Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

CARCHEX Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.
Unhappy

I was researching some options for extended warranty and came accross CARCHEX, I had a brief chat with an online agent and got a quote for their best warranty coverage on my 04 530i(67000miles). The agent guaranteed that this is the best coverage i can recieve nationwide which is provided by Alpha Warranty Services and it covers everything bumper to bumper. He gave me two options from the same company:

1) 84months/125,000 miles - $2,892.00
2) 48months/100,000 miles - $2,429.00

He said that the company is one of the best companies out there for warranty services, its rated A on BBB and the warranty comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, its transferrable and can be used directly at the BMW dealership. This is an exclusionary warranty and heres a list of items it does not cover:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
1.ANY REPAIRS DONE WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION BY ADMINISTRATOR.
2. If a failure occurs on a covered part within the first 30 days and 1,000 miles, the failure will be determined pre-existing condition.
3.Any loss when the Vehicle?s odometer has been tampered with, altered, allowed to remain nonfunctional, disconnected or broken.
4.Incidental or consequential damages or loss caused by a breakdown of components (or otherwise) including property damage, personal injury, inconvenience, and loss of Vehicle use. Punitive damages are also expressly excluded.
5.Repairs covered by the manufacturer warranty on the covered Vehicle, manufacturer recalls, and factory service bulletins. Any warranty on parts and/or labor from any party other than the Administrator supersedes this Contract. If the Vehicle or specific components on the Vehicle have a warranty, You are responsible for seeking coverage from the entity that provides the warranty. You are then subject to the terms and conditions of that warranty. The Administrator has no liability for that repair or any costs or inconvenience associated with that repair.
6.Repairs required because of collision, abuse, operation without proper lubrication or coolant, road conditions, misuse, negligence, exposure, alterations, lift-kits, oversize tires, racing, accidents, fires, floods, riots, acts of vandalism, theft, or terrorism. Any other losses normally covered by causality insurance.
7.Repairs required due to lack of proper and responsible maintenance, abuse through improper towing, and abuse through continued operation of an impaired Vehicle that shows signs of a clear mechanical problem. Any repair required due to normal wear and tear.
8.Repairs required due to overheating, regardless of the cause of overheating, or repairs required due to loss of fluids, regardless of the cause of the loss of fluids. These include, but are not limited to, loss of engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, freon, power steering fluid, or axle grease.
9.Repairs to be covered components that are performing the function for which they were designed.
10.Any repair to valves or worn piston rings where the malfunction is low compression and/or oil consumption.
11.No coverage will be granted under this contract for any damage caused by failure to maintain the Vehicle to the standards of the manufacturer. This includes, but is not limited to, failures resulting from aftermarket modifications. Examples include, but are not limited to, suspension lift kits, superchargers, nitrous oxide kits, GPS systems, lighting accessories, and stereo systems.
12.No coverage will be granted to Vehicles that are used for commercial, rental, or delivery purposes.
13.Manual transmission claims will not be covered if, at the time of failure, the clutch components are worn to the extent that replacement is required.
14.Pre-existing conditions are not covered by this service contract.
15.Tires, battery, all glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, brake rotors and drums, shock absorbers, exhaust components, catalytic converter, charcoal canisters, door handle assemblies, speakers, telephones, televisions, AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding three hundred dollars ($300) repair or replacement costs, GPS/Navigation systems exceeding three hundred dollars ($300) repair or replacement costs, combination GPS/navigation & radio units exceeding three hundred dollars ($300) repair or replacement costs, DVD players, game centers, audio/video equipment, radar detectors, touch screens and/or voice activated accessories, voice recognition systems, safety restraint systems to include airbags and related components, fusable links and fuses, circuit boards, head light assemblies, tail light assemblies, shop supplies, hazardous waste charges, bolts, screws, nuts, washers.
16.Any parts replacement or service which is considered normal maintenance by the manufacturer including but not limited to: tune-ups, carburetor adjustments, oil changes, chassis lubrication, engine adjustments, fuel system cleaning, repairs related to fuel or oil contamination, spark plugs and wires, front end alignments including adjustments/alignments to Covered Repairs, wheel balancing, positive crankcase ventilation valves, filters, belts, hoses, constant velocity and double offset joint seals and/or boots, brake linings or pads, manual clutch assemblies, friction disc, throwout bearings, pressure plate, manual hydraulic linkages, the following emission components: purge sensors/solenoids/valves, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck.
17.Imperfection in paint, trim or other appearance items, squeaks, rattles, wind noises, water leaks, body, door and glass alignment, weather strips, trim moldings, bright metal, chrome, upholstery, carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, sheet metal, vinyl and convertible tops and assemblies, tires, rims, and door hinge assemblies.

