deal with the active steering sensor issue. Luckily it is not the same place where I got the bad TPM advice.

Even though the recall notice on the rear struts states that it applies to all cars built between January 2006 and April 28, 2006 (and my car was built in the second week in April), the dealer is telling me that the notice does not apply to my car. At least the notice itself tells the service techs to look for a blue dot on the rear struts so they can check it out.

It is troubling when you feel like you have more knowledge (as a regular guy sitting in my day job) than the people who are supposed to be fixing these cars for their careers.

I guess every plus (the nice car) has to be offset by a negative to keep equilibrium.

There... That is my venting.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I had to explain to my service advisor last week that the 2005 E60 has different tire pressure monitors. He knew nothing about the new sensors.
I mean, do those people get any training at all or is there any compassion for their job? Maybe I am old fashioned and expect too much these days, but the two old advisors I had over the past 5 years knew almost nothing (it was sometimes to the point of embarrasing) and the new one I also have to explain stuff to. Why?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I understand your pain... sorry to hear... Honestly I think its your dealer... might need to look for a new one.

For the record... My 545 is approaching 2 years old and has no fault... Had 1 SW update for transmission slam in Automatic D mode and that was it. Fixed after version 16.2 SW came out.

Other than that the E60 has been great. * knock on wood *

On the other hand... my Lexus IS 350... has gotten a new CD changer already. The first one broke. Just stopped working. and then theres More annoyances than there are on any BMW product I've owned... Things arnt exactlly perfect on the Lexus...

1. Steering wheel off.
2. Brake lights not sensitive... needs about 2 inch pedal travel before rear brake lights come on.
3. Exhaust wildly loose... looser than any other IS's I've checked.
4. Side mirrors very scratched... they were scratched upon delivery. And common problem... as they're plastic not glass.
5. Gap between the front bumper and the headlights on the drivers side is wider

See so Lexus isnt all that. Its luck with the draw on cars... no matter what brand.

But hey to ease the pain. Your thread title reminded me of mine... Check it out...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12605
Old 09-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.