Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.
View Poll Results: With gray leather interior, which wood trim looks better?
Poplar
48.10%
Anthracite
51.90%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Gray Leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 04:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

I hate to step on the toes of my colleagues here, but there are two competing factors at work here.

One is personal taste, and as we know, this is quite variable. Some will wear patterned black dress socks with white gym shorts and tennis shoes. They may like this "look" but that doesn't mean it is generally appealing or flattering. Even Joan Rivers would likely agree that brown does not "go" with the gray and charcoal colors found with the gray interior option.

The other factor is that of complimentary color pairs and chrominance. The family of brown coloration is not a natural color pair with Gray and its spectrum of shading.

As is evident, I think Anthracite is the hands-down choice here. The poplar finish is a warm and richly grained brown finish that pairs with the beige, auburn and truffle interiors quite well. The grey and black interiors pair best with anthracite, titantium, and brushed aluminum trim. In my opinion, the titanium trim is too "plasticy" and flat in its appearance while the anthracite has some wood graining. Anthracite may be too black for pairing with the black interior though. I like the new ///M aluminum finish which should look awesome with black interior.
In general, the anthracite/titanium/aluminum finished exhude a "sporty" nature, although, I find the anthracite quite elegant (kind of like glossed piano finish); while the poplar finish tends toward more a rich refined finish.

In part just my opinion. Obviously get what appeals to you most.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Members

In my dads car it is gray leather with the poplar wood.Its very nice !!!Much better then the other.We ordered first antaracite but then changed to poplar.I'm very happy with the poplar wood !
Old 01-09-2005, 05:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

If I had to choose with this interior, personally would go for poplar.
Either way, both look good anyway.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

I'm with the anthracite crowd. The poplar just stands out too much for my tatse. Its all about personal choice. If you can't decide, you probably will be happy with either choice.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:20 AM
Members

Anthrcaite is the way to go.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Just to add one thing...

The poplar wood has hints of black in the grain patterns (burl) which is why it still "works" with the gray interior and the black dashboard.

It's really all about personal taste. I think they both look good -- I found the poplar to look more traditiional or classic and the anthracite to look more sporty.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Go with poplar. Ive got Gray om Gray with poplar, looks nice
Old 01-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I chose gray leather because I loved the anthracite so much -- the wood drove the leather choice. It has a very uncommon look, with lots of grain running across the long strips of wood. I understand what people say about the warmth of wood, but I find anthracite unusual, and people comment on how other cars don't have it. Call it too cold if you like, but I think the clean dash (possible because of iDrive), the flowing lines of the design in general, plus the anthracite bands of wood (including the woodgrain pull handles on the doors) just looks great.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Jan 9 2005, 08:14 AM
I hate to step on the toes of my colleagues here, but there are two competing factors at work here.

One is personal taste, and as we know, this is quite variable. Some will wear patterned black dress socks with white gym shorts and tennis shoes. They may like this "look" but that doesn't mean it is generally appealing or flattering. Even Joan Rivers would likely agree that brown does not "go" with the gray and charcoal colors found with the gray interior option.

The other factor is that of complimentary color pairs and chrominance. The family of brown coloration is not a natural color pair with Gray and its spectrum of shading.

As is evident, I think Anthracite is the hands-down choice here. The poplar finish is a warm and richly grained brown finish that pairs with the beige, auburn and truffle interiors quite well. The grey and black interiors pair best with anthracite, titantium, and brushed aluminum trim. In my opinion, the titanium trim is too "plasticy" and flat in its appearance while the anthracite has some wood graining. Anthracite may be too black for pairing with the black interior though. I like the new ///M aluminum finish which should look awesome with black interior.
In general, the anthracite/titanium/aluminum finished exhude a "sporty" nature, although, I find the anthracite quite elegant (kind of like glossed piano finish); while the poplar finish tends toward more a rich refined finish.

In part just my opinion. Obviously get what appeals to you most.
[snapback]77390[/snapback]
You may be a good home decorator but your spelling makes me laugh...exhude, indellible, abacuss...I could go on.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I would never get gray seats after seeing what happened to my brothers M3.

The seats get so dirty and you can't clean them. Dirt gets into the leather grain, and is impossible to get out.

Quick Reply: Gray Leather