Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Bringing my car into the dealer for service.... $$ OUCH!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530Xi

Ok so I just want to make sure that this price is average for a dealer to charge for a brake job.... Being that I got the pads, rotors, and sensors at shop cost (dad owns an autobody shop), theyre charging me 202$ to do the front, and $202 to do the rear LABOR ONLY!

Does this price seem right to you guys? Obviously any other shop would charge less but I'd like the quality work of a dealer (even though that too can be questionable).

ALSO, I am going to mention to them that my doors no longer lock as I drive off like it used to. I think this happened after I disconnected the battery.

Lets see what the verdict is tomorrow should I decide to actually shell out the cash.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by dmateo' post='1031191' date='Oct 13 2009, 08:11 AM
Ok so I just want to make sure that this price is average for a dealer to charge for a brake job.... Being that I got the pads, rotors, and sensors at shop cost (dad owns an autobody shop), theyre charging me 202$ to do the front, and $202 to do the rear LABOR ONLY!
Does this price seem right to you guys? Obviously any other shop would charge less but I'd like the quality work of a dealer (even though that too can be questionable).

An indy mechanic charged me less than $200 to swap ALL FOUR rotors and pads on my wife's MB. If I had the time I could have done it myself for free.

Swapping rotors and pads isn't rocket science - a dealer can't do the job any better than an indy. So unless you like spending more money than necessary - find a good indy mechanic. Post your location and someone here can give you some recommendations.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by dmateo' post='1031191' date='Oct 13 2009, 06:11 AM
ALSO, I am going to mention to them that my doors no longer lock as I drive off like it used to. I think this happened after I disconnected the battery.
Door lock functions are controlled by iDrive under Vehicle Settings and saved in your key...

It may be that you are using a different key, or otherwise the setting got changed. Regardless, you should be able to re-enable door locking in iDrive...
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd either go to an independent shop or do it yourself. You might talk to the guys at your dad's autobody shop, as I bet that many of them can easily do it and they may even be willing to teach you to do it. That would be the best of both worlds.

You probably need one brake pad sensor for the front and one new brake pad sensor for the rear, if you don't already have them.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

feels good to still be under free service. lol.

Which btw I've got to extend mine.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributors

(dad owns an autobody shop),
how come its not being done at your dad's shop?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Lets see what the verdict is tomorrow should I decide to actually shell out the cash.
Its not that hard to do it, I would never have the dealer do it, you are just paying for the BMW certified symbol on your invoice. When I do it myself I torque everything to spec, at the dealer I have seen them just put it together as fast as possible so I don't think you really get better service @ the dealer. If you dad owns an auto body shop Im surprised he didn't say he would do it for $50 and a case of beer!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi

Originally Posted by ukamath' post='1031468' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:43 PM
Its not that hard to do it, I would never have the dealer do it, you are just paying for the BMW certified symbol on your invoice. When I do it myself I torque everything to spec, at the dealer I have seen them just put it together as fast as possible so I don't think you really get better service @ the dealer. If you dad owns an auto body shop Im surprised he didn't say he would do it for $50 and a case of beer!

I forgot to mention I'm away at school. Will a regular shop be able to reset the i-drive? I know it shows how many miles are left until they need to get replaced. I figured thats why the sensor would need to get replaced but then again im not a tech...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

You can reset the service indicator yourself. No tools are required. +1 on a indy shop. Most of the quality shops used to work at the stealership. I'm sure there is a local forum member who would do it for $50, fish tacos, and dosequis.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I know MANY people who will switch it out for $100 labor. It's such an easy job. I, myself, is very lazy now and I do not feel like swapping them out. Do not pay more than $100. It is honestly a piece of cake.

Quick Reply: Bringing my car into the dealer for service.... $$ OUCH!