Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reviewing the American BWM home page, it describes how the "European Delivery" on a 545 Sedan has a $3,905 US$ Savings off of the MSRP ... my questions are ...

1. Are these real savings or something you can easily negotiation off of the price of the car (without having to go to Germany)?

2. Are there other costs to the European Delivery (next to flights, gas, food, beer money, and accommodations) that are added (perhaps when the car gets back to Canada/States) that eliminates the savings?

3. Is the European Delivery for Canadians/Americans worth while?

4. Finally, if I order my car with Navigation (which I will get the Canada/US DVD), while in Europe, will they provide me with a German/European Navigation DVD?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Dec 12 2004, 05:37 PM
After reviewing the American BWM home page, it describes how the "European Delivery" on a 545 Sedan has a $3,905 US$ Savings off of the MSRP ... my questions are ...

1.? Are these real savings or something you can easily negotiation off of the price of the car (without having to go to Germany)?

2.? Are there other costs to the European Delivery (next to flights, gas, food, beer money, and accommodations) that are added (perhaps when the car gets back to Canada/States) that eliminates the savings?

3.? Is the European Delivery for Canadians/Americans worth while?

4.? Finally, if I order my car with Navigation (which I will get the Canada/US DVD), while in Europe, will they provide me with a German/European Navigation DVD?
[snapback]68395[/snapback]
1. The savings are absolutely real. And although BMWNA frowns on it, and they may be difficult to negociate, you can in fact get further discounts off of the ED MSRP. I got a further $2,000.

2. There are no other costs however you do have to pay for the car 30 days before scheduled ED.

3. Again, IMO, it's worth it for the fun factor alone. Add the cost savings and it can't be beat.

4. You will not get a nav disc while in Europe (the North American disc is provided when the car arrives on this side of the Atlantic). However, there has often been a "network" of people who have passed their European disc along to the next person flying over. Check here and on Roadfly.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

1. The savings are absolutely real. And although BMWNA frowns on it, and they may be difficult to negociate, you can in fact get further discounts off of the ED MSRP. I got a further $2,000.

2. There are no other costs however you do have to pay for the car 30 days before scheduled ED.

3. Again, IMO, it's worth it for the fun factor alone. Add the cost savings and it can't be beat.

4. You will not get a nav disc while in Europe (the North American disc is provided when the car arrives on this side of the Atlantic). However, there has often been a "network" of people who have passed their European disc along to the next person flying over. Check here and on Roadfly.
[snapback]68397[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks, good feedback

So are you saying that without the ED, you might of only gotten $2000 US$ off the MSRP?

Another question comes to mind, from the date you purchased/ordered you car, how many weeks/months after did you have your ED? Then, I'm assuming after you dropped off your car for its trip to Boston, it took 30ish days to arrive at the dealer, correct?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Dec 12 2004, 06:20 PM
[snapback]68397[/snapback]
Thanks, good feedback

So are you saying that without the ED, you might of only gotten $2000 US$ off the MSRP?

Another question comes to mind, from the date you purchased/ordered you car, how many weeks/months after did you have your ED? Then, I'm assuming after you dropped off your car for its trip to Boston, it took 30ish days to arrive at the dealer, correct?
[snapback]68408[/snapback]
[/quote]

Look around this board. I think that many people are getting more than USD2000 off the US MSRP. But I don't think anyone is getting USD6000 off. In addition, at least here in the States, one-year membership with the BMW Car Club of America got me a USD1000 rebate!

I ordered my car at the beginning of January. It could have been available for pick-up in Munich by the end of February, but I wanted an end of April pick-up. After drop-off in Vienna, it took 5 weeks to get back to my dealer here in Boston.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

I'm in the process of a ED. My pick up date is Jan.12th- 530i -Titanium Gray-Black Leather-Nav-HUD-PP-CWP-SP-PDC-Xenon- Steptronic-Logic7-FDRS-Power Shades-BMW mats-Wheel Locks---$53.900. You tell me if its worth it to do a ED.
vern
Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Unless I am mistaken, European Delivery is only provided by BMW of North America and not BMW Canada. I suppose you could do it, but you have to order the car through a US dealer, and the car will be built to US specs with BMW of North America options. I don't know what Canadian import duties/customs/taxes you will incur by importing a US bought car into Canada.

The savings are definitely real, considering the base ED MSRP is 7% lower than the base US MSRP, and there is an equivalent base ED invoice price that is 7% lower than the base US invoice price.

The experience is awesome (check out www.thebelkfamily.net/travel for my 545 ED experience); and I will never buy/lease another BMW any other way.

-MrB
Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributors

I ordered my car in Nov. and I specified a Jan. pick up date in Munich. It does save you a lot of money compared to buying it here in the States. Right now Lufthansa has a special with BMW, where you get 2 free plane tickets if you travel between Jan. and March, which made the deal even sweeter.

They also just informed me at my dealer that you don't have to pay 30 days in advance anymore. It is now 2 weeks in advance, but therefore they have also changed the insurance in Europe. You used to be able to drive the car for up to 30 days, now it is only 2 weeks.

I am only going for 1 week. Just to pick up the car, drive it on the Autobahn and have it shipped to the States. I am on the west-coast and it looks like I will have to wait 6-8 weeks for my car, after I drop it off. That will be really hard, especially since I will have driven the car for a week. :'(

...what we don't do to save some money.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i 6speed

It is an awesome experience.

The savings is about 3300 on the 530 (plus the tax that you did not pay on the 3300 plus the finance charges on the 3300)

I spent about 2300 in Europe. I have clients in Munich and Stuttgart, so it is a tax deduction for me. Also, I did priceline for the hotels which saved me lots of money.

I dropped off the car in Munich on the 9th of November and picked it up from my dealer in Western Michigan on the 9th of December -- exactly one month. It was the longest month in recent memory.

I drove about 850 miles in Germany and Switzerland, much of it on the autobahn.

Would I do it again ----- ABSOLUTELY!
Old 12-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Dec 12 2004, 07:26 PM
Unless I am mistaken, European Delivery is only provided by BMW of North America and not BMW Canada.? I suppose you could do it, but you have to order the car through a US dealer, and the car will be built to US specs with BMW of North America options.? I don't know what Canadian import duties/customs/taxes you will incur by importing a US bought car into Canada.

The savings are definitely real, considering the base ED MSRP is 7% lower than the base US MSRP, and there is an equivalent base ED invoice price that is 7% lower than the base US invoice price.

The experience is awesome (check out www.thebelkfamily.net/travel for my 545 ED experience); and I will never buy/lease another BMW any other way.

-MrB
[snapback]68453[/snapback]
Last time I looked at a map of the world, Canada was apart of North America, actually, it was the biggest part of North America ... oh, you must mean the United States of America, or BMW US

Just kidding, us Canadian are use to Americans making this mistake

I'll check it out with my dealer here just to make sure ...
Old 12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

It's an awesome experience, and yes, you should save around $3800 off MSRP.

Here's the catch, you have to pay for the car in full 2-4 weeks before you pick it up in Europe. That means you pay for the car, and don't have use of it for 2-4 weeks beforehand, and 4-8 weeks afterwards. If you have a loan or lease payment you'll end up paying an extra couple payments at least before getting your car in the US. Three months loan payments plus a plane ticket can eliminate most of the savings. But if you're paying cash, or just want to have a great experience driving in Germany on the Autobahn, it's worth it.

Quick Reply: European Delivery