Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Car in for service

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

My car is in for service and an update to 16.2. The tech wants to wait and update the car to 17.0 wich will come end of may (he says). This is because 17.0 should solve more problems than 16.2 does.. This sucks bigtime.. My complaint on the bmw logo/black screen, bmwlogo/black screen at startup to get a free update is backfiring on me
He says 16.2 doesn't have a solution for that yet..
Old 04-28-2005, 03:14 AM
Senior Members

i think you should go ahead and update whatever they have now. i think the dealer's strategy is pushing everybody to the newer sw. when the new one comes, then they are going to say the next one is better. this will never end. by the time you schedule an update, almost time to sell your car already .
Old 04-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The dealers obviously do not like updating software... and I think they will tell you ANYTHING to persuade you not to get it.... whether it is true or not.

This is because the hardware & software are so poorly designed, that it takes hours to update it.
In addition, a typical dealer can only update a single car at a time.

So updating cars means that they waste a lot of time, and therefore potential money updating software for hours that really should have been designed to be updated in minutes.

We have computers today that operate at 4 GHz. And they are dirt cheap. Why BMW has to use a system that is so slow is absolutely beyond comprehension.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 28 2005, 06:22 AM
The dealers obviously do not like updating software... and I think they will tell you ANYTHING to persuade you not to get it.... whether it is true or not.

This is because the hardware & software are so poorly designed, that it takes hours to update it.
In addition, a typical dealer can only update a single car at a time.

So updating cars means that they waste a lot of time, and therefore potential money updating software for hours that really should have been designed to be updated in minutes.

We have computers today that operate at 4 GHz.? And they are dirt cheap.? Why BMW has to use a system that is so slow is absolutely beyond comprehension.
[snapback]121254[/snapback]
Dealer told me it takes 5 hours to up grade the 16.2. You have a good point in what you are saying.
cheers
vern
Old 04-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I'll call them at the end of the day to tell them I want the update!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d, orient blue, Dakota beige, Dynamic Drive, Xenon, Nav Prof, Bluetooth, comfort seats, PDC, curve lights, 135M wheels

Updated to 16.2 yesterday. The operation took 5 hours - when I came to pick up the car they told me that they had to do it all over again because the software reported a problem with the active steering. I had to tell them that this probably was due to the fact that my car doesn't have active steering........
Old 04-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Apr 28 2005, 12:07 PM
..........17.0 wich will come end of may (he says)......... This sucks bigtime.........
[snapback]121240[/snapback]
I would have to disagree with the last statement if the first statement is TRUE. Version 17 at the end of May!! They have been saying October, May would be outstanding
Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by moema535d' date='Apr 28 2005, 10:30 AM
Updated to 16.2 yesterday. The operation took 5 hours - when I came to pick up the car they told me that they had to do it all over again because the software reported a problem with the active steering. I had to tell them that this probably was due to the fact that my car doesn't have active steering........
[snapback]121336[/snapback]
Haha... good one! Sounds like the techie checked off the wrong options when updating the software.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I have CIP 16.1 and boot up time ranges from instant to 8 seconds. This is the same as systems in the Audi and ACURA RL, before the warning message. I don't think they like updating.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I'm just wondering... Seeing as how the updates can be done via Bluetooth, and I know people who can seemingly get -anything- on the Internet...

What are the odds that we could just do this ourselves with a laptop?

Anyone who has experience updating firmware on anything... from consumer gear like DVD players or digital cameras to IT stuff like routers, switches, IP phones, etc... should be able to perform this as if it were second nature.

Quick Reply: Car in for service