Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

CPO ending soon what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a serious concern as my CPO warranty is coming to an end in the beginning of April. I love my car, however the CPO has saved me about 15k in repairs at least. I have had so many things replaced that I know just about everything is under the hood excluding the engine as well as steering wheel and airbag as is new. I am looking for a warranty that I can purchase in order to continue ownership because I know this car loves mechanics. I currently have 84k and its a 2004. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Create your own CPO.

Set aside $1,000 per year for repairs and leave that fund alone. When the time comes for a big repair you'll have the cash on hand. Do preventative maintenance on the car, don't beat on it, and you'll be fine. The problem with extended warranties is they suck ass. They are very restrictive, expensive, and sometimes don't pay off because it only covers you for a certain number of miles. I opted to get one but it was nearly $4500 for the coverage I wanted. I'm sorry, but I would much rather take my chances with repair work considering I have a good indy mechanic and I can get parts from Garry for 25% off what the stealer charges.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Sell it and get a new car.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

I am in the same boat as Gordast, as my 04 with 70k miles will lose warranty at the end of June. My repairs also amount to at least that much, including a new steering wheel. I would like to find a warranty because I know the resale on this car will be awful. A good indy mechanic worked well in the case of an old mercedes, but that didn't have anywhere near the electronics these cars do. But if that is what everybody is doing, then it must not be that bad.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Members

Setting $1000 a year is fine, however most any repair on this car is more then that. I agree with finding a mechanic, but the piece of mind of an extended warranty even if all it covers is the transmission would be nice. A mechanic will definitely charge less in labor but the parts are expensive. What warranties for our cars are available after CPO for a reasonable price?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Create your own CPO.

Set aside $1,000 per year for repairs and leave that fund alone.
It is more likel $1,000 per month so a new car would make much more sense.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributors

After this thread I decided to do some research. I contacted a company called Mogi. They are kind of like 1-800-DENTIST. They don't clean your teeth but they forward you to a good guy who will. They set me up with a company called Goldkey Protection. Been around 32 years, A+ with the BBB, and they're at www.goldkeywarranty.com. The snapshot of the quote is below. Seems like a damn good deal actually....... 3 grand for another 100,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first.

Let me know what you guys think? I might just do this asap!

CPO ending soon what to do?-mogi.jpg
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howitzer
After this thread I decided to do some research. I contacted a company called Mogi. They are kind of like 1-800-DENTIST. They don't clean your teeth but they forward you to a good guy who will. They set me up with a company called Goldkey Protection. Been around 32 years, A+ with the BBB, and they're at www.goldkeywarranty.com. The snapshot of the quote is below. Seems like a damn good deal actually....... 3 grand for another 100,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first.

Let me know what you guys think? I might just do this asap!

Attachment 98040
When I read the contract, the mileage begins at zero, so coverage would stop at 100,000 miles on the odometer. I looked at the platinum contract. The "preowned diamond" does add to the mileage on the odo - as much as 60K miles. I don't see a "silver" policy on the goldkey site.

I've not heard of the company either. I did google mogi and there were a lot of hits with consumer complaints.

I've heard good things about EasyCare and Zurich - you might try them.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

Sounds like your car is having a lot of problems. I'd sell it if I were you. I had a 2005 CPO with 80,000 miles and I haven't used a CPO warranty even once.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Contributors

mogi is a rip off and very restrictive

they have a lot of consumer complaints about not paying out for repairs

Quick Reply: CPO ending soon what to do?