Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer Extortion on Tires for 08 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I can't believe I need new tires already on my 2008 550i which has only about 20k miles, but whatever. So I have my car serviced recently at the dealer and he tells me I need new tires (I have the Continental Sport Contact 2s). The car is a lease.

Dealer tells me those are the only approved tires for the car and that I need to buy them from the dealer because my car has Active Steering Control and they have to do the alignment. I say "OK, how much?". Dealer says, including alignment, stems, etc, it's $2081 (+ tax I believe). I couldn't believe it. I ask if they can sharpen their pencil a bit since I've been such a good customer over the year (3rd 5 series for me) and he says that is as good as he can do.

So, I call around to my local tire shop (where I've bought lots of tires of the years) and find they can turnkey the entire deal including alignment and tax for $1,500 out the door for the exact same tires.

So my question is whether or not a quality local tire shop can do the alignment even if the car has active steering control. Obviously I'll buy the tires there. Only question is whether or not I'll still need to have the dealer do the alignment. It seems like extortion to me.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

buy the tires from your local shop and then bring the car into BMW for the alignment. i honestly couldn't tell you if you have to have BMW do the alignment because of active steering though.

if no one responds on the forum you could always give BMW North America a call and ask.

Originally Posted by Monterey550i' post='822262' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:21 AM
First of all, I can't believe I need new tires already on my 2008 550i which has only about 20k miles, but whatever. So I have my car serviced recently at the dealer and he tells me I need new tires (I have the Continental Sport Contact 2s). The car is a lease.

Dealer tells me those are the only approved tires for the car and that I need to buy them from the dealer because my car has Active Steering Control and they have to do the alignment. I say "OK, how much?". Dealer says, including alignment, stems, etc, it's $2081 (+ tax I believe). I couldn't believe it. I ask if they can sharpen their pencil a bit since I've been such a good customer over the year (3rd 5 series for me) and he says that is as good as he can do.

So, I call around to my local tire shop (where I've bought lots of tires of the years) and find they can turnkey the entire deal including alignment and tax for $1,500 out the door for the exact same tires.

So my question is whether or not a quality local tire shop can do the alignment even if the car has active steering control. Obviously I'll buy the tires there. Only question is whether or not I'll still need to have the dealer do the alignment. It seems like extortion to me.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Monterey550i' post='822262' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:21 PM

Wow, I suggest you try http://www.tirerack.com and try an independent BMW shop for the alignment. It would help to know your location so that others may chime in with shop suggestions.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

i like how u used the word extortion. +1 on tirerack
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='822271' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:28 PM
Wow, I suggest you try http://www.tirerack.com and try an independent BMW shop for the alignment. It would help to know your location so that others may chime in with shop suggestions.
I bought the rears from tire rack for 332 each and had them mounted locally for $58. if your car has active steering, you really should get it aligned at the dealer because it's not as simple as putting the car on the rack and making sure the wheel is straight. if you don't have active steering you can go wherever you like.

don't buy that BS about contis being the only tires for the car, but if you're only replacing the rears you really should keep the same type as the fronts.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Members

I'm in Monterey, CA. I'm replacing all 4 and the car does have Active Steering Control. Hopefully, I can get it done for less at local shop when I tell him not to do the alignment. I have to take car to dealer a week later for something else so I'll have them do the alignment for $275 (just called to get a price on that).

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Contributors

That price would be HIGH even for RFT's - Is your set up 225/50x17 or do you have 18 or 19 inch wheels. In any case you should check TireRack prices and use them for leverage for a lower price at a local / independent shop. Be certain to check the shop's experience working with BMW/high line wheels - some tire shops will cause you more grief than necessary.

Is the dealer telling to replace tires because they are at the wear bars - some dealers will replace tires when they still have 50% of life available.

As for alignment - 100% go with an experienced BMW dealer.

Just as an FYI, when I had a pothole take out a tire and wheel my dealer was within $25 of the TireRack Price for a Bridgestone RFT 245/40x18. And they charged me $30 to mount and balance - about the going independent rate for a RFT w/TPMS.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='822271' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:28 PM
I take my car elsewhere for an alignment. Last alignment, data sheet readings, specs (from the non-BMW shop) included the info for active steering etc. Never had any issues with the alignment work nor with active steering.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Monterey550i' post='822283' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm in Monterey, CA. I'm replacing all 4 and the car does have Active Steering Control. Hopefully, I can get it done for less at local shop when I tell him not to do the alignment. I have to take car to dealer a week later for something else so I'll have them do the alignment for $275 (just called to get a price on that).

Thanks.
Try another dealer for the Alignment quote as well. I was quoted $199.00 for the 4 wheel alignment on my car (active steering) by East Bay BMW in Pleasanton. I'm having it done next Wednesday.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Contributors

if you have active steering you have to go to the dealer i went to a indy for mine and i now have a active steering malfunction which means i have to go to the dealer and do it again im just going to wait and see if i change my wheels again before i go and do it over =]

Quick Reply: Dealer Extortion on Tires for 08 550i