Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Canada - US Exchange and pricing for 5 series

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007 | 05:57 PM
Members

The Canadian dollar is now at 1.06 per US Dollar...a big shift in the past few months. As a Canadian buyer of a 528i I cannot help but be tempted to buy in the US since I live in Toronto - about 1.5 hrs from Buffalo.

Does anyone have any comments about the exchange rate and what your dealer is saying about this ? Has anyone in Canada purchased from the US and can you provide some info/details ?

The 528i I ordered in Canada at 63k builds for around 52k US = 55k CDN = for an 8K difference. That is ridiculous...and the gap gets bigger on a 535 or 550....any comments would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2007 | 06:18 PM
Members

A few things to consider.

a) A US dealer will not knowingly sell you a new car. However there are ways around this such as buy slightly used or buy through someone with a U.S. address. Depending how you do it you can be stuck with U.S. tax.

b) You must pay duty (6%), and GST (another 6%), plus federal import fees and provincial inspection fees (in total about $500).

c) You loose the free BMW maintenance plan when you import a car. Canadian dealers will honor the warrantee, but not the maintenance. Since you are so close to the border this may not be an issue, it actually may be a benefit since the U.S. maintenance program is more inclusive than the Canadian program.

d) One other thing to aware of is that the U.S. cars have some features as options that Canadian cars have as standard or included in a package i.e. PDC in premium package, fold down seats, and I also heard that comfort access is now standard on some 5 series models.

I imported a car recently. I purchased a one year old 530i and saved a bundle as the US used cars are cheaper than used Canadian cars.

In the end there is a potential to save some money, but not as much as you think. If you decide to import, search the site for some information on how to import.

Good Luck
Old 06-17-2007 | 08:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Thanks for the info.

I live in Vancouver and am considering the same thing. Seattle is 3 hour drive and it looks like 535 money in Canada will give me a 550 stateside. Bhorne: Why do you say a US dealer will no knowingly sell to a Canadian? A sale is a sale, or does BMW corporate discourage this?

The maintenance is something to consider, but not really that big a cost. For me I would have to pay the 6.1% duty, 7% provincial, 6% GST and the $500+/- in fees and am still ahead buy $5-6K. Has anyone from Canada done this?
Old 06-18-2007 | 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='436835' date='Jun 17 2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info.

I live in Vancouver and am considering the same thing. Seattle is 3 hour drive and it looks like 535 money in Canada will give me a 550 stateside. Bhorne: Why do you say a US dealer will no knowingly sell to a Canadian? A sale is a sale, or does BMW corporate discourage this?

The maintenance is something to consider, but not really that big a cost. For me I would have to pay the 6.1% duty, 7% provincial, 6% GST and the $500+/- in fees and am still ahead buy $5-6K. Has anyone from Canada done this?

I live in West Van and know someone in Kelowna who does this sort of thing quite regularly. I'll try to dig up his contact info for you, I know that the guys at the local dealerships are concerned about cross border shopping.We are thinking about the US as an option for next purchase but I must admit we get taken care of so well at Jessel that it will be hard to leave them.

I'll be in touch when I find the info for you.

Cheers
Old 06-18-2007 | 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='436835' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:59 AM
does BMW corporate discourage this?
not discourage, forbid

a dealer could lose its franchise

once might be an oops, but more than once is a ...
Old 06-18-2007 | 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='436990' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:30 PM
not discourage, forbid

a dealer could lose its franchise
Why? There are a lot of laws in the US dating back to the 20s or 30s separating what a car manufacture can require from it's distribution channel (hence, manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price). So are you saying that the manufacturer can limit the distributor on a geographic basis?

btw, this is not a challenge, I'm just looking to learn.
Old 06-18-2007 | 06:51 PM
Members

Apparently they can, and they openly admit it; however Canadians can by used cars from them....go figure.
Old 06-21-2007 | 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Given that I do this for a living, following is what to expect.
6.1% DUTY
$100.00 Excise Tax on A/C
6% GST
$195.00 to R.I.V.
Provincial Sales TAx , rate differs in each province

Certain BMW models I.E. M5 or X5 with large engine are subject to our new fuel consumption tax which ranges between $3,000.00 - $4,000.00 depending on model and fuel consumption

Be warned that the permanent export of a motor vehicle is regulated by US Customs & Border Patrol, so there is a proceedure that must be followed or you could be subject to a huge fine by them.

Freight, unless you drive the car back, you will need a transit sticker and don't forget about making sure vehicle is insured before you drive it back.

You will need a federal inspection, which can be done at any Canadian Tire outlet for under $100.00 , some provinces also require a Provincial inspection

If US versions are like Canadian, your speedometer and odometer will be in MPH only, you are not obliged to change the speedometer, but you will be forced to put a sticker near the odometer advising that it is calibrating in miles per hour. Unless you decide to change the speedo and odo, anyone that you may resale the car to will know it is a US import, will this effect resale value, could be.

You will also need to obtain a letter from BMW USA or an AMERICAN BMW dealer stating that here are no outstanding recalls on the car.

I am currently arranging the import on between 10 - 15 vehicles a week and due to the exchange rate, our numbers are going up each week, there is a huge demand. Keep in mind, any car that has been manufactured in Canada, USA or Mexico are duty free so the 6.1% does not apply.