I have attached a copy of the actual contract.Please let me know your thoughts, my extended warranty will be over in Jun 2010 and I am wondering if i should buy an extended warranty or just buy another used car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AWS_Full_2008.pdf (125.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525XI | Cold Weather Package | Premium Package No Mods Yet

In the contract it says:

"The labor required to repair or replace all parts covered under this service contract shall be as defined in the ALLDATA or Mitchell software. Administrator will also cover up to one hour of diagnostic charges (up to sixty five dollars ($65)) per approved claim."

You mentioned that they would cover service for an actual BMW Dealer. I thought BMW dealers charged $150 per hour.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Members

You need to specifically ask them about the I Drive. Sounds like it isn't covered. Looks to me like there are lots of holes in the coverage, i.e. 10. Any repair to valves or worn piston rings where the malfunction is low compression and/or oil consumption. Doesn't that pretty much exclude major engine damage/repair?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.

I did mention that the warranty has some loop holes but he said " this is the max coverage you can get nation wide" I was wondering if there are any good extended warranties out there since most have them some sort of loop holes!

Can someone suggest a good extended warranty that they are currently using or have used in the past.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MIK_82' post='1037734' date='Oct 21 2009, 07:52 PM
I did mention that the warranty has some loop holes but he said " this is the max coverage you can get nation wide" I was wondering if there are any good extended warranties out there since most have them some sort of loop holes!

Can someone suggest a good extended warranty that they are currently using or have used in the past.
Try these guys. The AMG board members seem to like them a lot

http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/
Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='1037826' date='Oct 21 2009, 10:34 PM

Thanks, i'll check them out...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sholaesq' post='1037826' date='Oct 21 2009, 10:34 PM

The plans look specific to Chryslers, do you know if they would work for beemers? Has anyone used these for their BMW.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MIK_82' post='1037551' date='Oct 21 2009, 02:31 PM
I was researching some options for extended warranty and came accross CARCHEX, I had a brief chat with an online agent and got a quote for their best warranty coverage on my 04 530i(67000miles). The agent guaranteed that this is the best coverage i can recieve nationwide which is provided by Alpha Warranty Services and it covers everything bumper to bumper. He gave me two options from the same company:

1) 84months/125,000 miles - $2,892.00
2) 48months/100,000 miles - $2,429.00

He said that the company is one of the best companies out there for warranty services, its rated A on BBB and the warranty comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, its transferrable and can be used directly at the BMW dealership. This is an exclusionary warranty and heres a list of items it does not cover:

Not sure that BBB has a rating of A, B, etc.

What kind of Best Book rating does this company have?

Which ins company backs this company?

