Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Class Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like everyone has some sort of complain with the quality of BMW workmanship, i.e. door seals, transmission lag, windows won't close, doors come open middle of driving...etc. We have to take time out of our busy life to take care these issues with a brand new cars that we spent over 50-100K on it and not to mention the heartache that goes with this problems.

Sometimes the issue(s) get resolved by the dealer without a fight and sometimes you have to fight all the way to the top (BMWNA), and even then they'll tell you sue me if you want to resolve the problem!!!!!

Since we do live in a land of the lawyers, I am very surprise that no one has filed a classaction lawsuit against the BMW or any other car mfg for that matter.

I am sure we have couple of lawyers on this forum who can shed light in this matter.

Would it be easy to file a this type of claim or there are certain laws that protect the car mfg from these types of defects in their car....
Old 08-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

I agree that the annoying things with the car take up precious time in trips to the dealer.

Law suit worthy I don't think so.

I ended up trading my 545i for a Japanese car because my time was more important than the pleasure of driving a BMW.

The fortunate ones can afford this car but the outright blessed ones have the time to drive it to the dealer.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Members

I have no interest in your ridiculous suggestion. While many on this board have apparently endured a similar series problems with their E60, compared to the E39 which many considered a fairly reliable car, warranty claims on the E60 by comparison are much lower.

Don?t asked BMW, asked their dealer service managers who have seen warranty service income drop.

I know what a woody you must be getting talking about a ?class action lawsuit?. Maybe you think you?re the guy that will get the 10% fee for organizing the suit. Zip it up.

Don?t get too excited. Your president has signed the Class-Action Lawsuit Reform of 2005 Into Law. Lawsuits like this will never see the light of day again.

Good Night
Old 08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributors

I have no interest in lining lawyers pockets over privilous class action cases. The only one that pay is the consumer in the form of high costs/prices. Frankly, attainment of the perfect product is not likely to come from imperfect humans using mass production processes (even if you pay $65K). Our only hope is that we are the lucky ones and if not, our warranties afford us the appropriate protection. If the car does not live up to that then consumers revolt with their pocket books in a free market . I'd keep the lawyers out of it.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

class action lawsuit......screen name = "jakethesnake"

coincidence, I think not...

be glad you even have a warranty!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

I agree a "Class action lawsuit" is a bit much. That being said....this is supposed to be an open forum. Take it easy on people. We have all said some dumb stuff and different times.

Perfection will NEVER be attained in any car. I can assure you that if you had a legitimate safety issue or something terrible they (BMW) would be all over it.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by jakethesnake' date='Aug 9 2005, 04:54 PM
It seems like everyone has some sort of complain with the quality of BMW workmanship, i.e. door seals, transmission lag, windows won't close, doors come open middle of driving...etc.?
Actually most people by far and away have NOT had any of these problems. Don't interpret multiple complaints on the internet as a representative experience of the average owner.

And I, for one, could not be happier that GWB's anti-shakedown class-action lawsuit reforms were passed.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Xenon, Sport, Premium, Automatic, Logic 7, Orient Blue & Auburn Dakota Leather with Dark Poplar Wood Trim

Class Action Lawsuit = Yawn !
Old 08-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jakethesnake' date='Aug 9 2005, 04:54 PM
It seems like everyone has some sort of complain with the quality of BMW workmanship, i.e. door seals, transmission lag, windows won't close, doors come open middle of driving...etc.? We have to take time out of our busy life to take care these issues with a brand new cars that we spent over 50-100K on it and not to mention the heartache that goes with this problems.?

Sometimes the issue(s) get resolved by the dealer without a fight and sometimes you have to fight all the way to the top (BMWNA), and even then they'll tell you sue me if you want to resolve the problem!!!!!

Since we do live in a land of the lawyers, I am very surprise that no one has filed a classaction lawsuit against the BMW or any other car mfg for that matter.?

I am sure we have couple of lawyers on this forum who can shed light in this matter.

Would it be easy to file a this type of claim or there are certain laws that protect the car mfg from these types of defects in their car....
[snapback]157668[/snapback]
Class action lawsuit won't work in the circumstance you describe (i.e., "It seems like everyone has some sort of complain with the quality of BMW workmanship, i.e. door seals, transmission lag, windows won't close, doors come open middle of driving...etc.").

This is because you are not claiming a singular (or similar) problem. You lack commonality of claims for a class to be certified under Rule 23 of the FRCP (and most state law equivalents).

Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

Originally Posted by ledbettm' date='Aug 9 2005, 10:16 PM
I agree a "Class action lawsuit" is a bit much. That being said....this is supposed to be an open forum. Take it easy on people. We have all said some dumb stuff and different times.

Perfection will NEVER be attained in any car. I can assure you that if you had a legitimate safety issue or something terrible they (BMW) would be all over it.
[snapback]157703[/snapback]
F--- that! It's idiots like this that are screwing up the country + driving up prices of everything. The only ones that make out are with class action lawsuits are the G.D. lawyers.

Quick Reply: Class Action Lawsuit