Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer said no loaner if I did not buy from them...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called in the BMW dealer in my area today to schedule an appointment to fix the DTC issue. I found out that this problem seems to be quite common among new BMWs. When I asked for them to prepare a loaner car to drive for the day, they told me that they only gave loaners if I bought a car from them. Is this right? This is my first BMW, so I am not familiar with their policies. I own a Acura CL and Subaru WRX STi, and when I go for a service, I request and am given a loaner car to drive if the wait is more than a few hours. This BMW dealer said that the best they could do was to provide a shuttle service within 15 miles... However, they would not provide transportation BACK to the dealer to pick up the car. If this is the case, I must admit that I am a little dissapointed with BMW. A $60k car with 3k miles; with a problem; and they will not provide me the convenience of a loaner car.

Another thing that was a little annoying was that I asked the service Rep if they had the part in stock (because according to research, the part is on back order in alot of dealers). She did not attempt to help me find this out but merely offered to transfer me to Parts to hunt around. I told her that I do not know the exact part that needs to be replaced and would not feel comfortable asking for a part I am not sure will fix the problem. She did not offer any further assistance. Am I being unreasonable?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

This is just insane, you should report this service center to BMWNA, I bought my old 545i in NJ because they couldn't find me the one with all the options in FL, and not only that I get a loaner any time I need one, they even replaced the car for me eventually.

Shuttle my *ss - This dealer is a prick.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Actually, here in Socal it is SOP not to offer loaner cars for those that did not buy from the dealership doing the repair. You can complain to BMWUSA but they will not do anything about it. The same thing happened to me but fortunately I found a dealership that didn't care where I bought my car from. The only inconvenience was having to wait three weeks to get it serviced.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by jiio' post='307311' date='Jul 5 2006, 10:46 PM
Actually, here in Socal it is SOP not to offer loaner cars for those that did not buy from the dealership doing the repair. You can complain to BMWUSA but they will not do anything about it. The same thing happened to me but fortunately I found a dealership that didn't care where I bought my car from. The only inconvenience was having to wait three weeks to get it serviced.
Not getting a loaner is a common a occurrence with BMW dealer. Luckily for me, there's only 1 out of 4 dealers in the area that doesn't offer loaner if I didn't buy the car from them.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Some dealers care and some don't. What's your dealer?
We should have a new post talk about which dealer offer loaner if you didn't purchased over there.

I know Assael BMW located in SoCal does not offer loaner to people didn't purchase their BMW over there.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

My experience is that it really depends on how hungry for business the dealer's service department is. Usually they don't offer loaner or renter if you did not buy the car there. You don't get anything if the car is out of warranty. Even with the selling dealer some time you have to talk to your original salesman to get a loaner or renter. If you go to a newly opened dealer that haven't have much business yet you often get much better treatment. (Well, we are lucky that there are several dealers in the Toronto area to choose from, some are brand new).

Lexus and Audi are about the same, but I found Lexus to be much more customer friendly. For Audi my experience has been that new dealers treat you like king, old established busy dealers treat you like garbage.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Blah' post='307323' date='Jul 6 2006, 12:14 PM
My experience is that it really depends on how hungry for business the dealer's service department is. Usually they don't offer loaner or renter if you did not buy the car there. You don't get anything if the car is out of warranty. Even with the selling dealer some time you have to talk to your original salesman to get a loaner or renter. If you go to a newly opened dealer that haven't have much business yet you often get much better treatment. (Well, we are lucky that there are several dealers in the Toronto area to choose from, some are brand new).

Lexus and Audi are about the same, but I found Lexus to be much more customer friendly. For Audi my experience has been that new dealers treat you like king, old established busy dealers treat you like garbage.
I think it does depend on whether your dealer is busy or not. When I use to live in Toronto, I would call the stealer and I never go back to the one that I brought my car as they are really a prick. I let them know I wanted my car service and ask them to get me a loaner but usually I have to wait a week before they have time for me. They might not entertain you right away if you don't buy it from them, but if time is not a concern they will do it for you most of the time.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Members

I had the same problem with one dealer here. They not only would the not give me a loaner, but they called me up to yell at me when I told BMWNA that they did not get the repairs fully resolved.

They told me never ever tell BMWNA anything bad about them, and that they also would not even look into some warranty work if I did not buy the car from them.

They were really at the point of being verbally abusive, so I now take my car to MAG in Columbus, who treats me like royalty and provides a loaner with no questions asked.

I will def purchase my next one from MAG, not the other one.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 525 xiA.

Same can happen in Europe, or at least in Finland. I had given the car in for some warranty issues
as the warranty time was ending. Asked for a loaner but it was clear NO. Because I had imported the car
by myself and not purchased in Finland. I was really pissed off sitting in a bus and thinking this is my first BMW and -do they actually want me to purchase one day another one ? Just crazy behaviour. Does it really
matter where I bought a brand new BMW ??

Seems to be their policy, but I would not call that customer service

Hartsa
Old 07-06-2006, 01:53 AM
JC3
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i Titanium Silver GONE - 2005 530i Titanium Grey

Down here in Australia, they give you a loan car, but it comes at $60/day. No freebies regardless of where you bought your car.

Quick Reply: Dealer said no loaner if I did not buy from them...