Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Dec 12 2004, 10:16 PM
It's an awesome experience, and yes, you should save around $3800 off MSRP.

Here's the catch, you have to pay for the car in full 2-4 weeks before you pick it up in Europe.? That means you pay for the car, and don't have use of it for 2-4 weeks beforehand, and 4-8 weeks afterwards.? If you have a loan or lease payment you'll end up paying an extra couple payments at least before getting your car in the US.? Three months loan payments plus a plane ticket can eliminate most of the savings.? But if you're paying cash, or just want to have a great experience driving in Germany on the Autobahn, it's worth it.
[snapback]68512[/snapback]
Thanks ... will be paying cash, so loan payments not a problem ... also been in Germany a few times (and can fly on "points" so no real cost to fly) ... how many miles/kilometers did you put on "breaking it in" before you "pinned" it on the autobahn?
Old 12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Dec 12 2004, 10:11 PM
[quote name='mrbelk' date='Dec 12 2004, 07:26 PM']Unless I am mistaken, European Delivery is only provided by BMW of North America and not BMW Canada.? I suppose you could do it, but you have to order the car through a US dealer, and the car will be built to US specs with BMW of North America options.? I don't know what Canadian import duties/customs/taxes you will incur by importing a US bought car into Canada.

The savings are definitely real, considering the base ED MSRP is 7% lower than the base US MSRP, and there is an equivalent base ED invoice price that is 7% lower than the base US invoice price.

The experience is awesome (check out www.thebelkfamily.net/travel for my 545 ED experience); and I will never buy/lease another BMW any other way.

-MrB
[snapback]68453[/snapback]
Last time I looked at a map of the world, Canada was apart of North America, actually, it was the biggest part of North America ... oh, you must mean the United States of America, or BMW US

Just kidding, us Canadian are use to Americans making this mistake

I'll check it out with my dealer here just to make sure ...
[snapback]68509[/snapback]
[/quote]

Funny... Atleast I know which direction on your flag to point the maple leaf. Most Amercans (I mean United States of Americans) don't realize that Mexico is in North American either.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

I guess I should ask, has any Canadian's (or Mexicans ) done an ED? If so, would be interested in your comments and cost savings
Old 12-13-2004, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Dec 12 2004, 11:11 PM
[quote name='mrbelk' date='Dec 12 2004, 07:26 PM']Unless I am mistaken, European Delivery is only provided by BMW of North America and not BMW Canada.? I suppose you could do it, but you have to order the car through a US dealer, and the car will be built to US specs with BMW of North America options.? I don't know what Canadian import duties/customs/taxes you will incur by importing a US bought car into Canada.

The savings are definitely real, considering the base ED MSRP is 7% lower than the base US MSRP, and there is an equivalent base ED invoice price that is 7% lower than the base US invoice price.

The experience is awesome (check out www.thebelkfamily.net/travel for my 545 ED experience); and I will never buy/lease another BMW any other way.

-MrB
[snapback]68453[/snapback]
Last time I looked at a map of the world, Canada was apart of North America, actually, it was the biggest part of North America ... oh, you must mean the United States of America, or BMW US

Just kidding, us Canadian are use to Americans making this mistake

I'll check it out with my dealer here just to make sure ...
[snapback]68509[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am fully aware that both Canada and Mexico are in North America. There is, however, a definite distinction within the BMW organization between BMW of North America (the importer of BMW's bound for the United States of America), and BMW Canada (the importer of BMW's bound for Canada), and BMW Mexico. Those organizations have completely independent relationships with the "mother company," BMW AG, in Munich.

My only point is that BMW Canada may or may not have the same ED arrangement with BMWAG as BMW of North America does. There is absolutely no mention of ED on BMW Canada's website, at least not that I could find with a cursory search.

-MrB
Old 12-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Dec 12 2004, 10:22 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Dec 12 2004, 10:16 PM']It's an awesome experience, and yes, you should save around $3800 off MSRP.

