Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

A-holes during oil change today-"driving too aggressively"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some advice when you are treated badly by a dealer:

Remind them that you plan to rate them as low as possible when BMW calls you or sends you an after- service survey. After I mentioned that to my last SA when he refused to help me on a wheel issue, I was treated very different. He became much more understanding of the problem and he offered to take extra steps to fix the problem.

The way to get to a bad SA is to document the bad treatment. Many SAs survive with BMW because they manipulate the surveys by asking their customers to rate them highly rather than earning the high rating.

My dealership is so concerned about the ratings, that they have posterboards all over the dealership stating "remember 5" (meaning that you should be giving them a "5" for service).

Documentation of bad treatment is permanent, and BMW dealers know this.

I totally agree with all said above about not ripping other members. I learn a lot here from those who disagree. I learn nothing from those who criticize others on a personal basis.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Black Sapphire Metalic, Black Leather Premium package, Navigaation, Cold weather package, Satellite Radio, Rear fold-down seats. My First BMW, and the greatest car I've ever driven.

My 2 cents: Its unfortunate that you were treated badly. Even if it was just that you FEEL you were treated badly. At the end of the day, these guys are in the SERVICE INDUSTRY and have to realize that the customer is always right. I have been in the service industry in the past, and I recognized that sometimes difficult customers show up, and they deserve the same respect that I'd give to someone who I really enjoy helping. It is part of these guys' jobs to make you really enjoy your BMW experience so that you will want to buy another one and keep coming back.

I'm a little bit on the young side to, and I had the same experience when I first started car shopping. It sucked, but when I got to a dealership that treated me like a person, I bought a car. I couldn't be happier. Some of the dealers were rude at other places, but not that all is said and done, I got exactly the car I wanted at a price I thought was fair, so who cares. I'm driving a BMW every day, and I love it.

Also, I couldn't agree more about using the ratings to change the tone of a bad interaction. As long as you're not being an A-hole, then they shouldn't be either. And I don't think its manipulative to tell them that up front. If it were me, I'd want to know that the customer was planning on bashing me on the ratings, so I could have a chance to rectify the situation.

All in all...I'm sorry your experience sucked. I'm glad your car is fixed, and I'm glad you're enjoying driving it again. I think its a great car, and it can cheer me up out of just about any bad mood...
Old 05-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I know far more about the car than any service advisor I have dealt with. But every one has taken care of me courteously. They are simply the voice of the foreman and the technicians that work on the car. They facilitate the experience for you, get it washed afterwards and do paperwork, but they influence everything that happens on your car. The bottom line is they are people dong business too. Win them over and they will work wonders for you. I treat them like they are doing me a favor. Not like I have the expensive car so the service and treatment is my god given right.

Guess what, the favors come back. Numerous parts changed, swapped out, rattles fixed, two sets of tires changed and then when I had a nail in one, they made me pay for one tire and replaced two because I was wanted the wear even.

I consider my self fortunate to have found a great dealership and service center, but the relationship is reciprocal. Both parties have to work on it.

I believe that Sleepyca was probably treated in-appropriately, but the WTF attitude could not possibly have helped.

Now the responses to his post would have been completely different if this was his first. Unfortuantely there is history of rants, attacks on other members, retorts and an aire of arrogance.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 20045seriesOC' post='425735' date='May 17 2007, 08:19 PM
I'm with CMANS. Just because you people own a 5series bmw it doesn't give you the right to rip on other forum members. It just proves what most regular people think of BMW owners. People just ease up, don't reply unless you have something positive to add. Sleepy is some what correct, most BMW dealerships have some arrogent represenatives working for them, although you do find some nice people every once in a while.
Dude, this guy has been making shit postings for about a month now.

Come on.

He is not a contributor to this board. IMHO.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='425849' date='May 18 2007, 09:35 AM
I believe that Sleepyca was probably treated in-appropriately, but the WTF attitude could not possibly have helped.
Now the responses to his post would have been completely different if this was his first. Unfortuantely there is history of rants, attacks on other members, retorts and an aire of arrogance.
Agreed. Sleepyca, this is a good board, and very informative. Please either change your posting approach and attitude or spare us.

