Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dunlop Runflat Issue Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats
Smile

I am having the same issue with the uneven wear on the front 2 tires. Sounds like a tractor again. Has anyone had their second set replaced by BMW through a PUMA case? or am I on my own?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've heard of people getting a second set from BMW (I'm expecting that for myself as well.)

If you read the service bulletin on the subject, there's no mention of doing this only once per customer. If you think about it, it wouldn't be right for BMW to say "we'll replace your defective tires" and then later say "we're not going to replace your defective tires..."
Old 12-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i space gray/black, 6sp manual, ZSP, DHP, Prem, Prem2, split-fold rear seats SOLD: 2008 550i sport, 6sp manual, Carbon Black/Black, Active Steering, NAV, CWP, Heated and Folding Rear Seats, PDC, Logic 7, IPOD, Bluetooth SOLD: 2004 545i sport, 6sp manual, 3/04 build date, Saphire Black/Beige, NAV, CWP, Heated and Folding Rear Seats, PDC, Logic 7, Bluetooth

Yes, I just had my second set of Dunlops replaced, this time with Bridgestones.

The first set was replaced at 13k (5k out of that was on winter tires). The second set lasted from 13k to 20k before I really started hearing the noise again. BMW rep. recommended replacing the Dunlops with Bridgestones and that's what they did. I won't drive the car on the new tires till spring as I now have winter wheels on.

The bad news is that they scuffed two of my rims during tire replacement. I am yet to talk to them about it.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Members

I recently had a second set of replacements, at no charge, this time to Bridgestones instead of the Dunlops.

I must say that the Bridgestones have a more harsh ride and are a little noisy right out of the box. When new, the Dunlops were outstanding - smooth and quiet - it just didn't last very long.

From what I hear, the tire problem is more of a suspension issue that a tire issue, as some have reported noise problems with brands other than Dunlops. I'll let you know how my Bridgestones sound in a few months.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

If mine happens again, I may officially flip my lid.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:45 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' post='216004' date='Dec 27 2005, 07:35 PM
If mine happens again, I may officially flip my lid.
Great quote and that's official.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Interesting. Just had my first set replaced last week @ 8400 miles. New Dunlops are just as I remember when car was brand new, quiet and assured. I wonderered as this was going down with absolutely no negotiation or hassle by BMW , that if this happened again, would they be replaced yet again, and again, et.al.? I agree with Rudy, that as long as they've authorized legitimate replacement based on the TSB spec.'s once, they will continue to do so for as long as the problem persists, as long as you fall within the TSB criteria.

Frankly, its a mild hassle, but if in the end BMW and Dunlop are going to keep replacing these expensive tires at no cost to me (other than alignment $), I'm cool. Bottom line, they may not have fixed the underlying problem, but they are taking care of me/you, their customer.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

But then again they can always cancel the TSB and replace it with a new one and say NO MORE replacing tires... I'm fearing that day right now...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='216172' date='Dec 28 2005, 12:30 AM
But then again they can always cancel the TSB and replace it with a new one and say NO MORE replacing tires... I'm fearing that day right now...
I'm not worried about that for a couple reasons.

First, the precedent is already set for them to replace the tires based on this defective condition. I don't see what logic they could use to change their position and all of a sudden say "there's nothing wrong now" or "we're not going to fix this anymore."

Second, even if they do decide not to change them anymore, I will have received at least two free sets of tires during the car's life. There's no way I'd still be on the original set right now based on the expected life of these high performance tires. I'm way ahead in terms of money if you add up what I would have spent on tires vs. how much I've actually spent. (The total cost spent on tires divided by the car's mileage.) Right now, the only money I've spent on tires is for my snow setup...
Old 12-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Members

Rudy, I'm not so sure they won't evenually stop the free replacements. It can't go on forever. According to some posters, Dunlop now claims they've remedied the issue with a revised tire, so it's BMW's cost to replace.

Second, while I appreciate getting new tires for free, I wouldn't say that this whole issue is a positive one. I didn't pay $65K for a car to spend half its life listening to noisy tires and having to continually take it back in for replacements. It's a big hassle. Same thing with all the i-drive/software issues.

But I'll take 'em for now.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Runflat Issue Again