Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Fair price? Model worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

(1st post after I stumbled across this site! It is a good one...but it makes me wish I could get anything I wanted!)

Well I am contemplating buying my first BMW and unlike many people, money is a concern! The one I have been looking at is a 2004 530i that is under 14k miles, CPO. Here are the specs:

http://www.bmwusa.com/cpo/detail.htm...mp;pagerecs=25

Now, when I look on the dealer site, they are currently showing it for $38999 which seems awfully high. Yes, it is low mileage and a CPO but if I am going to pay that much, I would rather keep waiting until I could get either a newer model or a 545i. I certainly would like a much more powerful engine than this has.

Plus I am a bit hesitant getting the first model year (2004) even though the CarFax report is fine.

So, what do you feel is a fair price for this car? And honestly, is the '04 530i even worth buying or is it better just to wait until spring and look for a newer model?

Thanks for your feedback...and again, great forum!

Jeff
Old 10-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Welcome to the forum !

I can?t comment about the price (I live in Finland), but...
Whatever the price is, I think you shouldn't get 530 (or anything at all) if you has doubts about being satisfied with it.
So I suggest you keep seeking for another model
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by Barrelfish' post='482358' date='Oct 16 2007, 03:52 PM
Hi all,

(1st post after I stumbled across this site! It is a good one...but it makes me wish I could get anything I wanted!)

Well I am contemplating buying my first BMW and unlike many people, money is a concern! The one I have been looking at is a 2004 530i that is under 14k miles, CPO. Here are the specs:

http://www.bmwusa.com/cpo/detail.htm...mp;pagerecs=25

Now, when I look on the dealer site, they are currently showing it for $38999 which seems awfully high. Yes, it is low mileage and a CPO but if I am going to pay that much, I would rather keep waiting until I could get either a newer model or a 545i. I certainly would like a much more powerful engine than this has.

Plus I am a bit hesitant getting the first model year (2004) even though the CarFax report is fine.

So, what do you feel is a fair price for this car? And honestly, is the '04 530i even worth buying or is it better just to wait until spring and look for a newer model?

Thanks for your feedback...and again, great forum!

Jeff
Jeff welcome!......$39k for an 04 530 is a little high, even at that milage...before I decided to go new I was looking at This Car @ the same price as your 04.........(I can't belive that car is still there ) anywho, I'd continue looking....hey, maybe you should buy this one & drive it up to UT.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

The car will be fine and the lower the mileage the better, the used E60 market is getting flooded with lease turn backs right now so I think you are in a better bargaining position than you might think, an asking price is only that........ make him an offer that you can live with. They do not want to sit on that car..... Go make a deal !!

Cheers
Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

wrong car THIS is the car, & that was three months ago, at your $38,999 number.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Members

Thanks for the welcome!

Some good points and I will probably make an offer but it will certainly be for less than what they are asking as I would rather wait for a better option than pay anywhere near that price. The 2007 that was mentioned is exactly what I am talking about...newer model with a bigger engine for a similar price. Seems to make more sense, even if it meant a trip to buy it and driving it back!

As it seems that there are plenty of people happy with the 2004 model, I guess I shouldn't worry about that although it does seem somewhat odd that a 13k mile CBO is still on the market. Maybe people really are looking for at least an 05 model so they have the bigger engine. If that is the case, I suppose there is even more bargining room!

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

I bout an '04 two months ago and have been very happy with it. That price seems way high however.

IMO I'd be less concerned about the low mileage...but I would defitnielty plan on buying the extended warranty.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Maybe not interesting for you any more but I would advise any non-BMW driver who considers buying a BMW to borrow/rent/testdrive on for a longer period of time (week or so) as it has to fit you and your way of driving.

Why this point of view? well, when I drive this car daily in the traffic jam, I love the automatic but find it stupid that it doesn't have a smart solution for start-stop traffic (like in 'D' and not have to keep the brake pushed). And I don't like the diesel 'hacking' sound at stationary revs (525d). I also don't like all those other people in front of me but that's another issue.

When I drive without the other traffic, I love the power, the road-handling as I throw it into a turn and accellerate out with the anti-skid control flashing (esp. in rainy conditions). I also love the knowledge that the car outbrakes my (public road) assessment of the latest moment to brake hard. And at a glitch more revs you don't hear it's a diesel any more, you just feel powerrrrrr.

