Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer wants to charge me $200 for alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need to get alignment done too.
i was debating between dealer vs an alignment place that my body shop referred..
well Riverside BMW is asking $200 for 4 wheels alignment, and the body shop is asking $80!
any thoughts? i have xi model, no AS
Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

I just had a 4-wheel alignment done at an indy that specializes in BMWs, Mercedes and Audis. With Active Steering it was still just $85, tax included. The owner has a BMW background so I have faith in him that the work gets done right. A quote from one of his competitors, also specializing in foreign cars, was $89.95. The dealer price, currently listed as a service "special", is $189.95.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 50LID' post='972600' date='Aug 11 2009, 04:42 PM
I think I'll get mine done while it's still under warranty.
Alignment is not covered under warranty. I'm actually having an alignment done on Saturday. My dealer is charging $150. They mentioned that BMW's should only have this service done at dealerships because they use a different procedure. I think they said that they weigh the car down with sandbags to replicate actual ride height with passengers. They said that a lot of independent shops who know anything about BMWs will actually deny an alignment service on BMWs...Sounds like my SA was blowing smoke up my ass. Regardless, it's only about $50 more to get it done at the dealership which I have no problem spending considering the value of the asset.

Also, I think someone in this thread mentioned discount tire. I'm pretty sure they don't do alignments.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='972617' date='Aug 11 2009, 04:54 PM
I would prefer to use the dealer - with active steering and adaptive headlights can't go wrong at the dealer. Do you really trust the guy at Discount Tire making $10/hr with your steering and lights? I don't
+1 Agree... That price is about right. I'm not sure if it's worth the savings and hassle for you to cross the hudson, but I have a coupon for $150 at BMW of Bloomfield in NJ. The coupon has my name and VIN on it, but I can delete that and just leave it blank. Won't hurt to try tho. PM me if you want it.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

BMW of Dallas did my alignment before and it WAS CRAP!
Rear right tires wear on the inner side TOO FAST because they set the camber to -2.3 and way off on the toe.

So that's what we call dealer alignment?

I did my lifetime alignment @ Firestone for $150.

I know the alignment tech there so I pretty much can do my own alignment or tell him what EXACTLY needs to be done.

Basically put my car on the rack, run initial reading to find my initial spec.
Then I looked over the "acceptable range" then told the tech and set my spec EXACTLY in the middle except my rear camber. I chose to set it at -1.7 because over -2 is just ridiculous negative camber.

If you were not supervising the tech in both BMW dealer or independent dealer, they could care less whether the spec is close to the borderline, as long as it's "within" spec, they drive your car off the rack.

For ex: acceptable camber is -1.2 to -1.9
If yours is in -1.85 = your car is in spec. DONE.
My tech adjusted my camber to -1.55.

It's all abt someone that you can trust or probably know and perform the alignment in your best interest.
A tech is a tech, they can get pay high or low but at most time they could care less abt your car anyway.
That's why I always tip the tech extra to make sure he's happy and will follow my instructions

Rather than going to BMW dealer and pay premium, find a passionate race/performance shop w/ alignment rack.
And speak to their manager/owner abt what you want from the alignment setting and I want to make sure it's done right.

As for AS, I think BMW is BSing too much that they have different method.
Basically after my car is off the rack, turned key off, turn the key on to ignition, start the engine, turn steering right all the way, left all the way, shut down engine, turn key off, then start again. The AS should reset

So far, my tires are wearing nicely w/o issue, adaptive xenon still works like before, AS still works like normal.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by salaki' post='973702' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:57 AM
For ex: acceptable camber is -1.2 to -1.9
If yours is in -1.85 = your car is in spec. DONE.
My tech adjusted my camber to -1.55.
is the true for xi model as well??
Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by lsungmo' post='973801' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:22 PM
is the true for xi model as well??
I was not quoting an exact alignment spec for any 5 series, it was just a sample spec to give an idea that some techs don't bother to adjust if your spec is within the green zone. Please don't think it's the right spec.
The alignment machine should have the spec for the Xi specifically and I would make sure you ask for the print out of before adjustment and after adjustment.

Another example, this one is 2002 Impreza WRX 2.0L Turbo

Basically if you take a look at front left camber, the "within spec" camber should be b/ +0.3 to -1.2.
If yours is -1.1, it's within spec but almost out of spec.
Some alignment shop/dealer will simply not adjust because it's "within" the green zone (to save them labor time) so you will need to nag abt adjusting it to -0.7 so it's in the middle of the allowed spec.

I hope I'm not confusing you
Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by jherm' post='973551' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:55 AM
Alignment is not covered under warranty. I'm actually having an alignment done on Saturday. My dealer is charging $150. They mentioned that BMW's should only have this service done at dealerships because they use a different procedure. I think they said that they weigh the car down with sandbags to replicate actual ride height with passengers. They said that a lot of independent shops who know anything about BMWs will actually deny an alignment service on BMWs...Sounds like my SA was blowing smoke up my ass. Regardless, it's only about $50 more to get it done at the dealership which I have no problem spending considering the value of the asset.

Also, I think someone in this thread mentioned discount tire. I'm pretty sure they don't do alignments.

JHERM your SA was right. I took mine into discount tire to ask about a wheel alignment last week and he refused saying that it should be done by BMW. I think the price difference is well worth the peace of mind you get from going to the dealership. Im not one to take everything to the dealer but this is something that, if done wrong, will go unnoticed and do some expensive damage (tires, etc). In fact, my car is at bmw today getting a wheel alignment and balancing (which they threw in for free so that makes the difference in price very little or none)
Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

I thought everything was cheaper in the US. I called my dealer this morning about one and it's $89.95 cdn !
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5' post='975311' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:55 AM
I thought everything was cheaper in the US. I called my dealer this morning about one and it's $89.95 cdn !

Good price. Too bad it's about $500 in gas to go to Canada and back or I would go there for an alignment