Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

is extended warranty offered by bmw dealers from bmw?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2005 525i's warranty expires march 31, 2009. when i asked my dealer for a quote on extended warranty, he gave me the pricing, plus the details on this pdf.

is this normal (that the dealership is the one offering the warranty themselves), or is there one specifically from bmw? thanks

1.HAOR_email.pdf
Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

That is a third party offering. Almost all dealers offer some third party warranty. They are usually cheaper but if you are the original owner, they should also offer BMW Original Owner Extended warranty. If you are not the original owner, the third party is your only option...
Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

thanks. any difference/preference?
i am the original owner, so i am interested if there are any advantages that you know of.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daydok' post='802596' date='Feb 26 2009, 05:07 PM
thanks. any difference/preference?
i am the original owner, so i am interested if there are any advantages that you know of.
I have the dealer warranty on my car, It covers everything from thing malfunction to electrical issues and a co-pay of $50 which not to bad. The coverage covers up to 100k miles, the only down side is it doesnt cover stuff like the original warranty covers Wipers,Rotors,interior defects etc... Hope this may help in your desicion making on your extended warranty.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Contributors

You will have to read the fine print on both. The BMW offering usually excludes some electronics such as iDrive. Some third party offerings cover these. When I researched this for my old 545, the third party warranty my dealer offered had several levels to choose from covering more or less, which drove the price. I'm sure others will chime in but there are third party warranties you can get outside of the dealer as well, but I am not familiar with those. Eventually I chose a 2008 550 over the extended warranty on my 2004 545!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Contributors

thanks. after browsing here weeks ago, it seems the mercury platinum plan (attached) was recommended by some.
i have a quote for that, and my dealership matched it. i read both fine prints, and it seems the mercury plan has a higher rental car fee allowance per day at $50.
the dealer plan had it at $30. other than that, they're both good, i guess.

i was just curious if i get the bmw one, if it's any better than 3rd party plans. if it does NOT cover the i-drive, then that sucks.

i could not find anything specific on it on the bmw na site, except this:

While all BMWs come with a generous 4-year/50,000 mile, whichever comes first, New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the BMW Original Owner Protection Program offers even more protection by giving you additional mechanical breakdown coverage? available to the first registered retail or lease driver. Coverage begins once the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty has expired.

Put your mind at ease knowing:
Your Extended Service Contract is backed by BMW and delivers an additional 2-year/50,000-mile protection beginning at the expiration of the BMW New Limited Warranty.
Covered repairs are performed at an authorized North American BMW center.
Only Original BMW Parts are used for covered repairs.
You have 24-hour BMW Roadside Assistance, in the unlikely event of a breakdown.

has anyone here chosen the bmw protection plan over a 3rd party one? seems way short than what 3rd party plans offer.

mercury.pdf
Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by daydok' post='802578' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:51 PM
my 2005 525i's warranty expires march 31, 2009. when i asked my dealer for a quote on extended warranty, he gave me the pricing, plus the details on this pdf.

is this normal (that the dealership is the one offering the warranty themselves), or is there one specifically from bmw? thanks

Attachment 72806
What if the third party company goes out of business... many people use them but it always bothers me when dealers offer third party warranties but not the BMW one. The dealer makes more money on the third party warranty. Their motivation is profit pure and simple. I will only accept factory warranties.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='802636' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:58 PM
What if the third party company goes out of business... many people use them but it always bothers me when dealers offer third party warranties but not the BMW one. The dealer makes more money on the third party warranty. Their motivation is profit pure and simple. I will only accept factory warranties.
Having been down this path, be aware that even the BMW warranty is really run/managed by a third party. Now if they failed, I'd assume BMW would have to step up and honor the warranty as they present it as their own...
Old 02-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

I had posted this in the Dealer Purchasing and Service section. It has the BMW 2OP brochure. Read the exclusions section.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=69120
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Members

I bought the Maintenance for 6yr / 100k mi, when I bought my CPO and that does cover the little extras, Wipers, Brakes etc..., everything but the Tires. And if anything goes wrong, breaks, i.e. the sunroof breaks it costs $50. Even if two or even 5 parts break it is $50 per visit

Is the "maintenance plan" an option for you? or can you only get the "Warranty"

FYI (this morning)
While talking with my SA today at the shop I overheard someone extending their Warranty and the customer asked the SA what do you do to check out the car. The SA said: We look at the fluid levels (yes he said that first), tires (huh?), Interior (I was puzzled at this point), then he reeled it in saying that they would look at the wear and tear of the engine, look underneath the car, look at the brakes, run some diags and see what maintenance is coming up.

The guy asked if they would fix any thing and he said No this was just an overview of the car for the extended warranty. The guy then said "Why is it so expensive to get it done then" At that point I had to focus w/ my SA and I couldn't "listen in" any longer

Quick Reply: is extended warranty offered by bmw dealers from bmw?