Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

How important is service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

After four BMWs and being on the wait list for the E90 M3 at two different dealerships I have really started having doubts if (in my case) the E90 M3 is a good decision for me. I would really appreciate any insights.

I have been really looking forward to the next generation V8 M3 for some time, but am starting to have second thoughts simply because my dealership (San Antonio BMW Center) sucks so much. I love driving BMWs, reading Roundel, being a BMWCCA member. I currently have a 545 and the M3 cab, and have had to start driving an hour and half to Austin (great service!) in order to get decent care. I am a physician, and the time commitment this entails is starting to get old.

My dealership used to be pretty awesome with satisfaction scores in the high 90's and over the last few years they have fired four service managers as well as most of their experienced technicians have left. Their scores are now somewhere near the 60's,

I don't want to make this post too long or whiney but to give you a brief idea of the service on even one occasion. Though this level of poor quality is the norm for my every visit there. The dealership takes six days to perform a level one service. When I picked up my M3 from the level one service the hood started to come up on the highway because they hadn't latched it! When I got home my engine was covered in oil, not because they left the cap off, but because from what I suspect the valves being over-tightened during the service, leading to my vanos and timing chain being broken, and the oil on the engine. Had to go back for another few weeks. You can never get anyone on the phone, they usually don't return calls, you have to drive over to speak to someone, and even with an appointment a month in advance in order to get a loaner, on arrival you are told 9 times out of 10 that no loaner is available. Since September of this year with most of the time spent sitting in their parking lot waiting for an available bay, each of my cars has spent 26 days at the dealership.

I have tried to take every action I can think of: I called BMWNA, emailed them, written them letters, and given poor customer satisfaction scores. So I am starting to think I would be insane to continue down this road with another BMW until there is an alternative or the dealership improves. I have had to start looking at the offerings from Mercedes and Audi for my options when I probably never would have otherwise.

How does everyone else feel? Does anyone have any other ideas of who to contact that could make a difference? interestingly enough, Mercedes here in San Antonio, also had horrible service for the same reason; no competition locally. Mercedes just allowed another dealership locally who pride themselves on their customer service and now the old dealership is now bending over backwards to retain customers.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by firewired' post='209243' date='Dec 9 2005, 03:34 PM
How does everyone else feel? Does anyone have any other ideas of who to contact that could make a difference? interestingly enough, Mercedes here in San Antonio, also had horrible service for the same reason; no competition locally. Mercedes just allowed another dealership locally who pride themselves on their customer service and now the old dealership is now bending over backwards to retain customers.
Fire, I think it is very important and this car strikes out into new territory on this issue, as I bought it (way) out of town and it is more complex than anything past. When I brought it to my immediate-past dealer, they were cheery until they realized I was bringing in a new car. Suddenly, I had to be reentered in the computer (despite a sales and service record there for 20+ years) and it took 3 days plus a weekend to get in for a fairly serious issue (constantly low/dead battery). I also asked them about hardwiring my Valentine One and was quoted a $300 price! (They've always transferred it for free when I bought new cars there).

Thankfully, we do have another dealer on the other side of town (actually closer to home), and I have bought several cars from them too, so I am prepared to go back there and see if I am treated so differently by them.

Interestingly, I should note that I personally know both dealership owners, and have not raised this issue with them. If things get desperate, I will, but would rather not escalate it. In your case though, I think you ought to escalate it, right to the owner. Be frank, tell him you WANT to buy another car, but are so put off by the service department that you are feeling almost FORCED BY THEM to take your (substantial) money elsewhere. It can't hurt.

Good luck,
Ray Hull
Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

After four BMWs and being on the wait list for the E90 M3 at two different dealerships I have really started having doubts if (in my case) the E90 M3 is a good decision for me. I would really appreciate any insights.

I have been really looking forward to the next generation V8 M3 for some time, but am starting to have second thoughts simply because my dealership (San Antonio BMW Center) sucks so much. I love driving BMWs, reading Roundel, being a BMWCCA member. I currently have a 545 and the M3 cab, and have had to start driving an hour and half to Austin (great service!) in order to get decent care. I am a physician, and the time commitment this entails is starting to get old.

My dealership used to be pretty awesome with satisfaction scores in the high 90's and over the last few years they have fired four service managers as well as most of their experienced technicians have left. Their scores are now somewhere near the 60's,

I don't want to make this post too long or whiney but to give you a brief idea of the service on even one occasion. Though this level of poor quality is the norm for my every visit there. The dealership takes six days to perform a level one service. When I picked up my M3 from the level one service the hood started to come up on the highway because they hadn't latched it! When I got home my engine was covered in oil, not because they left the cap off, but because from what I suspect the valves being over-tightened during the service, leading to my vanos and timing chain being broken, and the oil on the engine. Had to go back for another few weeks. You can never get anyone on the phone, they usually don't return calls, you have to drive over to speak to someone, and even with an appointment a month in advance in order to get a loaner, on arrival you are told 9 times out of 10 that no loaner is available. Since September of this year with most of the time spent sitting in their parking lot waiting for an available bay, each of my cars has spent 26 days at the dealership.

I have tried to take every action I can think of: I called BMWNA, emailed them, written them letters, and given poor customer satisfaction scores. So I am starting to think I would be insane to continue down this road with another BMW until there is an alternative or the dealership improves. I have had to start looking at the offerings from Mercedes and Audi for my options when I probably never would have otherwise.

Well, you could move to Phoenix. We have several excellent dealerships. OK, but, realistically. I'd change makes of auto or find some reason to seriously enjoy the Austin trips or to make them profitable. There a lots of much worse places to spend a day or so. Your personal actions will not affect the SA dealership in your liftetiime. Sorry.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The E60 has to be maintaneced only every 25,000 km (about 16,000 miles).

The M-models should get their service in about half the milage.

I would not miss one iDrive service message!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Members

I have had to start looking at the offerings from Mercedes and Audi for my options when I probably never would have otherwise.
Lexus and Infiniti rule in customer satisfaction. Don't believe me? Try them yourself.