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
1.ANY REPAIRS DONE WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION BY ADMINISTRATOR.
2. If a failure occurs on a covered part within the first 30 days and 1,000 miles, the failure will be determined pre-existing condition.
3.Any loss when the Vehicle?s odometer has been tampered with, altered, allowed to remain nonfunctional, disconnected or broken.
4.Incidental or consequential damages or loss caused by a breakdown of components (or otherwise) including property damage, personal injury, inconvenience, and loss of Vehicle use. Punitive damages are also expressly excluded. MAJOR LOOPHOLE. TIMING CHAIN BREAKS AND ENGINE GETS DESTROYED. THEY WILL COVER TIMING CHAIN, BUT NOT REST OF ENGINE.
5.Repairs covered by the manufacturer warranty on the covered Vehicle, manufacturer recalls, and factory service bulletins. EVERY VEHICLE HAS HUNDREDS OF TSBs. THIS LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER MAJOR LOOPHOLE. Any warranty on parts and/or labor from any party other than the Administrator supersedes this Contract. IF YOU FIX CAR IN NY, AND SAME PART BREAKS IN CHICAGO, POLICY WANTS ORIGINAL REPAIR SHOP TO REPLACE PART. If the Vehicle or specific components on the Vehicle have a warranty, You are responsible for seeking coverage from the entity that provides the warranty. You are then subject to the terms and conditions of that warranty. The Administrator has no liability for that repair or any costs or inconvenience associated with that repair.
6.Repairs required because of collision, abuse, operation without proper lubrication or coolant, road conditions, misuse, negligence, exposure, alterations, lift-kits, oversize tires, racing, accidents, fires, floods, riots, acts of vandalism, theft, or terrorism. Any other losses normally covered by causality insurance.
7.Repairs required due to lack of proper and responsible maintenance, abuse through improper towing, and abuse through continued operation of an impaired Vehicle that shows signs of a clear mechanical problem. Any repair required due to normal wear and tear. A NOISY REAR END IS NOT COVERED BECAUSE IT CAN BE CONSIDERED WEAR AND TEAR. WORN BEARINGS ARE NOT COVERED IF WARR CO DECIDES THAT THIS IS PRE EXISTING, OR THAT YOU HAVE HAVE REPAIRED THIS EARLIER. CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES???
8.Repairs required due to overheating, regardless of the cause of overheating, or repairs required due to loss of fluids, regardless of the cause of the loss of fluids. These include, but are not limited to, loss of engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, freon, power steering fluid, or axle grease.
9.Repairs to be covered components that are performing the function for which they were designed. JIBBERISH???
10.Any repair to valves or worn piston rings where the malfunction is low compression and/or oil consumption. BURNT VALVES AND/OR SMOKING ENGINE IS NOT COVERED; NOTHING HAS BROKEN.
11.No coverage will be granted under this contract for any damage caused by failure to maintain the Vehicle to the standards of the manufacturer. This includes, but is not limited to, failures resulting from aftermarket modifications. Examples include, but are not limited to, suspension lift kits, superchargers, nitrous oxide kits, GPS systems, lighting accessories, and stereo systems. GPS WILL VOID WARRANTY ACCORDING TO THIS. EXTRA LIGHTS ALSO. PARA ABOVE ALSO TALKS ABOUT MODS VOIDING WARRANTY.
12.No coverage will be granted to Vehicles that are used for commercial, rental, or delivery purposes.
13.Manual transmission claims will not be covered if, at the time of failure, the clutch components are worn to the extent that replacement is required.
14.Pre-existing conditions are not covered by this service contract.
15.Tires, battery, all glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, brake rotors and drums, shock absorbers, exhaust components, catalytic converter, charcoal canisters, door handle assemblies, speakers, telephones, televisions, AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding three hundred dollars ($300) repair or replacement costs, GPS/Navigation systems exceeding three hundred dollars ($300) repair or replacement costs, combination GPS/navigation & radio units exceeding three hundred dollars ($300) repair or replacement costs, DVD players, game centers, audio/video equipment, radar detectors, touch screens and/or voice activated accessories, voice recognition systems, safety restraint systems to include airbags and related components, fusable links and fuses, circuit boards, head light assemblies, tail light assemblies, shop supplies, hazardous waste charges, bolts, screws, nuts, washers.
16.Any parts replacement or service which is considered normal maintenance by the manufacturer including but not limited to: tune-ups, carburetor adjustments, oil changes, chassis lubrication, engine adjustments, fuel system cleaning, repairs related to fuel or oil contamination, spark plugs and wires, front end alignments including adjustments/alignments to Covered Repairs, wheel balancing, positive crankcase ventilation valves, filters, belts, hoses, constant velocity and double offset joint seals and/or boots, brake linings or pads, manual clutch assemblies, friction disc, throwout bearings, pressure plate, manual hydraulic linkages, the following emission components: purge sensors/solenoids/valves, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck.
17.Imperfection in paint, trim or other appearance items, squeaks, rattles, wind noises, water leaks, body, door and glass alignment, weather strips, trim moldings, bright metal, chrome, upholstery, carpet, paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, sheet metal, vinyl and convertible tops and assemblies, tires, rims, and door hinge assemblies.

I have attached a copy of the actual contract.Please let me know your thoughts, my extended warranty will be over in Jun 2010 and I am wondering if i should buy an extended warranty or just buy another used car.
Disclaimer: Not notes above are my interpretation of the words you provided. We can all interpret your email in 25 different ways. I could be wrong about 1 or some or all of the above. Again, the words above bring my questions, comments, etc to the forefront. If you have any doubt about the contract or my words, ask the originators of the contract.

also:

Third party extended warranty notes to self:

