Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer charging $ for loaners

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer has decided to charge a $15 flat fee for all loaners.

This means if you bring your car in for a waranty repair or recall they will charge you $15 for a rental.

It doesn't seem right to me!!! :thumbsdown:

If I bought a new car and something goes wrong with it (like the vzl module) and it's a BMW related problem. When I bring the car back to the dealer to perform a waranty repair it's costing me time. I have to disrupt my schedule and be inconvenienced to bring the car in for repair on something that I had no part in, on a brand new premium luxury vehicle......why would I have to pay for this on top of it all !!!!! I'm already paying for it by being inconvenienced !!

Obviously, it's not about the $15....it's not a lot of money !! lol ............it's about the principle !!!

I had an Infiniti before my Bimmer and they always provided me with a loaner...no questions....no charge !!!

How could a company like BMW mess around with a charge for loaners!! It really doesn't reflect well on the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' IMO...

What are your opinions?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree it's silly to charge such a minimal amount for the loaner. Keep in mind that it's not "BMW" that's charging it, it's your independent dealer. (My dealer, as well as many others, choose to provide a free loaner during service visits. )

If the principle bothers you that much, see if there's another dealer you can use that will provide you a free loaner. At that point, you can either switch dealers or threaten to switch dealers to see if the current dealer will waive the fee to keep your business...
Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='375756
If the principle bothers you that much, see if there's another dealer you can use that will provide you a free loaner. At that point, you can either switch dealers or threaten to switch dealers to see if the current dealer will waive the fee to keep your business...
I agree....It's just unfortunate they would even think to do something like that....I'm sure if push come to shove they will waive the fee...after all I bought my car/second set of 172m wheels and tires/ipod kit/winter tires and a few other things from them so I would hope they value my business!

BMWNA should maintain consistency between dealers. It looks bad on the BMW brand to charge a ridiculous $15 loaner fee for waranty repairs and they should ensure that all dealers provide free loaners to their customers.

Oh well...I'll have to explain this to the dealer when I drop off my car on Thursday for a recall on my rear suspension!! We'll see what they say!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

I thought BMW reimburses the dealership for loan cars on a warranty/recall repair. I think I read that in a recall notice.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

my dealer recently changed his policy. Requests that loaners be returned washed and filled up. <_<
Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

Wow, you must have a really petty dealer. Why not try to go to another dealer to do your stuff?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Did you buy a Hyndai or Daewoo? Are you sure you bought a BMW?

Perhaps the dealer should be reminded that they are selling a Luxury car.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

haha, yep ! ..oh..the other dealers charge like 70euros /day for a "loaner" considering - I'll stick with mine !

Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

For warranty work a charge of any kind is wholly inappropriate. For scheduled maintenance, you could make an reasonable argument that there is a case for a nominal charge. That said, any dealer who considers $15 to be worth more than the risk of upsetting a customer probably isn't likely to be one where I would consider placing the order for my next car. Mine never charges for loaners, if there are no loaners (which can happen with unplanned warranty work) they will give you a rental which is fully covered, and the rental co has cars and a service desk on site at the dealer.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

BMW has to pay for the loaner if it is a warranty visit.

Quick Reply: Dealer charging $ for loaners