Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Collected my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after a three month wait I finally picked up my 530d SE on Friday and what can I say .... WOW! What a superb car. It is Sapphire black metallic with auburn Dakota leather, dark titanium trim and style 124 18" alloys. It looks fantastic and has caused a lot of people to have a double take as I drive past them.

The options I took include business navigation and bluetooth. Both of these items are superb. I had reservations about the arrow only display on the business nav but now that I've used it I think it is probably better than a full map view which is more distracting. The system alerts you to required actions (e.g. turns) well in advance of when you have to make them.

The diesel engine is superb - you people in the US don't know what you're missing. The torque on this engine is astonishing which makes real world overtaking a breeze. The engine is very refined and cannot be heard from inside the car.

I didn't bother with active steering or dynamic drive as I felt they were too expensive. Instead I went for sports seats, sports suspension and sports steering wheel to make my car as close to the old UK sport spec as poosible. The handling is extremely good and I much prefer the standard steering to the active option which I tested on a demo car.

All in all I am extremely pleased with my choice and believe that this car is going to grow and grow on people. It was featured on test on TV here last night on Top Gear and was given a good review. I have read a whole load of negative views on the both styling and build quality on the E60 over on roadfly.com but have to say that I disagree with it. This is a fresh and innovative design that really does look much better in the metal than it does in photographs. I was sceptical about the I-drive system but it really is extremely simple to operate and can use two programmable buttons on the steering wheel to control your favourite options.

All in all a big thumbs up!
Old 10-27-2003, 03:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 27 2003, 03:39 AM
The diesel engine is superb - you people in the US don't know what you're missing. The torque on this engine is astonishing which makes real world overtaking a breeze. The engine is very refined and cannot be heard from inside the car.
Congratulations on your new car!! Re: diesel engine - my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:09 AM
Members

Hey ISUK

Big Congrats on the new E60. You just gotta post some pics because I really want to see Black with the aburn interior. Break her in slowly. Are you posting on Roadfly as Ragdude?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:32 AM
Members

ISUK,

Congratulations on your car. I have gone through a similar process to you, and also discounted the dynamic drive as expensive, and the active steering, as trying to overcome a problem that isn't there. I have arrived at the same engine, wheel choice, and also sports suspension and the sports steering wheel. I also have ordered bluetooth. Which phone do you have and have you got a snapin adapter yet ?.
I agonised over the sports seats, but went for the comfort in the end, as they seemed to have nearly as good lateral support but more adjustments, but none of my local dealers had cars with either, so it had to be guess work.

With the type 124 wheels and the sports suspension, how good is the ride ?, also is the sports chunky and thick rimmed ?

Hope you get a chance to post some pics

I agree, the more you look at the new 5, the more ot grows on you, and in 12 months time everyone will love it. I thought the new Megane was a joke when I first clapped eyes on it, but now I just think it makes everything else in its class look old and boring, it will be just the same with the 5.

Good, choice and best of luck
Old 10-27-2003, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Reckamech,

Yeah, that's me on Roadfly. I was getting sick and tired of hearing negative views on the E60 over there and thought I'd vent off a little. I really believe that this car makes all other exec cars seem old and boring and I'm just tired of those people who can't accept that the E39 has had it's day. I will take some pics later this week and then try to figure out how to post them. The black/auburn combo is outstanding. Just don't order it if your in the UK as I would like mine to be exclusive for a while

E60_530D,

The sports suspension and 18" wheels give a comfortable ride. I have quite a few passengers in the last couple of days and they've all remarked on how comfortable the car is. The sports steering wheel is great - just the right thickness - and finishes of the interior much better than the standard wheel IMHO. I have a Nokia 6310i mobile but there is no snap fit connector available as yet. I was in Holland last week and went to a Dutch dealer to see if I could get a connector there. They told me that BMW AG do not have the part available as yet but that a dealer in the Hague has found a way of converting the E39 connector to fit the E60. I borrowed an E39 connector from my dealer but the conversion looks way too complex so I am waiting for the correct part. In the meantime the phone works perfectly - it just doesn't charge in the car.