1. Read the contract. Three or four times.
2. Check BBB.
3. Ask any friendly service mgr to read it for/with you. Buy him lunch.
4. What specifically does warranty cover?
5. What does it exclude?
6. Does it require actual breakage, or will it pay for worn rings, noisy rear end, etc?
Many warrs cover ONLY BREAKAGE.
7. If the repair costs exceed the value of the vehicle, how much will Alpha pay?
Many pay only up to the wholesale value of vehicle.
8. If the problematic item has a TSB, will the warr pay for it? Some will not pay
anything if there was ever a TSB on item. Cars typically have thousands of TSBs
on each model.
9. Does the warr provide new parts or used parts? If the used item fails, will warr
pay for labor on the next go around? The warrs will likely refer you back to junk
yard or shop that installed the item, hoping they have a warranty.
10. Repeat item. Have you asked your service mgr to read the contract with you?
Best advice you can ask for. He/she is the guy/gal who knows what is and what
is not a great contract.
11. What have you found on an internet search?
12. What is the best book rating on this company?
13. Are you aware that third party warrs go bankrupt at the rate of about 12 per
year? More now than ever.
14. If you ask for a refund, where does the company send the refund? To you or to
the dealer? What if the dealer goes out of business or goes bankrupt? How do you
get your $$ back?
15. What other questions do you have about or for the warr co?
16. Does warr pay entire labor cost, or just a portion?

A. google problems with xxx warranty. yahoo also. bing also.
B. service managers are experts on these contracts; they deal with contracts on a daily basis. forum members do not and are not.
C. Toyota, JM & A (Ford), Honda, GMPP, etc are well known warr cos. MasterTech also.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK THOROUGHLY.

c.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MIK_82' post='1037734' date='Oct 21 2009, 06:52 PM

Ask him what percentage of his claims are paid, denied, etc. I doubt that he will tell you that info. He has that info, cause that is how he develops his rates.

Not all companies have the same loopholes.

Get 3 or 4 contracts from companies, and read them, line item by line item. Difficult, but doable.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='1038390' date='Oct 22 2009, 03:32 PM
Disclaimer: Not notes above are my interpretation of the words you provided. We can all interpret your email in 25 different ways. I could be wrong about 1 or some or all of the above. Again, the words above bring my questions, comments, etc to the forefront. If you have any doubt about the contract or my words, ask the originators of the contract.

also:

Third party extended warranty notes to self:

1. Read the contract. Three or four times.
2. Check BBB.
3. Ask any friendly service mgr to read it for/with you. Buy him lunch.
4. What specifically does warranty cover?
5. What does it exclude?
6. Does it require actual breakage, or will it pay for worn rings, noisy rear end, etc?
Many warrs cover ONLY BREAKAGE.
7. If the repair costs exceed the value of the vehicle, how much will Alpha pay?
Many pay only up to the wholesale value of vehicle.
8. If the problematic item has a TSB, will the warr pay for it? Some will not pay
anything if there was ever a TSB on item. Cars typically have thousands of TSBs
on each model.
9. Does the warr provide new parts or used parts? If the used item fails, will warr
pay for labor on the next go around? The warrs will likely refer you back to junk
yard or shop that installed the item, hoping they have a warranty.
10. Repeat item. Have you asked your service mgr to read the contract with you?
Best advice you can ask for. He/she is the guy/gal who knows what is and what
is not a great contract.
11. What have you found on an internet search?
12. What is the best book rating on this company?
13. Are you aware that third party warrs go bankrupt at the rate of about 12 per
year? More now than ever.
14. If you ask for a refund, where does the company send the refund? To you or to
the dealer? What if the dealer goes out of business or goes bankrupt? How do you
get your $$ back?
15. What other questions do you have about or for the warr co?
16. Does warr pay entire labor cost, or just a portion?

A. google problems with xxx warranty. yahoo also. bing also.
B. service managers are experts on these contracts; they deal with contracts on a daily basis. forum members do not and are not.
C. Toyota, JM & A (Ford), Honda, GMPP, etc are well known warr cos. MasterTech also.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK THOROUGHLY.

c.
Thanks a lot for the great information z06bigbird, I will use your suggested approach for my research going forward. The company has A rating on BBB, however as you mentioned there are too many loop holes and I cant afford to take such a big risk. I will look into the warranty companies you have listed but now i'm scared and dissapointed with extended warranties in general cause they all seem to have loopholes. I really like my car and want to be able to drive it for another year or two but since its SMG, i dont want to drive it without a warranty .

I have seen so many people drive their cars upto a 100,000 miles and I have always wondered what warranty they were using, I wish some one with an existing extended warranty would chime in as well and throw some more options.

Quick Reply: CARCHEX Extended Warranty