Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Buying assistance 535d Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

After much browsing and test driving and reading many many posts i have finally decided to go ahead and buy my self a 535d sport.

I have a list of options that are a must, as follows :

Leather
Media Pack
Bluethooth Phone with Advanced Voice
Visibilty Pack
Electric Front Seats
Heated front seats
19" Alloys

I've been doing some searhing on the BMW Site and Autotrader and there's a fair amount of them up for sale at BMW Dealers.

Before i visit a dealer i'd like to know a few things and hopefully you guys can help out.

I'm looking for something thats got under 8k miles on it, what sort of discount should i be able to get off the dealers, i remember back in March 2004 when i bought my current 320d sport touring i got 10% off retail as it was a new car, any idea's what i should try and aim for?

As i cant find any with TV anyone know if i can add this after ?

I've been told to try and find one with 19's that dont have the run flats, what the advantage of not having run flat tyres?

In a nut shell i'm looking for a car with as many options as possible and dont have the time to wait for a new build?

I've managed to find 3 cars with the above options and also something called Hi Fi Loudspeakers, i understand there is three types of audio systems, the standard, the HIFI and the Logic, can anyone here explain the differences please?

Any other advice including any options you guys might think is a must would be really great.

If i do decided to wait and buy new what discounts can i get off list ?

Thank you very much.

P.S, if anyone knows of any high speced 535d sports for sale let me know please.

Edit

Can someone please also explain the 07 model, i have noticed some people are stating there cars are 07, what the difference and how can one tell what model it is?

UK
Old 09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: Dec 55 535d sport, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Electric Sunroof, Media Package, Visiblity Package with Adaptive Bi-Xenons & Headlight Wash, Folding mirrors, 19" M172 wheels, Rear spoiler, Sun Protection Glass

Originally Posted by eazyrog' post='330457' date='Sep 3 2006, 05:19 PM
Hello,

After much browsing and test driving and reading many many posts i have finally decided to go ahead and buy my self a 535d sport.

I have a list of options that are a must, as follows :

Leather
Media Pack
Bluethooth Phone with Advanced Voice
Visibilty Pack
Electric Front Seats
Heated front seats
19" Alloys

I've been doing some searhing on the BMW Site and Autotrader and there's a fair amount of them up for sale at BMW Dealers.

Before i visit a dealer i'd like to know a few things and hopefully you guys can help out.

I'm looking for something thats got under 8k miles on it, what sort of discount should i be able to get off the dealers, i remember back in March 2004 when i bought my current 320d sport touring i got 10% off retail as it was a new car, any idea's what i should try and aim for?

As i cant find any with TV anyone know if i can add this after ?

I've been told to try and find one with 19's that dont have the run flats, what the advantage of not having run flat tyres?

In a nut shell i'm looking for a car with as many options as possible and dont have the time to wait for a new build?

I've managed to find 3 cars with the above options and also something called Hi Fi Loudspeakers, i understand there is three types of audio systems, the standard, the HIFI and the Logic, can anyone here explain the differences please?

Any other advice including any options you guys might think is a must would be really great.

If i do decided to wait and buy new what discounts can i get off list ?

Thank you very much.

P.S, if anyone knows of any high speced 535d sports for sale let me know please.

Edit

Can someone please also explain the 07 model, i have noticed some people are stating there cars are 07, what the difference and how can one tell what model it is?

UK
Eazyrog, am in the same boat as u mate, have been looking for ages for a high spec and have a ?34k budget- best bet is to watch autotrader and ebay.

Best on ebay are these but it looks dodgy:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-BMW-535D-SPORT-AUTO-SILVER_W0QQitemZ300022749102QQihZ020QQcategoryZ9837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Old 09-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by zerocool242001' post='330462' date='Sep 3 2006, 11:44 PM
Eazyrog, am in the same boat as u mate, have been looking for ages for a high spec and have a ?34k budget- best bet is to watch autotrader and ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-BMW-535D-SPORT-...bayphotohosting
phone a dealer and ask them to price your car against a demonstrator they are now selling off for replacement.get your trade price.then tell them to look on the bmw factory order for a cancelled or pre order slot car with your spec. and be firm on your specs.so the sell a car that is not in there quota of customers.and they will find the car.start with a specific requet.like the colour.sat nav ,hud,media etc
Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Hi,

i think you forgot one of the most importamnt options - Comfort Seats !! . And if you have some more money, Active Steering would be great for all those windy roads and tight city streets ! i have both on mine and wouldnt trade it for the world !

