Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Car in for service

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Apr 28 2005, 11:40 AM
I'm just wondering...? Seeing as how the updates can be done via Bluetooth, and I know people who can seemingly get -anything- on the Internet...
[snapback]121359[/snapback]
I don't think updates can be done via Bluetooth (at this time).

Most likely, in the future, the concept of "self-updating" or "user updating" will be implemented (it makes too much sense not to implement it) but I doubt it'll use BT. I'm betting on some flavor of WiFi (802.11x) will be used...
Old 04-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Apr 28 2005, 11:40 AM
I'm just wondering...? Seeing as how the updates can be done via Bluetooth, and I know people who can seemingly get -anything- on the Internet...

What are the odds that we could just do this ourselves with a laptop?

Anyone who has experience updating firmware on anything... from consumer gear like DVD players or digital cameras to IT stuff like routers, switches, IP phones, etc... should be able to perform this as if it were second nature.
[snapback]121359[/snapback]
The updates can be done via Bluetooth? That's the first I've heard of this. I tend to doubt it really, but if it's really possible please point me to the info. on that.

Even *IF* you could get ahold of the right files, installer, diagnostics, required (??) passwords etc., and a means to make the required physical connection, why would you risk turning a $60,000 automobile into an inoperative huge paperweight, and then having to pay a dealer to restore it to operation because of your unauthorized 'screwing around' with it while it was under warranty?
Old 04-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Well I picked up my car this afternoon. No update performed There was a car standing at the update computer. After that car there was another car on the waiting list and after that one it was my turn.

That would have meant I could pickup my car tomorrow afternoon. I had a 318d automatic as a loaner without nav (not a great car).

The dealer is gonna give me new windowseals so I get rid of the noises they make (the new version) and I have to come back for that anyway. So I decided to get the update when they are doing my windows anyway. That will be within a day or 10 hopefully.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Even *IF* you could get ahold of the right files, installer, diagnostics, required (??) passwords etc., and a means to make the required physical connection, why would you risk turning a $60,000 automobile into an inoperative huge paperweight, and then having to pay a dealer to restore it to operation because of your unauthorized 'screwing around' with it while it was under warranty?
This is BMWs fault. They should use a computer system that is reliable and fast. We live in an age where computer technology is unbelievable, and so cheap.... yet they use an archaic system in a $70,000 car.

It's ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Members

CIP version 12 then 15.1 and now 16.2 ... is CIP software updating continous process ?

Do we have to stick with dealer to get always newer versions .. ? or is it better to ask for updates only if a problem occurs ?

Any way .. getting more features from newer versions is a good thing for us...
Old 04-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 28 2005, 05:22 AM
The dealers obviously do not like updating software... and I think they will tell you ANYTHING to persuade you not to get it.... whether it is true or not.

This is because the hardware & software are so poorly designed, that it takes hours to update it.
In addition, a typical dealer can only update a single car at a time.

So updating cars means that they waste a lot of time, and therefore potential money updating software for hours that really should have been designed to be updated in minutes.

We have computers today that operate at 4 GHz.? And they are dirt cheap.? Why BMW has to use a system that is so slow is absolutely beyond comprehension.
[snapback]121254[/snapback]
For CIP 15.0 and above, dealer must use a new system which has the capibility to update multi-car in parallel.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Apr 28 2005, 06:10 PM
Well I picked up my car this afternoon. No update performed? ? There was a car standing at the update computer. After that car there was another car on the waiting list and after that one it was my turn.

That would have meant I could pickup my car tomorrow afternoon. I had a 318d automatic as a loaner without nav (not a great car).

The dealer is gonna give me new windowseals so I get rid of the noises they make (the new version) and I have to come back for that anyway. So I decided to get the update when they are doing my windows anyway. That will be within a day or 10 hopefully.
[snapback]121381[/snapback]
Dennis,
Cud u get specifications No for the new seals pls?