Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer missed CPO checks - need advise please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

Did you buy it under market that they think they can make more money reselling it? If they have a "better" car for the same price... why not push the issue. However, who really ever knows. What were the miles and price you paid if I may ask. Where do you find the complete list of CPO check items???? I just picked up a 2007 550i w/ 48k miles for $31,695 (w/ .9% fin and BMW picking up the first 2 payments). They also missed some things... however, I do not know and cannot find what all items should be fixed/replaced under CPO.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: Bone stock silver gray 07 530i

Originally Posted by GoRavens' post='1087144' date='Jan 9 2010, 07:02 AM
Did you buy it under market that they think they can make more money reselling it? If they have a "better" car for the same price... why not push the issue. However, who really ever knows. What were the miles and price you paid if I may ask. Where do you find the complete list of CPO check items???? I just picked up a 2007 550i w/ 48k miles for $31,695 (w/ .9% fin and BMW picking up the first 2 payments). They also missed some things... however, I do not know and cannot find what all items should be fixed/replaced under CPO.
The one I got had a bit over 50K miles (You're deal on the 550 is a better deal than mine)...
I did talk to the manager yesterday... Some issues came up due to paperwork not being organized at the dealership... Wheels will be refinished....Got 2 new tires...Oil change was done as part of the CPO... The 5 miles Rolling Drive check didn't seem sufficient but I let it go since it did meet the minimum required...I'm ok with it the issues were addressed - some issues were subjective...

I found a PDF file of the BMW CPO inspection guideline somewhere online... I can email it to you if want to check it out.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Sounds like the dealer's service organization is as disorganized as their paperwork. If I were in your situation and decided to consider keeping this particular car I would require:
  • A complete printout of service and warranty actions on this vehicle
  • CPO inspection redone with a BMWNA representative overseeing the inspection and
  • Vehicle brought up to maximum (not minimum) CPO specifications
  • including brake lining thickness,
  • all tires, and
  • completion of all time and condition-based services required to be completed within 6 months or 5K miles based on iDrive or service record date monitoring

Lastly, I believe the buyer is entitled to a CPO inspection report. Don't lose it if it's been provided.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I am really surprised to hear all of this and I'm sorry you had to deal with it. BMW takes the CPO process VERY seriously. It's not only important for buyers of CPO vehicles but for those of us who lease, as well. As we all know, favorable lease rates are based on strong residuals. Our CPO program is the reason why our cars retain so much value coming off lease. Not sure of other dealers, but we have one person responsible for certifying all of our CPO cars and he is meticulous to say the very least. To say that he is a nit picky, detail obsessed lunatic might be more in line. Too bad other dealers don't have more people like him.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Members

I too put faith in the CPO process and was somewhat disappointed. Car had paint work done that didn't jump out at me until the first detail (3 days after purchase) dealer took care of the obvious issues. Definitely feel someone who inspects CPO cars for a living would have seen what was going on. The guy I ended up dealing with was the guy in charge of inspecting and turning around the car for CPO. Nice enough guy but pretty lackadaisical and my issues didn't seem like anything out of the norm for him. Even better the salesman basically told me not to complain be cause I got such a good deal.

Used car is a used car and a used car salesmen is a used car salesman........don't trust either of them