Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Finally pulled the trigger!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

well, for me comfort access sounds like a good option -
I may try out my RF's this winter in Boston and see how they do - I can also use my SUV if it's tough weather -

thanks for all your input Das -
Old 11-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Congrats Das and nice colour (exterior, interior and trim) wait I have the same thing no wonder
Old 11-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

YA thats a nice car! Wow xi in manual... thats rare huh?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

Das-so, any follow up on your new machine?

How is the HUD and comfort access? worth the 2K+ investment?

How is the 6 speed?

Is the nav sluggish or have software enhancements improved the system?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
Old 11-10-2005, 10:56 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by wulff1' post='196150' date='Nov 10 2005, 07:26 AM
Das-so, any follow up on your new machine?

How is the HUD and comfort access? worth the 2K+ investment?

How is the 6 speed?

Is the nav sluggish or have software enhancements improved the system?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
HUD is *awesome*. Unfortunately, since I picked it up, I haven't had much chance to do anything but drive it 10 miles back and forth from my office.

But, even so, I already find the HUD useful even just for speed. I have let it do navigation directions to see how it works, and the arrows, street names, and distances that show up on the HUD are really great. And this morning, I was greeted with a little snowflake icon on the HUD, with a warning that the air temperature was below 37 degrees! It was just kind of neat to see it on the HUD.

One thing that surprised me about the HUD is that it is definitely *below* the field of vision where you're normally looking at the road. I had expected it to kind of be floating up in that area, when in reality you're kind of looking more down toward the area in front of the car to see the HUD. It's not unnatural by any means, just not what my preconceived notion of a HUD was (being familiar with aircraft HUDs which are directly in the field of view). It is very easy to use, and definitely a good addition. If you use NAV a lot, you'll love it.

Comfort access is awesome. I'm already used to not reaching in my pocket. If I was forced to search for drawbacks, it would be:

- With the remote, you'd usually just close your door as you're walking away from the car, and as you're walking away, press the button to lock it. With CA, you do need to touch the door to lock it. Sure, you can use the remote, but the whole idea is that your remote is probably still in your pocket, right?

- Pathway lights aren't really useful since they don't come on until you're already touching the door handle (as opposed to right away if you're using the remote to unlock - again, you could use the remote, but to me, that defeats CA).

Now these are very, very small nits, but just the two most obvious things I noticed in the first few days with the car.

The six speed is great. Shifting is very easy, but a little more rigid than on my 140K+ mile E39 528i. Not rigid in a bad way, just different...just have had to get used to it. Overall the six speed is very nice and I find myself being thankful for getting a pure manual again. Maybe one day I'll do the SMG, but as it wasn't available (yet, anyway) on the xi, going with the manual was an easy choice for me.

I don't really have anything to compare to, but yes, the iDrive system in general seems to be sluggish. There are sometimes delays going from screen to screen that makes you think you missed some input, only to have whatever the action is happen twice after you impatiently press the controller again. I've had several mistakes and unintentional clicks or other input happen because of that. It didn't take me long to get used to it, but yeah, I wouldn't describe it as spry. Not a big deal to me, though.

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, and it has really exceeded my expectations. I just can't wait to spend some more time actually driving it.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

das--

Do you have options on the HUD to display different items? In other words, if you just want speed etc. can you do that or is it always connected to the Nav? Any elaboration on the HUD would be great---I still have time to add it to my order and I've been giving it some thought. Is it worth $1k?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by hoopsrob' post='196462' date='Nov 10 2005, 07:57 PM
das--

Do you have options on the HUD to display different items? In other words, if you just want speed etc. can you do that or is it always connected to the Nav? Any elaboration on the HUD would be great---I still have time to add it to my order and I've been giving it some thought. Is it worth $1k?
Yes, you can choose whether the HUD has:

- Speed
- Cruise control/Active Cruise Control settings
- Navigation instructions
- Check Control messages

in any combination. Some people might think it's a novelty; I think it's really great, and a great way to keep your eyes on the road and off the dash. The main thing I want to see is my speed, and for that, for me personally, it's already worth it.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Members

Das-some of my friends with new e60s (built before Sept) still have high battery drain issues-

any problems with your new ride?

also, have you decided on your winter tires or will you keep your OEMs for the frigid Wisconsin winter ahead......
Old 11-13-2005, 07:42 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by wulff1' post='197222' date='Nov 12 2005, 10:59 AM
Das-some of my friends with new e60s (built before Sept) still have high battery drain issues-

any problems with your new ride?

also, have you decided on your winter tires or will you keep your OEMs for the frigid Wisconsin winter ahead......
I haven't actually had any problems at all yet...including the high battery drain issue. The car has actually been perfect.

I'm also going to just see how the Dunlops are in the first snow. (I know, I know, they'll be terrible. But I just have to see for myself.) If they're bad, I'm going to put dedicated snows on my Style 123s and put those back on.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

What Dunlops do you have das?

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger!