Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Collected my 530D

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, ZeZe, I don't have the file attachments facility enabled, so I can't upload the images.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:33 AM
E220Cdi

Hi,

Congratulations on ur new E60.

I was saw one drive past me today in Silver and it looked quite nice. I recently bought the New E Class. Prior to that i test drove the 520i the 530dSE, the E270/320cdi. I must say the handling and steering on the E60 was in a different class. I went for the E Class cos of its looks and comfort ride and since my partner liked the styling and the kids just loved it. I must say it has been a good choice but I think it does feel like a big car whereas the new 5 felt so easy to drive fast and corner at fast speeds. I guess I've always driven smaller cars and the MERC surely feels bulkier and needs to be driven differently. It just makes me feel older nad behave on the roads which can be a good thing but start to become sporty and the car just doesn't respond. Diesels are good but run out of 000mph...not like the high revving Honda Type R i used to drive.

I think my next buy may be the X5 with the new 3.0d engine.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:55 AM
Members

Update

I have now done 1500 Miles, and I like the car more and more. I can now use the performance, and I can honestly say this feels a very quick car, but in a different way to petrol performance. The speedo says quick, the shove in your back says quick, but the engine says, very little, it never sounds pressed. I think the engine actually gets quieter as the revs rise. I guess diesels take some getting used to. I find myself having to resist downchanging to overtake, the car just goes from stupidly slow speeds, in high gears. The car has averaged 42mpg, and on an 80mph motorway run (on cruise), it retuned an astonishing 47mpg. I have only filled up twice (it was full when I collcted it). It does about 600 miles on a tankfull.

Handling is very good, its very stable even on small B roads, although I can definitely say the 18in/runflat setup compromises ride quality at slow speeds, not terribly, but enough for you to notice. The car hides its size and weight , you never feel you are driving a large heavy car, nimble is the phrase that comes to mind.

Problems ?, none really, a slight quip about the drivers wiper/washer setup, which just means you need to get a bit more water on your screen to clear its whole range, but nothing too serious. The auto-switching headlamps are also a bit eager.

Can't wait to do more miles in it. I see journalists are now starting to like the styling !!, which can only be good for ultimate resale values.

Well done BMW !!, extremely adventurous, but ultimately a well thought out car.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:20 AM
e220cdi

I can see where ur coming from with regards to the "getting used to diesels thing"

I upgraded from a I-VTEC 2.0 Honda engine which could be revved to the redline and u still get increase in power and speed...like a linear relationship....more revs...equals more speed. I do find that in the diesels i tested the car gives you a great shove in the back as though your about to take off on two back wheels..a motorbike effect...this lasts for several seconds...and then although the engine is roaring away(this might not happen in higher engines like 320CDi) the increase in speed is not very linear.....in fact the increase is now proportionally to the momentum u've created and any further touches on the throttle just add to that.

This is very new to me....at junctions I can quickly shoot out to find that gap....but when I'm in the lane trying to accelerate is not as easy as a petrol...since the car looses OOOOmph at increased engine speeds. It does feel like a bigger car than what i used to drive. The 520/530D even though tested for a short time felt smaller....maybe thats how all MBs feel.

I personally think the styling of the new 5 is OK and will be a hit with all BMW drivers soon..when the rest of the range takes design cues from it.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60_530D' date='Nov 10 2003, 02:06 AM
I took delivery at last of my UK 530D on Saturday.

Mystic Blue,
Grey Dakota
Comfort Seats
Advanced Air-Con
Bluetooth
Sport Suspension
Type 124 Wheels
Logic 7
Sport Steering Wheel
Adaptive Headlights

Here are a few of my observations.

The door handles were also in poplar, but the inserts on the steering wheel and the gear lever were still Titanium. Most people who have seen the car, have enthused about the look and feel of the interior, and all were impressed with the quality. The contrast of poplar against the grey with the darker upper surfaces makes the interior feel more upmarket IMHO.

The sport suspension, feels much more in touch with the road than the standard suspension cars I test drove, although it will be too hard and fidgety for those less enthusiastic drivers. This is more pronounced until the tyres warm up.

The car has returned more than 43mpg over the first 400 steady miles I have driven. This was on a mixture of roads and traffic.

The Bluetooth is brilliant, (but get your dealer to set it up, it didn't follow the instructions and had to have the ob-board system reset) if you are in the UK and waiting for the new law on mobiles, this is a must have. It looks an expensive option, but it is very clever and makes phone use on the move a breeze. The voice dialling has been 100% accurate, and the integration into the car perfect. The phone book transfers in a matter of seconds, and then all calling can be done from the wheel. Just waiting for the snap-in adapter.

Logic 7, is just about as good as I have heard in a car, I have spent thousands in the past on ICE, but none has ever sounded quite so complete as this system. If good sound is what you are looking for then its a good option. If its bells and whistles then you may be dissapointed, you get two spatial effects and an equaliser.

I-Drive is not that intuitive, but not that difficult to master either, and virtually all functions are available in the normal way anyway. In general I appreciate I-Drive as it allows you more control over your car which you would never have had before, without adding mountains of buttons to the car for options which can often be set and forgotten about.

Comfort seats don't look as good as sports seats, but are extremely adjustable, and I have rarely felt so comfortable in any chair. With so many adjustments it takes a long time to get them as you would like, but once you are there the results are impressive.

Most people who have seen the car for the first time, say it looks really nice, with some reservations about the high shoulder line, but the word ugly didn't come out once. The car does look very solid though, and you feel very secure in it. Its not the prettiest car in the world, but with the shapes 6-7 year life span, you would expect it to be at its most palletable 2-3 years in, otherwise it will look very dated. We passed an E-Class, and although prettier it looked very dated and rather anonymous. I would worry what it wil look like in a couple of years time.

I will do a few more miles before posting anything about driving dynamics.

Very happy with the car though.
Apologies for my ignorance but is Logic 7 the same as the "Professional Hi-Fi" system listed in the optional extras and how much did you pay?

I've heard loads of bad press about BMW's Harmon Kardon system and as a real Hi-Fi buff I cannot bear the thin/tinny and grating at volume sound of the standard BMW CD system. Sounds like this one may be worth the money though...
Old 01-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Members

I totally agree with all the comments on fuel economy. I changed from an Audi 2.7T (petrol twin turbo) to the 530d! Minimal loss in usable performance for astonishing frugality in fuel consumption. By the time the tank is empty, it will be time to change the car again ;-) Eat your hearts out, petrol-heads....
Old 01-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jonboy' date='Jan 12 2004, 03:27 PM
Apologies for my ignorance but is Logic 7 the same as the "Professional Hi-Fi" system listed in the optional extras and how much did you pay?

I've heard loads of bad press about BMW's Harmon Kardon system and as a real Hi-Fi buff I cannot bear the thin/tinny and grating at volume sound of the standard BMW CD system. Sounds like this one may be worth the money though...
Logic 7 is not the professional Hi-Fi. Logic 7 is the top level option in the uk, and can be taken with the business or professional head units. It has a very luxurious deep bass sound which is adjustable via the integrated/idrive based equaliser. It has a new type of spatializer similar to pro-logic, and has a large number of speakers, but importantly two large subwoofers under the front seats. I am not sure what country you are in, but in the UK, I think logic 7 is around ?850, which is not a bargain, but if Hi-Fi is your thing, then it does save your finely tuned ears from the torture of the standard setup.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

Congrats on your new great car and the nice review!

I?m taking delivery of my car next week ( 545iA ).

Will get back with impressions when I?ve driven it some miles.