Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

European Delivery Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Looking at the BMWUSA website today, I see that European delivery on a 545i is about $51.5K for the base model. I was about ready to order an '06 530i which the dealer will sell at $1,500 over invoice, or about $48.5K for the base model with premium package and AT.

Can anyone with knowledge of the ED comment-- is there anyway to avoid paying state sales taxes (CA in my case) on the purchase if you do ED? I assume not, but thought I'd check. Also, are there any costs of bringing the car back to the US that aren't covered in the $51K?

The ED option looks like a real bargin, considering I've got plenty of FF miles to get me there.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 19 2005, 10:10 AM
Looking at the BMWUSA website today, I see that European delivery on a 545i is about $51.5K for the base model.? ? I was about ready to order an '06 530i which the dealer will sell at $1,500 over invoice, or about $48.5K for the base model with premium package and AT.?

Can anyone with knowledge of the ED comment--? is there anyway to avoid paying state sales taxes (CA in my case) on the purchase if you do ED?? I assume not, but thought I'd check.? Also, are there any costs of bringing the car back to the US that aren't covered in the $51K?

The ED option looks like a real bargin, considering I've got plenty of FF miles to get me there.
[snapback]103749[/snapback]

No, you have to pay sales tax. Shipping costs are included in the price.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 19 2005, 10:10 AM
Looking at the BMWUSA website today, I see that European delivery on a 545i is about $51.5K for the base model.? ? I was about ready to order an '06 530i which the dealer will sell at $1,500 over invoice, or about $48.5K for the base model with premium package and AT.?

Can anyone with knowledge of the ED comment--? is there anyway to avoid paying state sales taxes (CA in my case) on the purchase if you do ED?? I assume not, but thought I'd check.? Also, are there any costs of bringing the car back to the US that aren't covered in the $51K?

I ordered a 530i for pickup in munich on june 1st. Yes, we have to pay sales tax. No there are no charges for bringing the car back to the U.S. other than the 695 everyone has to pay anyways.

You are paying the same amount I am. It really is quite a deal when you can get 1500 or so over invoice and get the european delivery discount.

You probably have noticed that the price of the 530i went up slightly compared to last year. However, it is nice that the HID lights are included now.

When are you picking up your car?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 19 2005, 09:10 AM

You have to pay sales tax. Everything else is covered including road tax and insurance for Europe and you get to take delivery twice.

The Down side is that you pay for your car 3 months before US delivery. You get the plates from the DMV and make payments before you leave for Europe.

If you you are planning a holiday around ED, its a great vacation. ED will probably not save you much otherwise. Europe is expensive especially if you spend a couple of weeks there and more so now with our weak dollar.

Look at this post for details and rationale.

Don't get me wrong, ED is great, I would do it every three years if I could get the time of work. I also have three children who are now old enough to join us. That too poses conflict. Just don't fool your self about the cost of getting to and spending 10 days in Europe.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

You would have to "Use" the vehicle out-of-state for 365 days

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...onresident.htm

Use Tax This tax is similar to sales tax. It is collected at the same rate as your county of residence. It is due on all vehicles purchased in California and on those brought into this state. Existing law imposes a use tax on a vehicle purchased outside of California and brought into California within 90 days of purchase. New legislation effective October 1, 2004 through July 1, 2006 requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date. Any sales taxes paid out-of-state will be considered when computing the use tax due this state. This fee is due for ownership transfer of recently purchased vehicles.

When I say "Use" i mean that you must show receipts showing near constant use of the vehicle out of state.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Members

You could try registering the car in Oregon but you'd probably want to have an Oregon drivers license in case you were ever stopped. The penalties for "cheating" on the CA DMV are high. That said i see many Oregon plates on cars here and the owners definately live in CA full time.

Side note: I didn't register for the DMV and the plates until the car came back from Germany. The dealer did all of the normal registration stuff when I got the car redelivered. If you register the car before you go to Germany to pick it up you are paying the registration fee for 3 months or so for no reason. I think this is how it's normally done though...I've never heard of anyone getting the car registered before it hits your local dealership.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bitrider' date='Mar 19 2005, 09:24 AM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Mar 19 2005, 10:10 AM']Looking at the BMWUSA website today, I see that European delivery on a 545i is about $51.5K for the base model.? ? I was about ready to order an '06 530i which the dealer will sell at $1,500 over invoice, or about $48.5K for the base model with premium package and AT.??

I ordered a 530i for pickup in munich on june 1st. Yes, we have to pay sales tax. No there are no charges for bringing the car back to the U.S. other than the 695 everyone has to pay anyways.

You are paying the same amount I am. It really is quite a deal when you can get 1500 or so over invoice and get the european delivery discount.

You probably have noticed that the price of the 530i went up slightly compared to last year. However, it is nice that the HID lights are included now.

When are you picking up your car?
[snapback]103753[/snapback]
[/quote]

Haven't ordered yet, but I expect to order this week, possibly today. The dealer that I prefer to work with hasn't matched the price of another dealer yet.

What is the discount on ED for a 530? We are looking at a new 2006 530, and the BMWUSA website only shows the discount on the 545.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MARCUS545' date='Mar 19 2005, 12:37 PM
You could try registering the car in Oregon but you'd probably want to have an Oregon drivers license in case you were ever stopped.? The penalties for "cheating" on the CA DMV are high.? That said i see many Oregon plates on cars here and the owners definately live in CA full time.?

Side note: I didn't register for the DMV and the plates until the car came back from Germany.? The dealer did all of the normal registration stuff when I got the car redelivered.? If you register the car before you go to Germany to pick it up? you are paying the registration fee for 3 months or so for no reason.? I think this is how it's normally done though...I've never heard of anyone getting the car registered before it hits your local dealership.
[snapback]103825[/snapback]

Thanks-- if I had a 2nd house in Oregon I might try that, but I don't want to do anything unnatural to skirt the sales tax.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by MARCUS545' date='Mar 19 2005, 12:37 PM
I think this is how it's normally done though...I've never heard of anyone getting the car registered before it hits your local dealership.
[snapback]103825[/snapback]
This is normal and thats what happened to me. The US sale is transacted on payment which for ED must be one month before delivery.