Good spec choice on your car - you won't be dissappointed. The acceleration is astonishing.

BTW has anyone else got the bi-xenon headlights? The light throw on full beam is amazing.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:03 AM
Members

ISUK - I sincerely do hope that people really would understand that Black/Auburn is an awful color combo [;-)] and yes, the bi-xenons are great!
Old 10-27-2003, 05:28 AM
Members

ISUK,

Thanks for the feedback, is your car a manual transmission ?

I drive a E46 330ci Manual at the moment and I could only try the 530D in auto guise and found the auto didnt allow me to compare performance. Is the performance really good, do you have to change gear a lot when overtaking ?, can you compare it to previous BMW's you have driven.

You mention the Bi-Xenon's, I have never had these before but have ordered them, are they much better on dip beam as well, did you go for the adaptive ones ?, if so do they really make a difference ?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

E60_530D

My car has the steptronic auto - I wouldn't have a manual box in this type of car as it will kill the resale value. The real world important performance is the 50 - 70 MPH overtaking speed and it is here that the torque of the diesel really shines. It justs sprints away effortlessly from slower traffic with no fuss or dramatics. Just give the indicator a quick flick for three flashes, dip your right toe very slightly, pull out and rocket past the vehicle your are overtaking. It's so easy it's almost insane.

I am trying to run the car in sensibly and so haven't yet floored the throttle to induce kick down in the box yet still the car surges away when you want it to. If it's like this on part throttle I can't wait to see what it's going to be like after the run in period.

As to comparing it with other BMW's I have recently had a 3.0i X5 which was very quick but a heavier car and before that a 323Ci which was also quick but the 3.0d would eat it for breakfast I 'm sure. I currently own a 3.0 Z4 as well and the performance of the petrol is a good deal more frantic than the diesel. The main difference you will find is that where you need high revs in the petrol to get the maximum performance, the diesel is just one long surge of torque from low revs. They should put this engine in the Z4. It's already in the E46 coupe in Europe and is reckoned to be the best car in the coupe line up other than the M3.

The bi-xenons are superb. Once you've had this technology you won't want to go back to regular headlights. I have them in my last four cars and if you do a reasonable amount of commuting in the UK winter they are a godsend. The spread of light on dipped beam was always great on xenons but the latest technology allows it to work on main beam as well. You won't believe how brightly they light up the road ahead. The only downside is that they tend to cause glare from reflective roadsigns but you quickly adjust to this.

Have you opted for the auto or manual?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:28 AM
Members

ISUK,

I have ordered a manual (brave or stupid, can't get on with autos) I checked out the resale of manual E39 Diesels, and they don't seem to be any less than the Auto counterparts (allowing for the increased purchase price), although I admit they are very rare !!. Oh well it's only money.

You didn't say whether you had the adaptive headlamps or not ?

How long ago did you order your car ?, and where from, I am expecting mine in the next month, I know its built (10/10/03), but have little idea how long they actually take to filter through to the dealer.

Do you get much road noise from the massive tarmac munchers on the back ?

Did you order any other extras?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:43 AM
Members

Talking

Congrats on the new motor, I have had mine since the UK launch on Sept 18th and I am still highly delighted with the diesel. If you have not seen my post under problems encountered then you may find that the change down from 2nd gear to first is as BMW GB put it "rough". This is only noticeable as you bring the car to a standstill and the auto box makes its final change down. BMW are working on a software fix which they have promised by December.

Re timing from build to delivery my 530d was built in the first week of September and delivered to me on the 18th, my dealer did put some pressure on Thorne to get the PDI done. The car was still at the GB distribution centre on the morning of the 18th and delivered to me via my dealer by 3.00pm the same day!! Cars built after Sept 1st also have door handles matching interior trim... poplar/ maple etc.

Happy motoring

Quick Reply: Collected my car