Here's the catch, you have to pay for the car in full 2-4 weeks before you pick it up in Europe.? That means you pay for the car, and don't have use of it for 2-4 weeks beforehand, and 4-8 weeks afterwards.? If you have a loan or lease payment you'll end up paying an extra couple payments at least before getting your car in the US.? Three months loan payments plus a plane ticket can eliminate most of the savings.? But if you're paying cash, or just want to have a great experience driving in Germany on the Autobahn, it's worth it.
Thanks ... will be paying cash, so loan payments not a problem ... also been in Germany a few times (and can fly on "points" so no real cost to fly) ... how many miles/kilometers did you put on "breaking it in" before you "pinned" it on the autobahn?
[snapback]68513[/snapback]
[/quote]

I talked to the tech's when I picked up my car. They said to take it easy the first few hundred miles to set the brake pads. For the first 1200 vary the rpm, keep it under 4500, and don't put the engine under excessive load. I had 600 miles on the car when I was returning to Frankfurt. I hit a beautiful long downhill stretch early in the morning, and with 3/4 throttle had it over 150 mph. Steady as a rock. Everyone should experience it at least once!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

[/quote]

I am fully aware that both Canada and Mexico are in North America. There is, however, a definite distinction within the BMW organization between BMW of North America (the importer of BMW's bound for the United States of America), and BMW Canada (the importer of BMW's bound for Canada), and BMW Mexico. Those organizations have completely independent relationships with the "mother company," BMW AG, in Munich.

My only point is that BMW Canada may or may not have the same ED arrangement with BMWAG as BMW of North America does. There is absolutely no mention of ED on BMW Canada's website, at least not that I could find with a cursory search.

-MrB
[snapback]68569[/snapback]
[/quote]
FYI ... just spoke to the dealer here in Canada, he did say that ED is available in Canada but wasn't sure of the cost savings (typical)
Old 12-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Dec 13 2004, 11:18 AM
[quote name='Canada545' date='Dec 12 2004, 10:22 PM'][quote name='wolverine' date='Dec 12 2004, 10:16 PM']It's an awesome experience, and yes, you should save around $3800 off MSRP.

[snapback]68513[/snapback]
[/quote]

I talked to the tech's when I picked up my car. They said to take it easy the first few hundred miles to set the brake pads. For the first 1200 vary the rpm, keep it under 4500, and don't put the engine under excessive load. I had 600 miles on the car when I was returning to Frankfurt. I hit a beautiful long downhill stretch early in the morning, and with 3/4 throttle had it over 150 mph. Steady as a rock. Everyone should experience it at least once!
[snapback]68623[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nice ... thanks ... if I decide to do the ED, I hope that I will enough time/miles/kilometer in the car so that I can drive it like it is meant to be driven, on the autobahn ...
Old 12-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

ED sounds like fun. I may do that when i get older and if i buy another bimmer.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I did a ED from Canada some years ago (not E60). Here are some comments:
1. Cost savings was zero. Paid MSRP for the car.
2. Had it in Europe 1 year. Cost of insurance was rediculous.
3. Took about 4-5 weeks for the car to get from Frankfurt to New Westminster.
4. Paid full 15% VAT on car which was refunded when exported
5. Paid Canadian tax on depreciated value of car.
6. It was a great experience and something I always wanted to do but I doubt if I would do it again.
7. As far as BMW NA is concerned, Canada is not part of North America. When I try to enter my VIN in the "Owners Circle" it is not recognized.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Dec 13 2004, 02:54 PM
I did a ED from Canada some years ago (not E60).? Here are some comments:
1. Cost savings was zero.? Paid MSRP for the car.?
2. Had it in Europe 1 year.? Cost of insurance was rediculous.
3. Took about 4-5 weeks for the car to get from Frankfurt to New Westminster.
4. Paid full 15% VAT on car which was refunded when exported
5. Paid Canadian tax on depreciated value of car.
6. It was a great experience and something I always wanted to do but I doubt if I would do it again.
7. As far as BMW NA is concerned, Canada is not part of North America.? When I try to enter my VIN in the "Owners Circle" it is not recognized.
[snapback]68683[/snapback]
Thanks ... I'll see what the Dealer has to say ... Seems like your 1 year stay in Europe is much longer than most, wonder if that factored into things ...

Quick Reply: European Delivery