Logic 7 has 13 speakers while Hi Fi has 10. Logic 7 has a surround system that splits 2 channel stereo into 7 channel digital. Has extra base.

folding down rear seats is a good option too for carrying those long loads.

For the kind of discount you are looking for, you could get a new one from germany via the discount brokers on the internet. i think they do rhd also.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eazyrog' post='330457
Absolutely. The run-flats kill the ride and composure! The only advantage of runflats is when they get a puncture...

Originally Posted by eazyrog' post='330457' date='Sep 3 2006, 11:19 PM
Standard audio is just 'ok'. The Hi-Fi option increases the amount and quality of the speakers and Logic 7 includes the better speakers and a DSP. Hi-Fi is probably, on balance, best...
Old 09-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

My '05 535d is pretty much specced as the one you want to buy, so I can't fault it!

Only thing I would advise is to get sport seats (which I have, and I am comfortable with) or comfort seats (which I have never tested, but are raved about in this forum!)

Price-wise, I think 10% off new price is achievable; 10% off what the dealer is asking I think not. I have seen the price the dealer paid for my car, and they had a ?1000 margin at the price I bought... (and that was ?1000 below sticker).

Good hunting!

D

EDIT: sorry - just noticed your edit. MY 07 has a few minor changes. Different DSC/DTC (with brake drying), start/stop button instead of turning the key (useless if you don't have comfort access), aux-input in the console between the rear seats and availability of DAB tuner. AFAICR, that's it. Safest way to tell is to see if it has a start/stop button.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by zerocool242001' post='330462' date='Sep 3 2006, 11:44 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-BMW-535D-SPORT-...bayphotohosting

Guys, a friend of mine works as a contractor buyer/seller for a car leasing company. He can either try to find the car you want as a full buy, or arrange finance based on a PCP scheme. Finance is through Lombard, 6.5%APR below ?25k, or 6%APR above ?25k.

He sorted my 530d Sport for me last September. As far as I know, all the cars sourced come from UK main dealers. Mine came from Rydale Warley, was an ex-dem, 4000k on the clock.

If you're interested at all, PM me, and I could get some figures for you based off physical cars which are currently at UK BMW dealerships. They can sell them on for less than the advertised dealer price.
Maybe worth a look for comparison sake if nothing else.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='330590' date='Sep 4 2006, 11:46 AM
10% off retail is achievable but you'll probably have to haggle hard! BMW dealers don't like giving discounts easily...
I managed ?4k off list. You can see the spec in my sig.

Oh, and a full tank of fuel plus dealer paid for cherished plate transfer and threw in the velour mats and bluetooth cradle...

ABC
Old 09-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Yup. generally a dealer can get up to 8% profit depending on how many extras you order. they have more margin on the extras.

In german the margin is huge. a 535d is 51,000 base price at the dealer and 43,000 euros new if u buy it from an internet broker (who is also making profit !! )

i am afraid u got fooled. its a common trick by dealers to show you a list which seems to be cost price but it isnt.

Ronald
Old 09-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by ronald_adi' post='330692' date='Sep 4 2006, 06:04 PM
Yup. generally a dealer can get up to 8% profit depending on how many extras you order. they have more margin on the extras.

In german the margin is huge. a 535d is 51,000 base price at the dealer and 43,000 euros new if u buy it from an internet broker (who is also making profit !! )

i am afraid u got fooled. its a common trick by dealers to show you a list which seems to be cost price but it isnt.

Ronald
Don't think so.
(I assume you are referring to my post, as I am the one that mentioned cost price.)

There is relatively little way someone can fiddle VAT books/accounting records, if you know how to read them. I haven't seen a "list". I have seen the bill of sale for the car signed by the seller + the accounting entries on the dealership system. If the dealer is putting significantly wrong numbers on these, he/she risks serious problems with the tax office.

I should have made it clearer that I'm not talking of a new car, and neither is the OP. We are (were) both looking for a low mileage second hand, and the price I paid is reasonable for a dealer purchase, given the car's spec.

BTW: I very much doubt your figure of ?43,000 all in (MWST/VAT, registration, delivery etc.) for a new E60 535d. This would imply a margin of >18%, which is nowhere near the margin these guys (can) make. If this were really the price, there would be plenty of UK buyers flocking over to Germany as it used to happen in the late '80s and early '90s, but not anymore. And it's not because we have all suddenly grown rich...

Quick Reply: Buying assistance 535d Sport