Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

General customer service feeling you get with your dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

I have a good story about lack of customer care her in Ireland. A Pal of mine went into a Lexus dealership and was treated really well by the salesman there who could not do enough for him. Complete respect answered all questions and even gave him a GS300 for a week-end. He loved the service and liked the car, but the E60 he fell in love with.

He goes to the BMW dealer and is left waiting for 30 minutes before anyone attends to him. The sales guy is arrogant and Pushy and only after 3 attempts does he get a test drive, and even then not with the engine he wanted. This guy cant answer questions on Ipod connectivity, Phone connectivity or basic options. My pal ends up getting this information elsewhere. But he still buy's his E60 from him.

Within 3 weeks he has a few niggles with the car, like his cigar lighter has packed in and his Tyre sensor warning is going off even though his tyres are fine, little bits of trim are falling off. He calls into the BMW garage in Dublin and they say they are busy and can book it for service in 2 weeks time. He is really pissed as he has spent $120,000 on this car. The service manager says either wait the two weeks or go to another BMW agent in the city. He decides to wait.

The next day the Lexus sales guy calls and asks him if he has made a decison yet? My pal tells him he went with the BMW. Lexus guy says never mind and if your in the market again give him a call. My pal tells him about the niggles with his new car and about how annoyed he is about service. Lexus guy says that service like this gives all salesmen a bad name. He also said that if he is passing pop in and he will get one of his service guy's to have a look. My pal took him up on the offer and went in. The lexus people fixed his cigar lighter, recaibrated his tyre monitor and re-affixed the plastic trim. Not only that they would not accept any payment. Embarassed my friend went home, now happy with his E60.

The next month he went into Lexus guy and bought an IS250 for his wife and an IS200 for his son. When he can get out of his E60 his next car will also be a Lexus.

Food for thought????

Grinche
Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='210115' date='Dec 11 2005, 08:12 PM
I have a good story about lack of customer care her in Ireland. A Pal of mine went into a Lexus dealership and was treated really well by the salesman there who could not do enough for him. Complete respect answered all questions and even gave him a GS300 for a week-end. He loved the service and liked the car, but the E60 he fell in love with.

He goes to the BMW dealer and is left waiting for 30 minutes before anyone attends to him. The sales guy is arrogant and Pushy and only after 3 attempts does he get a test drive, and even then not with the engine he wanted. This guy cant answer questions on Ipod connectivity, Phone connectivity or basic options. My pal ends up getting this information elsewhere. But he still buy's his E60 from him.

Within 3 weeks he has a few niggles with the car, like his cigar lighter has packed in and his Tyre sensor warning is going off even though his tyres are fine, little bits of trim are falling off. He calls into the BMW garage in Dublin and they say they are busy and can book it for service in 2 weeks time. He is really pissed as he has spent $120,000 on this car. The service manager says either wait the two weeks or go to another BMW agent in the city. He decides to wait.

The next day the Lexus sales guy calls and asks him if he has made a decison yet? My pal tells him he went with the BMW. Lexus guy says never mind and if your in the market again give him a call. My pal tells him about the niggles with his new car and about how annoyed he is about service. Lexus guy says that service like this gives all salesmen a bad name. He also said that if he is passing pop in and he will get one of his service guy's to have a look. My pal took him up on the offer and went in. The lexus people fixed his cigar lighter, recaibrated his tyre monitor and re-affixed the plastic trim. Not only that they would not accept any payment. Embarassed my friend went home, now happy with his E60.

The next month he went into Lexus guy and bought an IS250 for his wife and an IS200 for his son. When he can get out of his E60 his next car will also be a Lexus.

Food for thought????

Grinche
Great story. I enjoyed reading it. And, food for thought? Definitely!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

The dealer that I go to is called MAG and they are great! There is a second dealer here in Columbus, but they are awful. Their service advisor yelled at me on the phone for giving an honest report to BMW NA about how it went with them. The other dealer also told me they wouldn't give me a loaner since I bought the car from out of town!

