Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

discounts in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a 530 in a colour combination that doesn't seem too available: silver grey with beige. I have done my homework and now I want a very good deal.

I have been told by my dealer in Toronto that a 1% or 2% discount is their max off MSRP. I have often bought cars before for invoice plus some amount such as $500 ro $1000.

They flat out refused invoice for $1000.

Any feedback on what I should consider an agressive price?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Members

I am in a similar situation as you as I am looking for either a 530 or 550 in Toronto. I need my car in May so I am not at the point of negoitating for a price yet. However, if you go to CarCostCanada.com you can get the invoice price and dealer incentives for the dealer. The cost is 39.95 for 5 reports.

The interesting thing is though: once you have picked your car and is ready to hit the PAID button, there is an advertisement stating that the Town & Country BMW is willing to reimburse the 39.95 amount if you purchase your bimmer from them. This is kind of strange, for why would a dealer want to encourage you for looking into ways of buying a car from them at a lower price? Hence, I did not buy the report from that site. Nonetheless, you may want to give it a shot. The Town & Country dealer is located at kennedy and 407.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Members

Thanks arthurk.

I deduced the approximate invoice using the US spread between MSRP and invoice showing on edmunds.com.

Any idea how much of a discount in percent is possible in this market?

Thanks again//
Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by julien' date='Sep 20 2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks arthurk.

I deduced the approximate invoice using the US spread between MSRP and invoice showing on edmunds.com.?

Any idea how much of a discount in percent is possible in this market?

Thanks again//
[snapback]172945[/snapback]
The thing is....if you based upon Edmunds web site the base MSRP price is 46800US and the invoice price is 42770US. That amounts to a 8.6% mark up. If you apply that to the Canadian price of 67800, the invoice price is about 61969.

I don't know if the above is the actual invoice price in Canada. But even if it is, we still need to take into account dealer incentives at any given time. If you are not in a hurry, try to hit the dealer during month-ends/quarter ends/year ends. They will be pushed to meet certain quotas and they will more likely be lenient.
CarCostCanada claims that they can provide a listing of the dealer incentives. It may be worth to give it a shot considering you are buying a $70000 car.

Please inform me about the dealer and discount you receive as I will be getting one in less than a year.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Members

I am also looking into getting a 530 and was also told by the dealer their pricing flexibility is about $1000 max. ie Around 1.5% off MRSP.

I haven't tried more dealers but the 06E60 is not even in the show rooms yet so its pretty hot right now. In fact the dealer said the 525 are flying out the windows and are pretty much sold out for the year.

But i also note that both 525 & 530 have a 4.5% Lease or Finance special going and that could be the reason they are firm on their pricing.

I am not in a hurry and prefer to have the car after the winter so i am definitely going to shop around.

Will post again if i get new info.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TraderBC' date='Sep 21 2005, 09:42 AM
I am also looking into getting a 530 and was also told by the dealer their pricing flexibility is about $1000 max. ie Around 1.5% off MRSP.

I haven't tried more dealers but the 06E60 is not even in the show rooms yet so its pretty hot right now. In fact the dealer said the 525 are flying out the windows and are pretty much sold out for the year.

But i also note that both 525 & 530 have a 4.5% Lease or Finance special going and that could be the reason they are firm on their pricing.

I am not in a hurry and prefer to have the car after the winter so i am definitely going to shop around.

[snapback]173153[/snapback]
Good info trader. I heard from a dealer that the leases of 525 is flying through the roof too because of the low lease rate, low base price and high residual value. 530 is selling at a lower residual value (can you believe that?). Anyhow, it sucks to be a Canadian looking for a bimmer......US prices are much better.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i (Canada); Deep Sea Blue Metallic; Creme Leather; M Sport Package; Premium Package; Nav Package.

Originally Posted by arthurk' date='Sep 21 2005, 11:36 AM
[quote name='TraderBC' date='Sep 21 2005, 09:42 AM']I am also looking into getting a 530 and was also told by the dealer their pricing flexibility is about $1000 max. ie Around 1.5% off MRSP.

[snapback]173153[/snapback]
Good info trader. I heard from a dealer that the leases of 525 is flying through the roof too because of the low lease rate, low base price and high residual value. 530 is selling at a lower residual value (can you believe that?). Anyhow, it sucks to be a Canadian looking for a bimmer......US prices are much better.
[snapback]173173[/snapback]
[/quote]

For what it's worth, I leased my 2006 525i in Ottawa in May, and negotiated 2% off MSRP. I don't think I could have done any better.

I agree that there's a huge gap in prices between Canada and the US right now. I doubt whether this can be sustained, since it will ultimately affect the price of used cars, and used cars can cross the boarder fairly freely. The current Canadian pricing still has a hangover from when the Canadian dollar was $.62 US. Over time, the car price gap has to close.

Note that when the Canadian dollar was $.62, prices were quite a bit lower in Canada, in absolute terms (rather than affordability terms), and Canadian dealers had to be strongly cautioned not to sell cars to US residents.

The MSRP of my car (525i with Premium and Nav and no-charge automatic) is CDN$64,700 or US$54,995 at the current exchange rate. On the US site, a similar car (adding cold-weather package -- which is largely standard in Canada, automatic, premium and nav) is US$49020. This isn't a totally equal comparison, since the US car would have headlight washers, lumbar support and universal garage door opener, which for some bizarre reason aren't included in the Premium package in Canada.

So the 525i is rougly 10% more expensive in Canada. I suspect that this gap will close over time.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Members

Pulled the trigger today, ordered a simple 530 silver/grey beige/poplar with :
steptronic
L7
comfort access (just for fun).

Should receive end of November.

The wait begins.

Thanks for all the great info, this forum definately played a part in my decision.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Members

...and I negotiated 5% off MRSP.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Members

congrads. Great DEAL. Which dealer did u go to.

did u choose any finance or lease options?

Quick Reply: discounts in Toronto