Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer charging $ for loaners

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

When I had a BMW, they always provided a free loaner, whether it was warranty related or not, and despite the fact that my BMW was four years old and out of warranty. That was nice. If I scheduled far enough in advance, I even could pick which model of loaner I got (Z4, X5, etc.). That was even better.

For my Volvo, however, the Volvo dealer will drive the loaner to my work or home, swap me cars, and then bring back my car and take back the loaner when they are done. That is the best. I never even have to drive to the dealer to get it serviced.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

This has come up several times. The whole issues with the dealerships is rather funny. I've gone to a dealership that charged me for a rental. I would drop of my BMW for service, and drive home in a Ford Taurus. That really got to me, so I just changed dealerships. Now I'm getting a loaner, but I have to replace the gas I put into it. I find that to be a compromise I can deal with. As Rudy said, just change dealerships if it bothers you so. They get paid off your warranty work, so why continue to provide them the revenue?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

hmm interesting, i actually had my car serviced not too long ago...at the time they didnt have a loaner for me..but they ordered taxi's for me to travel around with no extra expense. after i went back 2 the dealer and they told me my car wasnt done servicing, however, they could now provide me with a loaner. the only catch was the tank had to be filled up before returned. i see nwilliams your in the 905/416 area. was wondering which dealer u service at? town&country is mine.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: Ordered 2/6/06: 2007 530xi jet black, auburn, manual, premium, cold weather, nav, sirius, pdc, folding rear seats, sunshades

Originally Posted by Chorethorious' post='375919' date='Jan 9 2007, 05:04 PM
This has come up several times. The whole issues with the dealerships is rather funny. I've gone to a dealership that charged me for a rental. I would drop of my BMW for service, and drive home in a Ford Taurus. That really got to me, so I just changed dealerships. Now I'm getting a loaner, but I have to replace the gas I put into it. I find that to be a compromise I can deal with. As Rudy said, just change dealerships if it bothers you so. They get paid off your warranty work, so why continue to provide them the revenue?

My dealer delivered my new 530xi with a half a tank of gas. They're all cheap.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

I'm guessing it depends on the dealership and how each store is run. Our dealership gives out free BMW loaner cars and once we run out of those we have an onsite Enterprise company that takes care of the customers, charged to us of course.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Torquey5' post='375957' date='Jan 9 2007, 05:42 PM
I'm guessing it depends on the dealership and how each store is run. Our dealership gives out free BMW loaner cars and once we run out of those we have an onsite Enterprise company that takes care of the customers, charged to us of course.
I've said this many many times.Why don't you guys mention your dealers name whether they are good or bad ? My dealer, JMK, gives you loaners if its from there demo stock or there rental company they use, but they are always BMW's at no charge to you.

cheers
vern
Old 01-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by elyk' post='375925' date='Jan 9 2007, 05:14 PM
hmm interesting, i actually had my car serviced not too long ago...at the time they didnt have a loaner for me..but they ordered taxi's for me to travel around with no extra expense. after i went back 2 the dealer and they told me my car wasnt done servicing, however, they could now provide me with a loaner. the only catch was the tank had to be filled up before returned. i see nwilliams your in the 905/416 area. was wondering which dealer u service at? town&country is mine.
It's Budds BMW in Oakville.....I'll call Town & Country and talk to them!!

Thanks for everyones replies!! You guys really confirmed what I believed to be bad business on my dealers part......I'll start by confronting them on Thursday when I bring the car in for a suspension recall.

I found it almost humorous they would want to charge me $15 !!!!! For what ?? I mean...at least make it worth your while and charge me $50

When they told me about the new $15 flat fee rental...they said it like ...hey....we're so nice we're only charging you $15 for a car rental !! lol...that's pathetic!

I really take this as an insult!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Yea, its depends on each dealers policy. In Cali and maybe nationwide, you won't get free loaner car unless it's from the dealer you purchased the car from.

The worst thing is, the dealer I purchased my car from outsourced their loaner car to Enterprise... which means all the cars that are loaned out are Impalas or Focus!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

nwilliams, I forgot to ask -- are they at least using BMW loaners for the $15? I mean for that kind of money, they could be loaning you a Kia or something. (by the way, I keep having to remember that it's like 12.75 in US dollars...)
Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Originally Posted by vern' post='375978
Yea, its depends on each dealers policy. In Cali and maybe nationwide, you won't get free loaner car unless it's from the dealer you purchased the car from.
The worst thing is, the dealer I purchased my car from outsourced their loaner car to Enterprise... which means all the cars that are loaned out are Impalas or Focus!

I know! We get customer complaints which results in a bad CSI because we rent out Corollas haha :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Dealer charging $ for loaners