But MAG (Midwestern Auto Group) has been excellent with the BMW portion of the company.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 PM
JC3
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i Titanium Silver GONE - 2005 530i Titanium Grey

I find the BMW dealerships where I live don't know that much about the E60. I suppose its because 90% of their sales are 3 series.

In terms of service, when I bought my car, everything was sorted and I was waiting for the car to be delivered. Then I get a phone call from the dealer telling me that they'd made a mistake on the pricing for the tinted windows and they wanted me to pay an extra $1,100 for the tinting... or they'd not do it :thumbsdown: I spat the dummy and insisted they do it as per our agreed contract... which they ultimately did. However, it really left a bad taste in my mouth. I just spent $110,000 on a motor vehicle and I'm being harassed for 1% of the cost and for a mistake that they made, not me! That's the sort of action I expect from a Hyundai dealer not a luxury car dealership.

Anyway, as I've posted before on this board, I wanted an auxiliary port installed and I got sent on a merry chase (and pissing off cobradav in the process), being told that I couldn't have both the auxilary port and my 6 stacker installed. I ended up going to the only other BMW dealer in my city and they did it for me, but still haven't got it working yet. A new radio is going in this week so let us see if I get it before Christmas!

Love, love, love the car but hate the dealership. Though I have to admit the second dealership I've gone to (Motorline BMW) have been much easier to deal with than the arrogant stiffs at the other dealership, even though the auxiliary port install hasn't been perfect.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='210115' date='Dec 11 2005, 05:12 PM

Food for thought????

Grinche
I wonder would that "fix-it" job by the Lexus tech void the BMW warranty? Kidding, of course.

Sigh, when will BMW learn ....
Old 12-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

I've been going to the same dealership (BMW Mtn. View formerly Allison BMW) for 8 years now. I've gotten to know the fleet manager, a couple of sales advisors and some of the other admin folks. All pretty nice people. A couple of the SAs appear to behave like jerks so I stay away from them. The person I'm dealing with is a good guy. When it came time to purchase my E60 I reminded them of my long-standing loyalty to their dealership.

It's amazing how being courteous and polite, even when addressing an issue, can make positive things happen.

I bought my E60 at what I felt was a very fair price. A quote I once heard was, "You can shave a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once." The dealer has to make money *and* I need to get a good deal. Treat me fair, and I'll keep coming back. Treat me badly and I'll go elsewhere.

Did I get a free keychain? Nope. But I got a good deal on my E60, and saved a lot more than just a $20 keychain.

Cheers.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='210150' date='Dec 11 2005, 11:24 PM
I've been going to the same dealership (BMW Mtn. View formerly Allison BMW) for 8 years now. I've gotten to know the fleet manager, a couple of sales advisors and some of the other admin folks. All pretty nice people. A couple of the SAs appear to behave like jerks so I stay away from them. The person I'm dealing with is a good guy. When it came time to purchase my E60 I reminded them of my long-standing loyalty to their dealership.

It's amazing how being courteous and polite, even when addressing an issue, can make positive things happen.

I bought my E60 at what I felt was a very fair price. A quote I once heard was, "You can shave a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once." The dealer has to make money *and* I need to get a good deal. Treat me fair, and I'll keep coming back. Treat me badly and I'll go elsewhere.

Did I get a free keychain? Nope. But I got a good deal on my E60, and saved a lot more than just a $20 keychain.

Cheers.
"It's amazing how being courteous and polite, even when addressing an issue, can make positive things happen."
Old 12-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Like everything else in life, there is a difference:

I got my 1st BMW at the dealership closest to me. The service SUCKED!

That is why I got Every Other BMW from a dealership an hour away. There service is great! (well worth the extra drive).
Old 12-12-2005, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='210194' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:34 AM
Like everything else in life, there is a difference:

I got my 1st BMW at the dealership closest to me. The service SUCKED!

That is why I got Every Other BMW from a dealership an hour away. There service is great! (well worth the extra drive).
If they are that great,why don't you mention there name???????
cheers
vern
Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I have on many occasions. BMW of Peabody (Peabody, MA).
The service department is Great!

Quick Reply: General customer service feeling you get with your dealer?