Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Frustrated - Post accident repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

About a month ago I got in an accident (not my fault), and my front end sustained some hood, bumper and headlight damage.
Today I went to the shop (which the dealer recommended) - they've been having headlight issues. The insurance adjuster wouldn't cough it up for an OEM assembly, so they went aftermarket. After a few different options, they got the right one to fit and put it all together. The problem is the damn BULB. Its an OEM BMW xenon headlight bulb, but apparently new ones dont produce that blue color when new. They showed me a service bulletin from BMW that states it takes 100 hours of usage time to get that light to look like the other. Right now the shit looks terrible. One is normal and blue, the other eventually just looks YELLOW! Needless to say, I'm horrified! It looks so BUDGET!

I need some possible solutions please. I know a lot of people put in aftermarket headlight bulbs. I need some recommendations, and what will do the trick so i can replace both and it will still look good. This YELLOW nonsense has GOTTA go!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by za3879' post='827472' date='Mar 26 2009, 04:00 PM
About a month ago I got in an accident (not my fault), and my front end sustained some hood, bumper and headlight damage.
Today I went to the shop (which the dealer recommended) - they've been having headlight issues. The insurance adjuster wouldn't cough it up for an OEM assembly, so they went aftermarket. After a few different options, they got the right one to fit and put it all together. The problem is the damn BULB. Its an OEM BMW xenon headlight bulb, but apparently new ones dont produce that blue color when new. They showed me a service bulletin from BMW that states it takes 100 hours of usage time to get that light to look like the other. Right now the shit looks terrible. One is normal and blue, the other eventually just looks YELLOW! Needless to say, I'm horrified! It looks so BUDGET!

I need some possible solutions please. I know a lot of people put in aftermarket headlight bulbs. I need some recommendations, and what will do the trick so i can replace both and it will still look good. This YELLOW nonsense has GOTTA go!

I got mine from Ebay if that helps. It was roughly $90 for a pair.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='827479' date='Mar 26 2009, 04:07 PM
I got mine from Ebay if that helps. It was roughly $90 for a pair.

what brand, type, etc? Thanks for the reply...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Look for a seller with the name premier tek sumting like that on ebay he got good prices , quality , and located in the usa very fast shipping
Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Contributors

You need to check coverage on your policy aswell i have an option on mine that only replace damaged parts with oem bmw parts its a few bucks more but well worth and peace of mind btw i now have nationwide insurance
Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by za3879' post='827472' date='Mar 26 2009, 03:00 PM

pm brabusw209amg. he will point you in the right direction for everything
Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Contributors

IMHO a headlight is a safety system that cannot be matched side by side by an aftermarket piece. I think you should have held your ground and insisted on an original BMW replacement. It's not to late to fight it! Besides, different headlight colors may cause you problems with the law or in a motor vehicle inspection!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Make them use an OEM head light and pay the difference if you have to.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by za3879' post='827522' date='Mar 26 2009, 04:11 PM
what brand, type, etc? Thanks for the reply...

Remember that yellow plus green = blue.

Get some green cellophane paper and glue on headlight. Now, that is budget.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='827673' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:06 PM
IMHO a headlight is a safety system that cannot be matched side by side by an aftermarket piece. I think you should have held your ground and insisted on an original BMW replacement. It's not to late to fight it! Besides, different headlight colors may cause you problems with the law or in a motor vehicle inspection!
+1 There is no way I would have gone down without a huge fight here. Who is your insurance carrier? I want to make sure I never do business with them if that is the coverage they provide.

Quick Reply: Frustrated - Post accident repairs