Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

DEALER SERVICE

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

so here it goes.....hello all....jack from the long beach area...recently traded an 01 540i for a 05 545....my issue......i almost feel like i shouldn't do this....but i know i will feel better afterward......had a HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE experience with the service dept at a socal dealership...(the one nearest my home.....)...namely the person in charge at the time....
is it me, OR is it TOTALLY unacceptable for the service manager to WALK AWAY from you while speaking to him about an issue with a two week old car?
i took my car in with about 860miles...three weeks due to the "overdue oil service" light coming and staying on.....although frustrated i realized it is a hi-tech car....and could forgive and forget ....took the car in, and while there i asked that they look into my alignment issue..(car pulled to the left SIGNIFICANTLY)...bottom line they did nothing...dismissed my request and the service manager without really knowing what did happen in the back defended the shop, and dismissed my claim....his answer was to bring it in AGAIN.....(they had the car for two whole days).....he also uncaringly told me to "make sure i brought it back before 1,000 mile mark or it wasn't gonna be covered" (his words)...is that a way to talk to someone with a brand new car...mentioning a problem that was not taken care of...? when i asked for something from him in writing that would cover me when i brought it back he walked away...i have never been so angry....
anyone else have any issues with service reps/managers? is it worth my time to write BMWNA or just let it go....
thanks....for listening!!
jj
Old 05-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Grey premium sound sport pkg auto trans rear sunshade fold down seats park distance control . Did euro delivery in July 2004. This was second ED.

Originally Posted by nappyjack' date='May 6 2005, 02:11 PM
so here it goes.....hello all....jack from the long beach area...recently traded an 01 540i for a 05 545....my issue......i almost feel like i shouldn't do this....but i know i will feel better afterward......had a HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE experience with the service dept at a socal dealership...(the one nearest my home.....)...namely the person in charge at the time....
is it me, OR is it TOTALLY unacceptable for the service manager to WALK AWAY from you while speaking to him about an issue with a two week old car?
i took my car in with about 860miles...three weeks due to the "overdue oil service" light coming and staying on.....although frustrated i realized it is a hi-tech car....and could forgive and forget ....took the car in, and while there i asked that they look into my alignment issue..(car pulled to the left SIGNIFICANTLY)...bottom line they did nothing...dismissed my request and the service manager without really knowing what did happen in the back defended the shop, and dismissed my claim....his answer was to bring it in AGAIN.....(they had the car for two whole days).....he also uncaringly told me to "make sure i brought it back before 1,000 mile mark or it wasn't gonna be covered" (his words)...is that a way to talk to someone with a brand new car...mentioning a problem that was not taken care of...?? when i asked for something from him in writing that would cover me when i brought it back he walked away...i have never been so angry....
anyone else have any issues with service reps/managers? is it worth my time to write BMWNA or just let it go....
jj
[snapback]125079[/snapback]
Old 05-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Grey premium sound sport pkg auto trans rear sunshade fold down seats park distance control . Did euro delivery in July 2004. This was second ED.

I would strongly suggest you communicate your experience to the General manager / owner of the dealership. I would guess I know who the dealer is as I also am from the Long Beach area. I am surprised at the response by the service dept. Very differant from my experiences over the last 10 years. I also would like this fixed before I need to visit the service dept for my 2004 545.

Sorry about the earlier post. Did not understand how to make my comments.

i took my car in with about 860miles...three weeks due to the "overdue oil service" light coming and staying on.....although frustrated i realized it is a hi-tech car....and could forgive and forget ....took the car in, and while there i asked that they look into my alignment issue..(car pulled to the left SIGNIFICANTLY)...bottom line they did nothing...dismissed my request and the service manager without really knowing what did happen in the back defended the shop, and dismissed my claim....his answer was to bring it in AGAIN.....(they had the car for two whole days).....he also uncaringly told me to "make sure i brought it back before 1,000 mile mark or it wasn't gonna be covered" (his words)...is that a way to talk to someone with a brand new car...mentioning a problem that was not taken care of...?? when i asked for something from him in writing that would cover me when i brought it back he walked away...i have never been so angry....
jj
Old 05-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

jj
wow.....totally unacceptable. And, I don't understand what the 1000 mile mark is all about. Don't you have 4 year/50K mile service-warranty on the car?

