Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Epic fail dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

^Not sure wtf happened.

I just got back from the DMV. Wanted to find out if there's more I could do, but they said that since they don't have the title, they cannot do anything for me.

Said that on 9/17/2009, PNO (or something) was paid so that the renewal fee does not go up. That is having me believe that maybe the dealer did not pay off the vehicle... oh wtf!

Was going to go in today, but they don't open till 10AM. When my buddy called them to make sure people are in office, nobody was there.

So anyway, going to see if I should still go down today.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1038199' date='Oct 22 2009, 12:00 PM
In Cali it's a little different. The plates stay withe car for it's life (unless you get personalized plates). Like my car, it came with plates since I bought it CPO, I just couldn't use them until the title was transferred, which takes about 6 weeks. Until then I had a registration sticker on my windshield so that police see that and don't bother you for not having plates (they know you just bought it). 5 months is waaaaay too long though. If I hadn't gotten my registration after 6 weeks THEN I would be at the dealers getting an explanation, title, and check for my fees paid and then gone to the DMV myself.
I did not know that. Seems this system makes it easy for unscrupulous dealers, such as this vermin, to rip off people. In MA, the car cannot leave the lot if it isn't properly registered and with either a new plate or the plate from the car you just traded in or sold on your own. The previous plate either stayed with the previous owner to be transferred to his new car or gets returned to the DMV if the previous owner is not transferring it to a new car. Usually, you make the final payment upon delivery and then they hand you the keys and registration to your waiting car.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Contributors

So I did not go down today. I might tomorrow. I am putting back the stupid dealer plates on, so I don't get pulled over for expired tag. Sigh.

I will see if I can make it down there tomorrow. Have two morning meetings, and the rest of the day... I will see.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='1038559' date='Oct 22 2009, 07:48 PM
So I did not go down today. I might tomorrow. I am putting back the stupid dealer plates on, so I don't get pulled over for expired tag. Sigh.
I will see if I can make it down there tomorrow. Have two morning meetings, and the rest of the day... I will see.
You should determine if someone with the authority to address this issue will actually be there - so you don't waste the trip or so they don't try to duck you!

My suggestion might seem a bit underhanded but sometimes situations like yours require special tact and diplomacy

Have someone call and express interest in buying 2-3 of their high line cars [hit their website to specifically mention cars] and he and his partner want to come in to BUY - not shop. Ask who has the total authority to close deals on the spot for cash customers, get a name, title, and (cell) phone number before setting an appointment to meet him/her.

Then YOU show up ...BAM!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1038127
Did salesman take off with $$??
That was my initial thought as well...

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='1038426

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1038567' date='Oct 22 2009, 08:07 PM
You should determine if someone with the authority to address this issue will actually be there - so you don't waste the trip or so they don't try to duck you!

My suggestion might seem a bit underhanded but sometimes situations like yours require special tact and diplomacy

Have someone call and express interest in buying 2-3 of their high line cars [hit their website to specifically mention cars] and he and his partner want to come in to BUY - not shop. Ask who has the total authority to close deals on the spot for cash customers, get a name, title, and (cell) phone number before setting an appointment to meet him/her.

Then YOU show up ...BAM!
There's ALWAYS someone on the premises of a dealership with the authority. The problem maybe - and probably is - that they simply did not pay the car off, so they don't have the title, so authority is not the issue here. I just hope that they have enough cash flow to pay the car off so that they can finally get the title.

You understand that if they had the title, it would be in their best interest to register the car ASAP, because that frees up a plate for them to issue to the next car sold (if they issue plates there - not sure of the law on this in Cali). Either way, if they aren't registering the car this long - means they do not have the title in their possession. Which most likely means they either didn't pay it off or they stole the car, sold it, pocketed the money and left - in which case, they'll probably be coming to steal the car again and again.

OP, I sure hope you can get on this ASAP - this has a potential to get REALLY ugly, bud. Again, if you need any help, let me know.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Contributors

^ Thanks man. I guess I was totally naive and trust people too much.

This is a smaller dealership, and the guy seems to deal with high end vehicles. When I in the warehouse (garage), I saw a number of high end cars, so I really didn't suspect foul play.

So in any case, I will definitely be making my way down tomorrow and get some kind of answer for this. I tried calling the guy three times today on his cell, and did not reach him =(
Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='1037644' date='Oct 21 2009, 05:54 PM
I have called DMV already, they gave me a number to call for investigation, but I am not sure what that is suppose to do? And the written complaint, I have filed with BBB. What other steps should I take?
You need to follow through as DMV told you to do. Apparently, CA has an office of field investigation to look into complaints like yours. Dealerships are licensed by the state DMV, which can suspend or revoke a dealership license.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='1038614' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:28 PM
^ Thanks man. I guess I was totally naive and trust people too much.

This is a smaller dealership, and the guy seems to deal with high end vehicles. When I in the warehouse (garage), I saw a number of high end cars, so I really didn't suspect foul play.

So in any case, I will definitely be making my way down tomorrow and get some kind of answer for this. I tried calling the guy three times today on his cell, and did not reach him =(
Don't waste time. If you're driving there tomorrow, call local authorities to meet you there.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Frank5er' post='1038734' date='Oct 23 2009, 02:34 AM
Don't waste time. If you're driving there tomorrow, call local authorities to meet you there.
This might actually not be overkill...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributors

^Oh really? What are my legal grounds on this? I definitely would prefer to get this taken care of as cleanly as possible. But if the police can actually help me get this taken care of quicker, that would be great.

Also, I am wondering what are the possibility of my car being a stolen vehicle, and if that is the case, how does that affect me?

Quick Reply: Epic fail dealer