Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Do dealers "update" cars before they are sold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 11:29 AM
z

With all these updates I am hearing about, I am getting a little skeptical about plunking down good money for a great car that is handicapped by so many Microsoft style bugs.

My question is, if I buy a car from a dealer, would it be more or less bug-free, or would it have already been patched up to date with all the updates the dealer has received from BMW HQ so far?

It would seem only logical for a dealer to update every car they receive before they are put on the lot or in showrooms to be sold, but logic is not always the way of Bavarians.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter for me?

thanks,

z
Old 01-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

All new vehicles are updated as part of the PDI.

Apparently they go to the dealers with basic programming and when they are checked out the updates are downloaded straight away.

One thing I think we need to take stock on is that thiese are totally new models and are likely to have a few "glitches" to start with. All I can say is even though I have a small issue over the steering on mine feeling vague. BMW have been superb with help and back up. Updates have been done and the car improves more with each one.

Don't be put off. These cars are phenominal!

You wont be disappointed
Old 01-25-2004, 12:27 PM
z

Do you mean the software updates have improved your steering feel?

And thanks for the words of encouragement. Don't worry, the E60 is a beauty and I drool every time I see one.

I have recently purchased a 330 Individual, but we'll be needing another car and the 5er is on the top of the list and only followed by an X5 and the older 5 series.

z
Old 01-25-2004, 12:41 PM

Unfortunately not!

I dont have the fancy active steering just good old rack & pinion!

Hopefully an answer will be on its way when the BMW man comes from BMW GB for a test drive!

I must say though. I have been very lucky regarding electrical glitches (touches wood!)

Last update was last week which I believe was to do with gear change re mapping. Not that I noticed!

Will keep you updated.

Go for the 5. Lovely car! Even with the "glitches"!