While my service department doesn't always seem to know everything I would like them to know, I am treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. You should ask for the service manager next time you go in. Service is very important to these dealerships, and good customer ratings are as well. The first SA that I dealt with at my dealership was just horribly......well, not smart. He was polite, and nice, and clearly knew very little about BMWs. He's now gone and his replacement is a breath of fresh air!! The service experience should NOT be dreadful!!

Let us know if you make any headway, or if things go better on your next trip in.....good luck!! But also know that all dealerships are not like that......and hopefully your problem is just one employee......
Old 05-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Welcome nappyjack!

There's no reason you should have been raised to the level of anger just for bringing in your new car for service. Clearly, you should communicate your dissatisfaction with the General Manager of the dealership (skip the service manager -- go straight to the GM or owner, as suggested earlier.) Also, don't be afraid to let us in on the name of the dealership. You might find other members here that can either direct you to a different person at that dealership or another dealership altogether.

Did you buy/lease your car at this dealership? If so, you can also involve the salesperson. They usually care more about customer service, etc. and are often frustrated when they learn about customers being treated poorly by the service department.

Don't waste your time writing BMW NA. They will give you the canned response apologizing for your bad experience but then they'll tell you that the dealers are independent agents and BMW NA has no control over them, blah, blah, blah...

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

thanks to the three of you for your responses.....for lack of making the initial post any longer than it already was ...i left out the part that i did already speak to the GM of the dealership....his "thank you for purchasing" letter came the next day iin the mail and it prompted me to call him directly....HE DID take time to listen to me and "understand" me....but it somehow didn't make me feel any better....i don't expect to be compensated in any way, i mean how do you compensate for that action.....but still, it was a really BAD experience....luckily...THE CAR itself makes up for their actions (and then some)....just sad i had to deal with them....
Old 05-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

I?m with BMW of North America, LLC. I?m so sorry your service experience was not what you expected. We are here to work with you and your BMW center. If you would like our assistance, please give us a call at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200513300255 so that we can help you more efficiently.

BMW NA Customer Relations
Old 05-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard, BMW NA Customer Relations!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by nappyjack' date='May 6 2005, 04:11 PM
jj
Don't be afraid to mention your dealers name.Put your dealer experience good or bad on www.dealerrater.com so everyone can benefit from them. I'm sorry that you are experiencing the bad side of the dealership,I hope everthing works out for you.I'm very very grateful that my dealer JMK BMW in Springfield,N.J. is first class in every way,Sales,Service and Bodyshop.Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='May 6 2005, 08:25 PM
[quote name='nappyjack' date='May 6 2005, 02:11 PM']so here it goes.....hello all....jack from the long beach area...recently traded an 01 540i for a 05 545....my issue......i almost feel like i shouldn't do this....but i know i will feel better afterward......had a HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE experience with the service dept at a socal dealership...(the one nearest my home.....)...namely the person in charge at the time....
jj
wow.....totally unacceptable. And, I don't understand what the 1000 mile mark is all about. Don't you have 4 year/50K mile service-warranty on the car?

While my service department doesn't always seem to know everything I would like them to know, I am treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. You should ask for the service manager next time you go in. Service is very important to these dealerships, and good customer ratings are as well. The first SA that I dealt with at my dealership was just horribly......well, not smart. He was polite, and nice, and clearly knew very little about BMWs. He's now gone and his replacement is a breath of fresh air!! The service experience should NOT be dreadful!!

Let us know if you make any headway, or if things go better on your next trip in.....good luck!! But also know that all dealerships are not like that......and hopefully your problem is just one employee......
[snapback]125205[/snapback]
[/quote]
I also was told of the "1,000 mile" milestone relating to an issue with the steering wheel being off center. As related to me by SA it was over 1,000 miles and BMW assumes u hit something and it is not a problem/defect with car as delivered. This when I was in at about 800 miles and told them of a planned 300 mile round trip in about 7 days time. Therefore I rescheduled in prior to trip, they took 5 minutes and reset me to zero offset on steering wheel (active steering) and remains good through 4,500 miles.

Quick Reply: DEALER SERVICE