Lou
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

[quote name='BMWSTL' date='May 18 2007, 10:41 AM' post='425851']
Agreed. Sleepyca, this is a good board, and very informative. Please either change your posting approach and attitude or spare us.

+1

You seem to have an awful lot of time to post as an MD.......
Old 05-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Members

One other thing--

Based on what I've read from you, I suggest you dump your 530 and get a Mercedes.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='425850' date='May 18 2007, 07:36 AM
Dude, this guy has been making shit postings for about a month now.

Come on.

He is not a contributor to this board. IMHO.
Hey "dude" I gave about 45 people a new lease on life of their auto tranny's-no one was telling me I was worthless then. And if ya dont like my posts that is your fault you have been reading them for a month-which is the only way you would have known they are "shit" posts for a month-obviously if you had not been reading them you would not have known what they consisted of.

Anyway-obviously nobody knows I am an MD-they do not know, I never told them and they never had an idea. It is principle because while I was there the last time I saw 2 doctors (I know because I recognized one and heard the other talking about his anesthesia practice)-well they get the red carpet treatment-one guy wiht a 550i and one with an M5. The head of service-the shop foreman I believe maybe-some important guy in the scheme of things came out and personally talked with them making sure the service was ok and explaining just what they had done to the cars on top of their regular service advisor. So obviously a percieved "educated" or whatever you call it-person is getting decent treatment.

So my only point was just because I go in there in some long shorts, sneaks and a t shirt-and just had been running not lookking my sundays best-They immediatly went for the-he is young, and is driving the crap out of his BWM so lets treat him with a whole lot of smugness-type attitude.

I dont care-if you guys think my posts suck then dont read em! And thanks for the tip-I am moving out of state either way so will not be back there-I think where I am going only has one dealer-ohio So hope they are decent!

Thanks anyway-and the marine dude-I totally hear ya, that is what I felt like-blue collar trash in a t shirt and shorts and I know darn well the guy was just a hater. And why I have no clue-it was a 530-not like Im cruising in an M5 bought my daddy. I bought the thing by myself so what is it to him!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

One other thing--

Based on what I've read from you, I suggest you dump your 530 and get a Mercedes.

Yikes, Jed. A little rough on the guy! Nobody deserves an MBZ!!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='425857
Anyway-obviously nobody knows I am an MD-they do not know, I never told them and they never had an idea. It is principle because while I was there the last time I saw 2 doctors (I know because I recognized one and heard the other talking about his anesthesia practice)-well they get the red carpet treatment-one guy wiht a 550i and one with an M5. The head of service-the shop foreman I believe maybe-some important guy in the scheme of things came out and personally talked with them making sure the service was ok and explaining just what they had done to the cars on top of their regular service advisor. So obviously a percieved "educated" or whatever you call it-person is getting decent treatment.
Like I give a fuck?
Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='425857' date='May 18 2007, 07:48 AM
So my only point was just because I go in there in some long shorts, sneaks and a t shirt-and just had been running not lookking my sundays best-They immediatly went for the-he is young, and is driving the crap out of his BWM so lets treat him with a whole lot of smugness-type attitude.

I dont care-if you guys think my posts suck then dont read em! And thanks for the tip-I am moving out of state either way so will not be back there-I think where I am going only has one dealer-ohio So hope they are decent!

Thanks anyway-and the marine dude-I totally hear ya, that is what I felt like-blue collar trash in a t shirt and shorts and I know darn well the guy was just a hater. And why I have no clue-it was a 530-not like Im cruising in an M5 bought my daddy. I bought the thing by myself so what is it to him!
WHAAAAAAHH. I drive a 530 and they treat me bad....WHAAAAAAAHH.

(PS: Try not acting like a tool when you go in, and you'll get treated better.)

Quick Reply: A-holes during oil change today-"driving too aggressively"