Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Charge for a loaner car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I dropped my car off today for a warranty issue and my dealer is now charging $15.00 for a loaner car.

I know loaner cars for some product lines do not exist, but for an upper end car line like this, I figured it was a nice perk.

I guess the $15.00 is not a big deal as I will be using about $10.00 of it in gas, but it just seems a bit cheezy.

Anybody else run into this?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

The dealership I'm using now, makes you sign a contract stating that you will not smoke in the car ($100 penalty fee if you do if I remember correctly) and that you will fill up the tank to the level the car was when given (Otherwise they will charge for the gas at $5 per gallon or something like that if I remember correctly). I think it is a fair deal, cheap would be not to fill up the gas tank when returning or filling up the gas tank with 89 octane gas.... Please don't do that!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:49 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Becoming common in UK, unless it is a warranty issue and you make a fuss.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

My dealership gives you no charge loaners but do not guarantee that they will be a BMW. I believe the non-BMW loaners are through Enterprise but are no charge as well.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' post='385864' date='Jan 31 2007, 12:19 PM
I dropped my car off today for a warranty issue and my dealer is now charging $15.00 for a loaner car.

I know loaner cars for some product lines do not exist, but for an upper end car line like this, I figured it was a nice perk.

I guess the $15.00 is not a big deal as I will be using about $10.00 of it in gas, but it just seems a bit cheezy.

Yup...I just had this problem not too long ago but made quite a fuss about it at the dealer.

You should NOT be paying a single dollar for waranty repair loaners when you bring your car in....BMW dealers get paid by BMW North America to provide the client with a loaner!

Furthermore....$15....are you kidding me! You bought a BMW....why the heck would they charge you a measly $15...that's really cheezy.

Check out this thread I started about the same issue:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=35317&st=0
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills

This seems a little outragous seeing how much we pay for the cars and then to charge us to get a rental. That was one of the first things that I asked the dealer here in germany, then I went as far to as to call the local dealer where I am going to move to in Columbia S.C and Atl. So I checked wtih them about rental and they told me that when you schedule an appointment let them know that you will need one and they will make sure that youhave one waiting. So I think its a case by case dealership.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

For warranty repairs, I think you should go one further and, if you lease your car, demand that they refund part of your lease for the two days that you can't use the car. With a lease, you essentially are "renting" the car. If there is a problem covered by warranty that interferes with your ability to drive your car that you pay $20/day to drive, then not only should they not charge you for a loaner, but they should pay YOU $20/day. Try to get that out of a car manufacturer.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by jsal' post='385864' date='Jan 31 2007, 09:19 AM

Something if fishy here. You should report this to BMW, my SA told me if it's a warranty work. BMW is paying for the loaner, not your dealer, they shouldn't make money on top of that.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

my dealer doesnt loan bimmers anymore.. just enterprise rental cars. i just asked about that today due to having a nail on the inside sidewall of the front right tire. and yes if it's warranty work being done the loaner / rental should be covered by them.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='386114' date='Jan 31 2007, 06:37 PM
my dealer doesnt loan bimmers anymore.. just enterprise rental cars. i just asked about that today due to having a nail on the inside sidewall of the front right tire. and yes if it's warranty work being done the loaner / rental should be covered by them.
do you go to Long Beach BMW? i went there recently and they lended me an 06 325i. my goal is to test drive all of Enterprise cars . one time they gave me a Nissan Murano with 0 miles on it .

for my next check up: 328i hopefully

Quick Reply: Charge for a loaner car?