In driving with passengers I don't like the shift back into first gear: jerky and wrongly timed for smooth driving. Don't like the accelleration in first (high revs) and then smooth in two (solve it with manual mode). Even after a reset it doesn't really go the way it could. Don't like this memory automatic gearbox that 'learns' from my driving. My driving is too erratic to take trends from: would prefer to have a switch: smooth / alert / rough.

Don't like the lack of storage space (the few that are there, loose their contents under acceleration), don't like the half-hearted tire-pressure-control system that doesn't tell you anything about loosing pressure over time. Even while everything else is electronically checked at various times. Hate to not have decent cupholders exvept in the center back arm rest (lucky I have long arms...)

Like the huge reservoir for windscreen wiper fluid, like the pop-open trunk lid, like the mute button on the steering wheel (programmable but the other functions I find pointless), like the cruise control very much but not the stick under the indicator stick (confusing sometimes), like the automatic lights, automatic wipers (but why do they turn themselves off after ignition off) and so on.

so, the car is for driving. autobahn and national road driving: speed, road handling and an occasional step over the line of safety. This car is heavy and needs power to be agile. Just like all 5 series before it: the basic two models aren't going to give you what you can get out of it. Go for the center powered models or to the top if you have the money to maintain them.

You also need to get used to the i-drive thing and then judge it. Personally I find the car's computer too slow. turn your lights off and it takes half a second to do that. everything is done via that computer and I find that not a good idea. Apparently they didn't either because the i-drive stuff can hang up while you can still use power and steering. You don't really need anything more, the rest is just to keep you busy in the traffic jam.....

let us know what you bought and if it's a BMW, share your thoughts!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Members

Ceenit: I'm glad your '04 worked out! Enjoy!

BMDiesel: Great post and very good advice for potential buyers of ANY high quality car. Yes, people can buy and return but when you are spending good money, take your time and get what is right for YOU. Anzafin said something similar at the beginning of this thread.

As for me, I decided against the '04 I was looking at. While I realize that many people are perfectly happy with that MY, I came to the conclusion that if I get a 530i, I don't want to go earlier than MY06. This will give me a more powerful engine, some of the early bugs will have been worked out and if I go CPO, it will be under warranty for a longer period of time.

I am also now considering a 535i or 550i instead but in doing so, I am kind of back to square one in my research. In a way, this is a bummer since at this point, I don't anticipate buying anything until the spring. On the other hand, it gives me more of a chance to find what I really want and I can do a LOT more test driving. Of course, I can also save up a little more money as well, especially since I can avoid getting winter tires for at least this year!

Thanks again to everyone for their responses. Hopefully this thread will help others that stumble across it. If there is one commonality mentioned by a lot of people, it is, take your time and get what YOU feel is right.

When I do (and I am 90% sure it will be an E60!!!) I will certainly let people know and of course, I will post some pictures. Who knows, maybe I will run across the deal that can't be passed up and things will happen far sooner than I expect. Either way, it is exciting to think about the possibilities!

Thanks everyone!

Jeff
Old 11-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 Monaco Blue 530xi, Navigation, HUD, Premium Pack, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, Satellite, Logic7, Rear Side Airbags, PDC

Originally Posted by Barrelfish' post='487716' date='Oct 30 2007, 12:47 AM
As for me, I decided against the '04 I was looking at. While I realize that many people are perfectly happy with that MY, I came to the conclusion that if I get a 530i, I don't want to go earlier than MY06. This will give me a more powerful engine, some of the early bugs will have been worked out and if I go CPO, it will be under warranty for a longer period of time.
Interesting thread, now that I've spent 12% more than my mental 'upper limit' for a CPO e60 on a 2006 530xi with all my 'requirements' and then some! That is, it had to be an xi for the East Coast winters, with both Navigation and Cold Weather packages, in addition to relatively low miles, in either Monaco Blue or Mystic Blue with beige leather.

Was able to get all that more: HUD, comfort seats, ventilated seats, rear side airbags, and satellite radio, and I've been thoroughly enjoying myself the past three days.

It seems like the depreciation rate of e60's are particularly low; this is a great argument for buying new but where money is an object, saving 15-25% over new sure does feel good. At any rate buying CPO is very good peace of mind, esp. with the service record in hand.

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know how it works out!

Scooterdog, new to this board...