Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Buying an E60 at auction

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinardi' post='811194' date='Mar 8 2009, 11:43 PM
A few questions about auctions here:

Have any of you bought your cars at auction?

Just how much difference are there in the auction prices compared to dealer prices?

Is it worth paying a dealer price just for the peace of mind for after sales on such an expensive car?
You can do this and you may pick up a bargain or you may get a lemon (little of no come back if you have issues), personally having spent ?700 in my first month of ownership I will never buy from a small garage again. Leasing or Approved used is the only one for me now, with it you get piece of mind for at least a year. These cars can be expensive to fix and run (still great though), at least with one from a main dealer you know that everything has been checked and you are going to drive away in a car that is in close to new condition.

Just my thoughts, good luck with what you decide.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Members

I looked at the auction as well prior to getting my CPO. There wasnt good inventory believe it or not. 550i were scarce. tons of 530i etc. It was a huge savings however. Have to be well versed in the condition reports that BMW uses etc. 1->5
Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6sp, sport pack, nav, cold pack, active steer.

Originally Posted by JLinardi' post='811194' date='Mar 8 2009, 11:43 PM

Just how much difference are there in the auction prices compared to dealer prices?

Is it worth paying a dealer price just for the peace of mind for after sales on such an expensive car?

I got mine at an auction almost 2 years ago and paid a few thousand below what the dealer would charge for a car on the lot. As long as you can find any used car dealer who will buy one for you, it is no brainer. I pay my dealer about $500 above the auction price with auction fees, but I do all the work, find the car, make my research, stay on the phone with the dealer when he bid, and pick up the car myself.

If the car is still on the warranty, you don't have much to worry about, just check the vin's history. Sometimes it may list the dealer where it was taken to. Mine did, I called them , got the service history and was happy to hear that all the visits shown on the carfax were for scheduled maintanance.

If you shop in US, I can help locating one for you.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by JLinardi' post='811194' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:43 AM

Answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought car from dealer here in UK. Recently found out they released a car to me with a damaged exhaust. They do not want to replace it on warranty because they claim its not defective and BMW UK will not do it under warranty. BMW UK will ONLY exchange defective parts.

See my thread here

The tone of voice they give me is that, I damaged the exhaust under my care and hence they are washing their hands of the matter. So IMO, you might as well buy from any venue and just hope the purchase is going to he good. Its pot-luck really. Buy at a dealer is always more expensive but you can source low mileage cars. As for problems, you will get it anywhere.

cheers
Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Contributors

im not just saying this because im selling a E60...
but i dont think it matters where you buy from as long as the car is checked out...you can get stung privatly/dealer/garage, and you can buy a genuine car from the same, i say have a dam good look, have a good long drive, ask loads of questions...then go with your gut instinct....thats why you have one......
Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='811892' date='Mar 9 2009, 10:04 PM
im not just saying this because im selling a E60...
but i dont think it matters where you buy from as long as the car is checked out...you can get stung privatly/dealer/garage, and you can buy a genuine car from the same, i say have a dam good look, have a good long drive, ask loads of questions...then go with your gut instinct....thats why you have one......
+1.

That said the dealer I bought from did not give me a test drive. The salesman drove the car around. When I asked to drive it he gave me some cockameemee about the car not insured for others to drive. i was too desperate for the car and since I dealt with the dealer years ago, I went ahead and bought it.

Although the dealer is better than most large scale companies which are usually totally useless as a dealer, I am still on the look out for a nice small dealership near by that can offer a personal customer service.

cheers.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='811258' date='Mar 9 2009, 12:48 AM
good question. some banks may not offer a loan for a car from an auction...
You may be referring to flim flam auctions ... thousands of preowned cars, including high line types like BMW, Mercedes, Porsche are moved through "auctions" like Manheim every week.

These professional operations are closed to private buyers - auto brokers and dealers are the main participants.

In past years I've worked with broker(s) to select specific cars that I've been interested in buying at auction. But, like any buying experience, you have to become an informed consumer or run the risk of being fleeced!