Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Considering a 530d Auto????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 07:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='226386' date='Jan 19 2006, 02:08 PM
...There are NO gears that touch each other in the auto tranny. You heard something else.
What could it be then?

I am getting worried...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Interesting about your pal working on Jaguar Transmissions, because BMW actually told me that the same transmission is in the Jaguar S that is in the E60. Allegedly they come from the same supplier and factory.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i MSport Auto, June 05, Silver, Black dakota leather, Hi-fi, Media package, Electric folding mirrors, Maple wood

Have been reading this with some concern...I've pre-ordered a 530d Touring Sport demonstrator to my own spec (with a list price of over ?48k) and will get it in June. A characteristic such as this would drive me NUTS and given the potential safety aspects, I think it's unacceptable. Right now, I'm seriously concerned...to whom/which department did you speak to at BMW UK, and what was their response? I need to decide PDQ whether to cancel the order as the car is about to be built, and buy the Discovery my wife really really wants...

Await your comments with interest.

Nick
Old 01-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Oldnickers' post='227058' date='Jan 20 2006, 07:41 PM
Have been reading this with some concern...I've pre-ordered a 530d Touring Sport demonstrator to my own spec (with a list price of over ?48k) and will get it in June. A characteristic such as this would drive me NUTS and given the potential safety aspects, I think it's unacceptable. Right now, I'm seriously concerned...to whom/which department did you speak to at BMW UK, and what was their response? I need to decide PDQ whether to cancel the order as the car is about to be built, and buy the Discovery my wife really really wants...

Await your comments with interest.

Nick
With respect, it's scaremongering by a disgruntled customer. He may well have a legitimate concern with his car, but don't think that all steptronics behave this way, the vast majority are just fine.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Sorry my fellow forum members, but I have to say that these problems are my reason to have manual box. Electronics has not yet finally won battle against human. I have never liked auto tranny because they don?t do what I LIKE and they are slow to act when I change my mind.

Skaffa
Old 01-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skaffa' post='227071' date='Jan 20 2006, 08:40 PM
Sorry my fellow forum members, but I have to say that these problems are my reason to have manual box. Electronics has not yet finally won battle against human. I have never liked auto tranny because they don?t do what I LIKE and they are slow to act when I change my mind.

Skaffa
Heh heh, you make it sound like automatic transmission was developed 9 months ago by some mad scientists, and we are some crazy early adopters.

THE AUTO IS FINE.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by browellm' post='227076

Skaffa
Heh heh, you make it sound like automatic transmission was developed 9 months ago by some mad scientists, and we are some crazy early adopters.

THE AUTO IS FINE.
[/quote]

I believe that statement when some one give me auto box what works even close like 2-sp powerglide from stone age or not to mention hand&foot coordinated way to change gear.

But this is like when You compare apples to oranges or fish to meat! I don?t eat fish!

Skaffa
Old 01-20-2006, 01:25 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='226141' date='Jan 18 2006, 11:23 PM
After 7 months of fighting and writting letters to BMW they finally "Offered me a deal to change into a new E60". I picked the new car up two weeks ago and I have to say it is a dream to drive and does not share the characteristics of the previous car at all.
Interesting, My E61 went to the stealers for the 2nd time today, it had a software upgrade 3 months ago, but I still get transmission slam intermittently. The Technician could find no fault, so I took the service manager out in the car and managed to get it to occur twice.
He tried to suggest that he had felt a similar response on a couple of other cars and was a 'feature' of the car.
No way was I having that. he is sending a PUMA to BMW and expects that the Regional technical manager will want to be taken in the car to get a view.

I will have to wait and see, though I am not optimistic that i will end up with as good a result as you.
Any tips on pushing the matter would be welcome.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Auto, Carbon Black, Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. iPod

I think the transmission is fundamentally sound but the software calibration is all wrong. I know a guy at Jaguar who calibrates the same unit in the S-Type, XJ and XK models.
To some the slam is acceptable but it seems it doesn't only drive me nuts.
I spoke to a guy called Nick Sharman who is the Corporate Customer Care Manager. All I could get was "the car is performing to manufacturer's specifications". So if you think that this may annoy you think twice before you buy one as there is no redress for you at all other than live with it.
Hence the title of my discussion topic.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

it is very sad that due to a $ucking BMW dealers and technicias people get upset with BMW cars..... like you did.....
I can understand your feeling.... I'm very disapointed with some BMW delaers as well.... but trust me this is the same with any car brand...... one must differentiate BMW cars from "BMW staff"........

Quick Reply: Considering a 530d Auto????