Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Holy Crap - Dealer Actually Fixed the Rattle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Congratulations, glad you got it sorted out.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Contributors

I'll tell you what would be really cool - if we had some sort of repository here of solved squeaks, creaks and rattles. We can log what the description was of the noise, what the failed solutions tried were, and what the final working solution was. I can imagine that being a great resource to look through if/when you get a noise you just can't track down. After a few mins looking through the list, you'd go back to your car with a shopping list of things to start checking out. Considering we all have the same cars, it's bound to be one that somebody already had and got fixed. Or at least you might find out it's something that you can't fix, but knowing what it is and where it is and that it's nothing to worry about can also be satisfying.

edit: before anyone suggests using the search, sure, but it's difficult to find stuff like that
Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport LCI 2008 Space Gray/Dark Blue Dakota
Originally Posted by ivan545' post='834662' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:22 AM
Thats good you have your rattle fixed, i have taken my car to the dealership a few times for the front rattle. All the rattle has been fixed. The only rattling noise that is left is, the rattle that is in the front, the noise sounds like its from the front door panel or from the front left dash. I still can not figure out where its coming from and the dealer can not find out too, anybody with a guess?

I had a rattle from where you describe.....all pointed to dash where it meets the A pillar or even front edge of door trim.
Only did it on rough road surface and really p****d me off because difficult to pinpoint.
Got Dealer to look at it - and they plastered felt tape everywhere near the offending noise - needless to say didn't work...!

Thanks to others on this forum - taking the A Pillar trim off myself was very easy (Thank you all contributors)
Once you have this off there is little to suggest any rattles etc apart from maybe needing a few bits of felt behind wiring conduit.

Drove car with trim off - rattle still there.
About 1/3 the way up A pillar is a small grommet/plug which seals off the void behind this panel (A pillar constructed out of 3 seperate panels joined together.)
You can't see much but the "cable" you see through this little port is actually the sunroof drain hose.

It was this hose which was vibrating on rough roads that caused my rattle - but nearer the top of A pillar (ie where you can't get at it)
Because access here is difficult I used a section of split hose (just slightly larger than drain hose OD) - just enough to push up and around drain hose at offending area)

Problem solved......

Apolgies to those who read this without sun/moonroof !.... or if not the problem on their vehicle.

Don't like fiddling with ?50K's worth of car, but decided I 'm better at it than dealer
Old 04-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Congrats lol.............I have a very similar rattle in my E34, the seatbelt buckle reciever release button vibrates, damned annoying but I fixed it with a tiny peice of paper wedged into it lol, again its the passenger one so I just removed when needed, another similar vibration came from the centre button of the handbrake, not a single rattle from anywhere else in the cabin tho which I think shows how well they used to build these BM's years ago, its 18 years old this year !!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Congrats on getting the rattle resolved and thank you for sharing.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

Damn robotic assembly lines. They have no ears so they don't care if it squeaks.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by WEB60' post='835002' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:42 AM
I had a rattle from where you describe.....all pointed to dash where it meets the A pillar or even front edge of door trim.
Only did it on rough road surface and really p****d me off because difficult to pinpoint.
Got Dealer to look at it - and they plastered felt tape everywhere near the offending noise - needless to say didn't work...!

Thanks to others on this forum - taking the A Pillar trim off myself was very easy (Thank you all contributors)
Once you have this off there is little to suggest any rattles etc apart from maybe needing a few bits of felt behind wiring conduit.

Drove car with trim off - rattle still there.
About 1/3 the way up A pillar is a small grommet/plug which seals off the void behind this panel (A pillar constructed out of 3 seperate panels joined together.)
You can't see much but the "cable" you see through this little port is actually the sunroof drain hose.

It was this hose which was vibrating on rough roads that caused my rattle - but nearer the top of A pillar (ie where you can't get at it)
Because access here is difficult I used a section of split hose (just slightly larger than drain hose OD) - just enough to push up and around drain hose at offending area)

Problem solved......

Apolgies to those who read this without sun/moonroof !.... or if not the problem on their vehicle.

Don't like fiddling with ?50K's worth of car, but decided I 'm better at it than dealer

The A pillar huh thanks, i will look into it. The rattle is on and off, i usually just bump the music up to ignore the rattles.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Members

Web 60
Your rattle sounds very like the one I have but I am pretty sure mine inside in the dash at the A pillar. Was the noise in your car a tapping sound - like metal tapping off the windscreen?