Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Does anyone know production timing prior to ED?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 7 1/2 weeks out before scheduled ED pick-up and my status still shows 'on-order'. Does anyone know what the typical timing is for 'scheduled for production', to actual production, and then at pick-up/Munich location?

(sorry if this has been asked already, I couldn't find it...)
Old 04-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Apr 23 2004, 10:24 AM
I'm 7 1/2 weeks out before scheduled ED pick-up and my status still shows 'on-order'.? Does anyone know what the typical timing is for 'scheduled for production', to actual production, and then at pick-up/Munich location?

(sorry if this has been asked already, I couldn't find it...)
Generally, ED cars are built in the month before the month that you take delivery in Munich. For example, I'm picking up a 545 next Thursday (4/29), and my car was built in March, early March at that.

The production allocations for a given month are assigned to the individual dealers towards the end of (production month -2). So, March production (for an April pickup) is assigned at the end of January. ED production allocations are usually assigned a few days after the normal allocations are released, since most ED cars don't come out of a dealer's normal allocation (M-cars and 6er's excluded).

Anyway, your CA should be able to tell you what your production week is from his daily inventory report.

Also, the 800 number (800-831-1117) is much more up to date than the Owner's Circle website. Just follow the voice prompts and say "Vehicle Production Status" and then say your production number, and the system will return your current status (which is much more granular than the OC, too, like it will say "In Production - Paint Shop," or "In-Production - Final Assembly."

FWIW, once the car is built, it will sit in "Awaiting Transport" status until you pick it up and drop it off.

Have you checked the ED forum at http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums? It's an amazing resource for information, trip stories, travel advice, etc.

-MrB
Old 04-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

mrbelk, your input is right on target and just what I need to understand. I'll try that number and also check out the other web site.

thanks!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

No sweat. The wait is a killer; believe me! Next Wednesday can't come too soon! Of course, the wait will then begin for the vehicle to get back to the US.

-MrB